News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor football leagues

Started by Poiponen13, February 21, 2023, 08:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:59:41 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:41:24 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:24:12 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 12:33:30 PM
Alabama should have NFL team.

Given that Connecticut has a WNBA team and no other major sports, I think this one is actually quite reasonable.

Since nobody responded to this: who agrees with me, and who disagrees with me?
I'm definitely against NFL expansion regardless of the location, but I also don't think Connecticut would be a great place. It's heavily Patriots, and some New York. Salt Lake City would be the best option IMO, as there's not an overwhelming favorite team there. That's my vote for the Saints relocation if/when they don't want to build a new stadium in New Orleans once the Superdome's lifespan ends, or conditions in New Orleans seriously deteriorate. But they could run into issues with Sunday games and a heavily Mormon population.
If New Orleans floods, I believe that the Saints should play in Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge so they can stay in the region, which is football-crazy. The Saints are very popular.
How football-crazy will it be when New Orleans is underwater? Are the fish Saints fans?
The rest of Louisiana will still exist, and the Saints and football in general are popular all over the region.
LSU will still dominate and with no New Orleans there's not enough people in Louisiana to support both.

(To be clear, I don't think New Orleans is going underwater that soon. It's much more likely that the Superdome gets too old, so the Saints need a new stadium and either can't get the funds for it from NOLA taxpayers or don't want to build it in NOLA due to the city's decline, so they move.)
That Superdome though is quite resillient. It's from the 70s and is still hosting Super Bowls.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

Until 1976, there was an exhibition game between the college all-stars vs. the presiding NFL champions: https://www.history.com/news/chicago-college-all-star-game-nfl-1976

hotdogPi

For clarification, I was saying that because UConn exists, Connecticut has a WNBA team, therefore, Alabama (the school) existing means Alabama (the state) can have an NFL team. I was not proposing an NFL team in Connecticut.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 22, 2023, 02:53:54 PM
I think San Antonio/Austin could work, especially if they build the stadium between the two and market the team as if it belongs to both cities.

That's a lot easier said than done, especially since they couldn't call it "Texas ____s" because of the Texans. A better solution would be to market the team for one city, but build the stadium in a location accessible for both cities. For example, somewhere between Selma and New Braunfels for a San Antonio team.

This would be a lot less complicated than trying to market it for two cities, while having basically no impact on the amount of fans it draws. The Bills are actually a great example of this, as they draw heavily on the Rochester area to fill the stadium. People here root for the Bills and go to their games because they're the "local" team and the stadium is only about an hour away, not because they're partly a Rochester team. There's actually a friendly rivalry between the two cities for things such as population, annual snowfall, etc. - but the Bills still draw plenty of support from both cities despite being a Buffalo team.

ethanhopkin14

To the original topic, I have never understood the fascination of creating a spring league.  Yes, you don't have to compete with college or the NFL, but there is still an open market in the fall.  Basically Tuesday and Wednesday are dead and could have room for another league. Would I watch on Tuesday or Wednesday?  Most likely not because I might be footballed out by then, but I know fans in non NFL markets might be looking forward to Tuesday/Wednesday football. 

1995hoo

On a more serious note than my prior comment regarding Alabama, I was living in North Carolina when the Carolina Panthers joined the NFL. They played their first season at Clemson while their stadium in Charlotte was under construction and moved into that stadium in 1996. I remember the North Carolina media talking about the arrival of an NFL team, which plays on Sunday, being a big cultural adjustment to a city with a very heavy church-going population because of adjustments in how people heading to the game would dress for church and the like. I only spent three months living in Alabama in the summer of 1997, but I feel reasonably confident that on the whole, it's an even heavier church-going state than North Carolina is, so I wonder how much of a culture shock an NFL team might be there. NASCAR doesn't really count in either case because it's not the same sort of thing where you'd have as frequent an event (an NFL team plays eight or nine regular-season home games a year, whereas a NASCAR speedway hosts at most two race weekends, or in Charlotte's case it used to host three due to the all-star race that is at North Wilkesboro this year).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2023, 03:24:08 PM
On a more serious note than my prior comment regarding Alabama, I was living in North Carolina when the Carolina Panthers joined the NFL. They played their first season at Clemson while their stadium in Charlotte was under construction and moved into that stadium in 1996. I remember the North Carolina media talking about the arrival of an NFL team, which plays on Sunday, being a big cultural adjustment to a city with a very heavy church-going population because of adjustments in how people heading to the game would dress for church and the like. I only spent three months living in Alabama in the summer of 1997, but I feel reasonably confident that on the whole, it's an even heavier church-going state than North Carolina is, so I wonder how much of a culture shock an NFL team might be there. NASCAR doesn't really count in either case because it's not the same sort of thing where you'd have as frequent an event (an NFL team plays eight or nine regular-season home games a year, whereas a NASCAR speedway hosts at most two race weekends, or in Charlotte's case it used to host three due to the all-star race that is at North Wilkesboro this year).
America as a whole is far less religious than it was in the 90s

