News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New major league sports teams

Started by Poiponen13, February 17, 2023, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

If some of the Big Four Leagues expands, where the new teams would go and how they would be named? Some proposals:
Sacramento NHL IceBreakers, NFL Notties, MLB Questions
Houston NHL Aeros
Louisville NBA Coaters, NHL Louises NFL Villains, MLB Stokings
Virginia Beach NBA Colonists, NHL Rhinos, NFL Teas, MLB Martins
Hawaii Honu

JayhawkCO

This seems like ChatGPT has stopped working correctly.

GaryV

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 17, 2023, 10:54:59 AM
As for new sports teams, I think they should be named after interstate highways. Preferably teams wearing I-80 and I-90 shirts would likely yield the most competitive spirit. Their individual player numbers could be represented with a mile marker symbol on the back.
The I-90 team has to play in an arena suspended over Lake Michigan.

Poiponen13

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 17, 2023, 10:48:56 AM
What does that mean?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 17, 2023, 10:59:29 AM
What does that mean?

Determining the best city for a new NBA team to expand is a complex issue that depends on various factors such as market size, fan support, arena availability, and ownership group. However, here are a few potential cities that could be considered for the next NBA team:

1. Seattle: Seattle is a city with a rich basketball history, having previously hosted an NBA team, the Seattle SuperSonics, until they moved to Oklahoma City in 2008. Seattle has a strong sports fan base, a growing population, and a vibrant economy, making it a prime location for a new NBA team.

2. Las Vegas: Las Vegas is a popular destination for sports and entertainment, and its booming economy and growing population make it an attractive market for the NBA. The city has already proven its ability to support major sports events, including the NBA Summer League, which is held in Las Vegas each year.

3. Mexico City: Mexico City is one of the largest cities in the world and has a passionate fan base for basketball. The NBA has already played regular-season games in Mexico City, and the league has expressed interest in expanding to international markets.

4. Vancouver: Similar to Seattle, Vancouver has a history of hosting an NBA team, the Vancouver Grizzlies, until they moved to Memphis in 2001. Vancouver has since undergone significant growth and development, making it a potentially attractive market for the NBA to return to.

Ultimately, the decision of where to expand the NBA will depend on a variety of factors, including ownership interest, arena availability, and other logistical considerations.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on February 17, 2023, 11:07:46 AM
What does that mean?

Determining the best city for a new NBA team to expand is a complex issue that depends on various factors such as market size, fan support, arena availability, and ownership group. However, here are a few potential cities that could be considered for the next NBA team:

1. Seattle: Seattle is a city with a rich basketball history, having previously hosted an NBA team, the Seattle SuperSonics, until they moved to Oklahoma City in 2008. Seattle has a strong sports fan base, a growing population, and a vibrant economy, making it a prime location for a new NBA team.

2. Las Vegas: Las Vegas is a popular destination for sports and entertainment, and its booming economy and growing population make it an attractive market for the NBA. The city has already proven its ability to support major sports events, including the NBA Summer League, which is held in Las Vegas each year.

3. Mexico City: Mexico City is one of the largest cities in the world and has a passionate fan base for basketball. The NBA has already played regular-season games in Mexico City, and the league has expressed interest in expanding to international markets.

4. Vancouver: Similar to Seattle, Vancouver has a history of hosting an NBA team, the Vancouver Grizzlies, until they moved to Memphis in 2001. Vancouver has since undergone significant growth and development, making it a potentially attractive market for the NBA to return to.

Ultimately, the decision of where to expand the NBA will depend on a variety of factors, including ownership interest, arena availability, and other logistical considerations.
Hope that NBA expands soon.

Poiponen13

MLB will expand to Montreal in 2033.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 17, 2023, 10:54:59 AM
44 topics total by Poiponen, 5 in the last day, and counting.

The Souky Forum Topics, if the communist regime will allow it
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

What does that mean?

Strings of seemingly incongruous words mashed together.

Takumi

If Hampton Roads somehow got an MLB team (and it would pass several larger markets to do that) it would most likely go in Norfolk, which already has a stadium.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Takumi on February 17, 2023, 12:10:46 PM
If Hampton Roads somehow got an MLB team (and it would pass several larger markets to do that) it would most likely go in Norfolk, which already has a stadium.

They have a stadium that seats at least 30k?

jp the roadgeek

32 is a nice round number, so I don't see the NFL and NHL expanding anytime soon, unless the NFL does so internationally.

As for the NBA, Vega$ and Seattle seem to be the logical choices.  Seattle was pretty much promised one when the Sonics moved to OKC.

