News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Netflix to end DVD-by-mail service that changed video rental industry

Started by bing101, April 18, 2023, 08:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 02, 2023, 08:35:36 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on April 21, 2023, 04:15:56 AM
Hang on to all those DVDs. By 2045 or so there will be a move that makes them trendy again, like vinyl.

Except unlike vinyl, CDs and DVDs can degrade significantly after a few years, especially if stored improperly or in a humid environment.

CDs are rather indestructible, even if stored improperly. I have used CDs I've bought where the entire thing was clearly submerged in water given the booklet condition and it plays fine. As 1 above confirmed, CDs from the 1980's (I have some confirmed back to manufacture in 1985) that play, even on a computer, just fine. I only have a few CDs out of over 2,000 that have some sort of issue, and usually if so track 1 seems to take the brunt of it.

ZLoth

Most of my DVDs have been replaced by their BluRay equivalents because of the higher image quality. Of those that are irreplaceable, I have created ISOs backups and stored them on my server and backed up to an external hard drive. In addition, my entire physical media collection has been "ripped" and available for my private use, however, anything above stereo sound has been reduced to stereo because 5.1/7.1 sound isn't needed in the bedroom or home office.

The biggest problem I see at the moment is "laser rot" where, due to problems with the adhesive during the manufacturing process, the laser disc halves are separating.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

I had kept a CD in a case for decades and it some how ended up with scratches at perfect 90-degree positions (think N, S, E, W) that looked like vinyl record grooves.  I liked to think that I took good care of my CDs by being careful with them, so this was frustrating and inexplicable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

triplemultiplex

Issues like this are why I would advocate for media piracy.  With all the shortcomings of physical media, physical media players, and endless disputes between giant corporations who own copyrights, it's a moving, expensive target to keep track of what you want to watch/listen to.  Add a layer of "Oh you can't say that anymore" and there is a strong case that the best way to consume media is to download a pirated copy and store it locally.  That will never go bad; you'll always be able to update that media to future file formats.  You can have your own back ups since data storage is cheap.  The corporate overlords can never 'pull that episode' because it turns out the star raped someone or they say "retard" too much.  It will never disappear from the streaming service you paid for because some other streaming service snatched up the rights.  And you'll won't have to put up with that obnoxious cropping some outlets do to old 4:3 aspect ratio shows to "make it fit" on today's 16:9 screens.  I hate that so goddamn much.

The way the consumer has been dicked around over the last decade, I have zero sympathy for the institutions that have created this ridiculous media ecosystem.  They screw over people who try and play by the 'rules', so screw them.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Used CDs are $2-$3 now, and even if you put it on a computer, you have the physical file and truly do own it. No need to pirate.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.