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 03:25:11 PM

The question was not what "America as a whole" might be. The question was what Alabama might be, which I suspect is very different from a place like New York.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2023, 03:26:44 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 03:25:11 PM

The question was not what "America as a whole" might be. The question was what Alabama might be, which I suspect is very different from a place like New York.
There are already NFL teams all over the south in places such as Nashville and Jacksonville. I honestly don't think that church would play much of a huge role- the games are in the afternoon (probably mostly at noon or 3:25 CST).

1995hoo

Heh, I don't know why it should be a problem anyway, but the media made a big deal out of it. I remember once a friend of mine asked if I could give her a ride to Mass and I said I could not because I was going at a different time so I could watch a game. She seemed taken aback and I said, "Isn't that sort of the point of having multiple Masses every weekend? You go to the one that fits your schedule on a given weekend, or you go to the one that you like the best based on the music style or whatever." My parents went on Saturday evening for years. Maybe the predominant Protestant denominations down there don't have as many options for their congregations.

CoreySamson

As a former resident, I can confirm that pretty much all of Louisiana loves the Saints. Moving them to Baton Rouge probably wouldn't cause too many issues if it were to happen, and in fact it would make it easier for the fans in Lafayette, Shreveport, etc. to go to Saints games.

Poiponen said something about an Oklahoma expansion team as well. As much as I love the idea given how crazy Oklahoma is for football, I don't think that it is a good idea. Oklahoma's TV markets are already swamped by the Cowboys and Chiefs.

I did make a map a couple months ago exploring if the NFL were to create a supplemental spring league (almost like an NBA G-league or a minor baseball league). It is merely a thought exercise, not a real proposal:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=19gmv6LjDzVrE7PyvcsK7XD_JR2BqCeA&usp=sharing
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Big John

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 22, 2023, 05:24:13 PM
I did make a map a couple months ago exploring if the NFL were to create a supplemental spring league (almost like an NBA G-league or a minor baseball league). It is merely a thought exercise, not a real proposal:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=19gmv6LjDzVrE7PyvcsK7XD_JR2BqCeA&usp=sharing
They already tried that with WLAF and NFL Europe.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on February 22, 2023, 03:19:59 PM
I think San Antonio/Austin could work, especially if they build the stadium between the two and market the team as if it belongs to both cities.

That's a lot easier said than done, especially since they couldn't call it "Texas ____s" because of the Texans. A better solution would be to market the team for one city, but build the stadium in a location accessible for both cities. For example, somewhere between Selma and New Braunfels for a San Antonio team.

This would be a lot less complicated than trying to market it for two cities, while having basically no impact on the amount of fans it draws. The Bills are actually a great example of this, as they draw heavily on the Rochester area to fill the stadium. People here root for the Bills and go to their games because they're the "local" team and the stadium is only about an hour away, not because they're partly a Rochester team. There's actually a friendly rivalry between the two cities for things such as population, annual snowfall, etc. - but the Bills still draw plenty of support from both cities despite being a Buffalo team.

Why can't there be the Texas ____ (Armadillos)?  If the CFL at one time could have two teams named the Rough Riders (Roughriders) then there can be a Houston Texans and a Texas Xs.