MLB is a little less certain with where the expansion teams would go.  Much of it is contingent on the A's potential move to Vega$.  It seems Les Rays du Montreal isn't going to happen with plans for a new St Petersburg ballpark just announced.  So it leaves 4 cities to really consider: Charlotte, Nashville, Portland, and Montreal.  I would love to see Montreal get a 2nd chance, and many want to see them get an AL team to play the Jays more (as well as draw in Red Sox fans from northern Vermont and Yankees fans from the North Country of NY).   However, they DEFINITELY need a new ballpark; Stade Olympique is a dump.  I went to a game there once and it wasn't a great experience.  Charlotte and/or Nashville will definitely get one of the teams regardless of the A's situation. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Louisville, Virginia Beach, and Sacramento can't support 4 major sports teams.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Poiponen13

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 02:02:36 PM
But Houston can. NHL team to there asap.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 17, 2023, 02:09:55 PM
Yeah I think that Houston should have an NHL team as well. Those other cities could probably support 1 or 2 teams, but not all 4.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Poiponen13

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 02:12:22 PM
Yeah I think that Houston should have an NHL team as well. Those other cities could probably support 1 or 2 teams, but not all 4.
Definitely SuperSonics to Seattle and Expos to Montreal. Oh, and promotion and relegation.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 17, 2023, 12:03:19 PM

No, that's Lorem ipsum.

ChatGPT, in contrast, is text that makes total syntactic sense as an answer to your question, asserted with unflinching authority, and close enough to the answer your were suspecting all along but with additional details only hinted at in your previous research, that you accept the answer as gospel truth, because anything that's smarter than Google couldn't possibly be wrong.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 17, 2023, 02:15:49 PM
Definitely SuperSonics to Seattle and Expos to Montreal. Oh, and promotion and relegation.
I'm not the first one to say that promotion and relegation would never work in North American sports.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 02:18:04 PM
I'm not the first one to say that promotion and relegation would never work in North American sports.
No no no no. They would work. At least Minor League Baseball and lower hockey could have promotion and relegation.

LilianaUwU

Québec City will have a NHL team long before one in Houston.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 17, 2023, 02:17:59 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 17, 2023, 12:03:19 PM

No, that's Lorem ipsum.

ChatGPT, in contrast, is text that makes total syntactic sense as an answer to your question, asserted with unflinching authority, and close enough to the answer your were suspecting all along but with additional details only hinted at in your previous research, that you accept the answer as gospel truth, because anything that's smarter than Google couldn't possibly be wrong.

But that's why I said it's ChatGPT gone wrong. Either way, there are a whole lot of words put together in the OP that don't make sense.

WillWeaverRVA

I do know Virginia Beach has tried several times to get a NBA team or even a NBA G League team, and there was even a plan to build an arena to host a major league sports team (the Sacramento Kings were in talks to relocate to Virginia Beach), but those efforts died a few years ago. Virginia Beach does have a multipurpose indoor sports center that could reasonably host a G League team (it seats 5,000), but right now it doesn't look like any G League teams are interested in relocating, and the facility has been operating at a loss since it opened during a global pandemic and all.

The Norfolk Scope seats 11,000 and actually previously hosted the ABA's Virginia Squires (which folded when the ABA merged with the NBA), but the building is in dire need of renovation. The ECHL's Norfolk Admirals play there, and the arena currently hosts the MEAC men's basketball tournament. The Hampton Coliseum, which seats 13,000, has the same issues and hasn't hosted a professional or college sports team since the 1990s.

At this point the most likely location for a major non-football sports team in Virginia is Richmond, as a 17,500-seat arena will soon be built in Henrico County on Parham Road near I-95 in the space currently occupied by Best Products' former headquarters. That arena is expected to open in 2026.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

CoreySamson

Quote from: LilianaUwU on February 17, 2023, 02:42:53 PM
Québec City will have a NHL team long before one in Houston.
I dunno, given how the situation with the Arizona Coyotes lately, we could see a relocation to Houston sooner than you'd think. I would definitely become interested in hockey if we got the Aeros.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 17, 2023, 02:20:29 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2023, 02:18:04 PM
No no no no. They would work. At least Minor League Baseball and lower hockey could have promotion and relegation.

Oh, well, apparently all you need to do to show you're right is just say you are in bold text. None of this annoying, time-consuming "convincing people" stuff. :rolleyes:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Pro/rel requires a lot of teams to already be on somewhat equal and stable financial footing. No minor league in this country is even close to that. Japan managed to do it in the 1990s only after blowing up the original soccer system and subsidizing the hell out of the second division for a while.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.