News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Themed Cities in an area

Started by roadman65, April 24, 2023, 01:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 25, 2023, 10:06:47 AM

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2023, 09:53:31 AM

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2023, 09:52:42 AM
Interstate 180 in Wyoming is an Interstate, but it is not a freeway. No ambiguity there.

Exactly.  And Wales is a country but not a sovereign nation.

From one perspective, of course. However, the most common definition of the word country is sovereign nation, and from that perspective Wales isn't one regardless of what it calls itself. These sorts of arguments tend to result from a claim that one definition takes precedence over another without any explanation as to why.

So back to my question:  what do you call England?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2023, 10:09:07 AM

Interstate 180 in Wyoming is an Interstate, but it is not a freeway. No ambiguity there.

From one perspective, of course. However, the most common definition of the word country is sovereign nation, and from that perspective Wales isn't one regardless of what it calls itself. These sorts of arguments tend to result from a claim that one definition takes precedence over another without any explanation as to why.

That was a question you were asking someone else, so I will bow out here.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Max Rockatansky

Were larger British imperial possessions in the past like India claiming they were a sovereign nation?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 25, 2023, 10:26:37 AM
Were larger British imperial possessions in the past like India claiming they were a sovereign nation?

The British Raj had both areas ruled directly by the Crown and areas ruled as suzerainties (the latter of which numbered in the hundreds).  Notably, when the United Nations was founded in 1945, India was one of the original members–even while it was still part of the Empire.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

I kind of missed this before, but my basic point is the same. The argument has erupted no this forum any number of times, and it always revolves around the relative precedence of labels versus traits.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

skluth

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2023, 10:09:07 AM

Nothing nice if you're Irish

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

skluth

I live in Palm Springs. Nearby are Thousand Palms, Twentynine Palms, Biskra Palms, and Palm Desert. We also have lots of other desert vegetation in names like Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley, and Pinyon Pines. The Desert theme is also popular with the aforementioned Palm Desert, Desert Hot Springs, Desert Edge, Desert Camp, Desert Shores, and a whole lot of desert-related names like Oasis, Mecca, Thermal, Sandy Korner, Cactus City, and Bermuda Dunes.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2023, 09:32:36 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 25, 2023, 09:11:06 AM

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2023, 09:10:26 AM

Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2023, 09:26:32 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2023, 09:12:06 PM
then...

U.K. and the U.S. are countries.

Their component parts are not.

So what do you call England, then?

England is part of the U.K., just like Scotland and Wales.

I asked what you call it.  I assume you call New Hampshire and Utah "states", Alberta and Ontario "provinces", Brittany and Corsica "regions", etc.  What do you call England?
It's a state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

As long as you're consistent, I guess...

– You've got a strong accent.  What country are you from?
– England.
– That's not a country.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

then...

I don't agree.  Wales and Scotland had their own cultures and languages before they were conquered by the English.
U.S. states were generally settled by people from the same country, with a possible exception for Hawaii.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on April 26, 2023, 10:37:57 PM
then...

I don't agree.  Wales and Scotland had their own cultures and languages before they were conquered by the English.
U.S. states were generally settled by people from the same country, with a possible exception for Hawaii.

I don't see how the Welsh and Scottish having their own cultures and languages prior to being conquered means that Scotland and Wales are countries.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

golden eagle

Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2023, 10:15:23 PM
Apparently, CA has lots of places (not just towns, either) named after saints:

Santa Ana
Santa Anita
San Andreas
Santa Barbara
San Bernardino
San Carlos
Santa Clara
Santa Clarita
San Clemente
Santa Cruz
San Diego
San Fernando
San Francisco
San Gabriel
San Jose
San Juan Capistrano
San Leandro
San Luis Obispo
San Mateo
Santa Monica
San Pablo
San Rafael
San Ramon
Santa Rosa
San Ysidro

...and that's just to name a few.

Every place in California has a San/Santa, El/La, Las/Los or a Rancho. Or it seems like it.

Scott5114

Santa Anita isn't an actual saint. Some guy just snuck his wife's name in there with a "Santa" in front of it and nobody noticed.

Most of the rest were named by Spanish explorers who got lazy with the place names and would just name anything they discovered after whatever saint's day it happened to be that day.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

index

I have always found the naming of the towns along the former Norfolk & Petersburg RR (and modern-day US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk) interesting. Ivor, Waverly, etc.

Supposedly the wife of the railroad's developer took inspiration from old Scottish novels for many of the stops, which the towns took their names from, with the exception of the town named Disputanta, named when they could not agree on what to use. There are other place names, like Zuni, that are not related to this theme, but seem to fit in with the other interesting names nonetheless.

That, and the section of US 460 there is a very long, razor-straight stretch of undivided four-lane highway, which is quite rare. Overall an interesting and unique corridor.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Rothman

Quote from: index on June 02, 2023, 07:41:29 AM
I have always found the naming of the towns along the former Norfolk & Petersburg RR (and modern-day US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk) interesting. Ivor, Waverly, etc.

Supposedly the wife of the railroad's developer took inspiration from old Scottish novels for many of the stops, which the towns took their names from, with the exception of the town named Disputanta, named when they could not agree on what to use. There are other place names, like Zuni, that are not related to this theme, but seem to fit in with the other interesting names nonetheless.

That, and the section of US 460 there is a very long, razor-straight stretch of undivided four-lane highway, which is quite rare. Overall an interesting and unique corridor.
Waverly, VA: From rail pit stop to speed trap town...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.