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 23, 2023, 10:11:45 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 22, 2023, 03:19:59 PM

Why can't the be the Texas ____ (Armadillos)?  If the CFL at one time could have two teams named the Rough Riders (Roughriders) then there can be a Houston Texans and a Texas Xs.

Heh, and then you have the odd situation in MLS, where there are three different teams named "United" (D.C. United, a member from the beginning, along with much-more-recent additions Atlanta United and Minnesota United, both 2017 expansion teams). In the CFL's case, at least there was a good reason for it–both teams had those names in predecessor leagues and when the CFL formed, they kept their existing names.

Poiponen13

Teams could share whole names with major league teams, like former MLB St. Louis Cardinals and NFL St. Louis Cardinals.

hotdogPi

Back to a previous discussion: I'm at a restaurant right now, and one of the TVs was just switched to teqball. It appears to be a 2v2 volleyball variant where you can't use your hands and there's a central surface the ball can bounce on. There are definitely other sports out there, not just the big four or five.

The game being shown is women's, US vs. Hungary (but only players representing the countries rather than the countries themselves).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2023, 03:54:16 PM
Maybe the predominant Protestant denominations down there don't have as many options for their congregations.

I haven't been to a church in years (if I step inside one of them now I might spontaneously catch fire), but I seem to remember that most Baptist churches have two services, one on Sunday morning and a rerun on Wednesday evening. If you were the sort that wants to out-Jesus the rest of your social circle, you'd go to both. (I remember as a kid I had some reason where I was dragged to both Sunday and Wednesday services by a friend and being annoyed that I had to sit through a sermon that was more or less identical to the one I had just sat through a few days before.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 25, 2023, 10:12:26 AM
Teams could share whole names with major league teams, like former MLB St. Louis Cardinals and NFL St. Louis Cardinals.

They did, between 1960 (when the football Cardinals moved from Chicago) to 1987 (their final season in St. Louis before they moved to Arizona).

There was also the New York Football Giants, who shared a name with the baseball Giants from their founding in 1925 until the baseball team moved to San Francisco in 1958.  Sharing nicknames in the same city was nothing unusual decades ago.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 25, 2023, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2023, 03:54:16 PM
Maybe the predominant Protestant denominations down there don't have as many options for their congregations.

I haven't been to a church in years (if I step inside one of them now I might spontaneously catch fire), but I seem to remember that most Baptist churches have two services, one on Sunday morning and a rerun on Wednesday evening. If you were the sort that wants to out-Jesus the rest of your social circle, you'd go to both. (I remember as a kid I had some reason where I was dragged to both Sunday and Wednesday services by a friend and being annoyed that I had to sit through a sermon that was more or less identical to the one I had just sat through a few days before.)
I very occasionally still go to church. My church used to have 2 services sunday morning but because of lack of demand, we only have 1 service now, plus an online livestreamed one. I bet though that I lived in Oklahoma I would feel the same way about church that Scott does (going to leave the relgion talk here).

CoreySamson

The churches that I've been to have a midweek service, but it is not merely a "rerun" of the Sunday service. Instead, they usually have youth service and kids service running concurrently and have the main service as more of a message aimed at adults (parenting, etc.). I think having more than one service on Sunday is unnecessary though. As a regular volunteer, I like having church once at 10AM rather than twice at 9AM and 11AM. But one of the big draws of the 9AM service back at my home church (in what most people on the forum excluding me call the South) was being able to go to church then go back home to watch the noon NFL games.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2023, 04:30:05 PM
Back to a previous discussion: I'm at a restaurant right now, and one of the TVs was just switched to teqball. It appears to be a 2v2 volleyball variant where you can't use your hands and there's a central surface the ball can bounce on. There are definitely other sports out there, not just the big four or five.

The game being shown is women's, US vs. Hungary (but only players representing the countries rather than the countries themselves).

Axe throwing?

Mike

Poiponen13

The minor football season would start in late February, then run until early June, then pause for a NFL-minor league cup tournament, then start again in mid-July, then the regular season would end in early September, then playoffs would be played until mid-October. Some playoff series would be best-of-three and others two-game total points series. Some of the rounds ("weeks") would be played entirely on weekdays. There would be a Monday night game every week and a Friday night game every three weeks. Most games would be played on Saturdays and Sundays.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.