News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that feel like a different place driving in opposite directions

Started by 1995hoo, February 19, 2015, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The thread about Staten Island in the Northeast subforum caused me to think of this question.

I'm curious about roads you think feel like you're in a totally different place depending on which direction you're driving. The reason can be whatever reason you deem appropriate.

For me, as the first sentence of this post suggests, the classic example is the Staten Island Expressway, especially the portion east of Todt Hill and the former ghost ramps. To me the eastbound drive feels like I'm in a completely different place from the westbound drive. I've never been completely sure why, but I think it's due to the view out the front. Heading east you're plunging downhill and you see the Verrazano Bridge ahead pretty much the whole time; heading west you never see the bridge and you see a lot of hills ahead of you. So what you see as you're driving feels completely different each way. I asked my brother and father once and they had the same feeling–the westbound drive feels like a completely different place. (Also, I would not be surprised if the way there are different exits in each direction, with different BGSs, on that particular road might factor in as well.)

Curious if anyone else ever has that same feeling anywhere.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

corco

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2015, 10:47:02 AM
The thread about Staten Island in the Northeast subforum caused me to think of this question.

I'm curious about roads you think feel like you're in a totally different place depending on which direction you're driving. The reason can be whatever reason you deem appropriate.

For me, as the first sentence of this post suggests, the classic example is the Staten Island Expressway, especially the portion east of Todt Hill and the former ghost ramps. To me the eastbound drive feels like I'm in a completely different place from the westbound drive. I've never been completely sure why, but I think it's due to the view out the front. Heading east you're plunging downhill and you see the Verrazano Bridge ahead pretty much the whole time; heading west you never see the bridge and you see a lot of hills ahead of you. So what you see as you're driving feels completely different each way. I asked my brother and father once and they had the same feeling–the westbound drive feels like a completely different place. (Also, I would not be surprised if the way there are different exits in each direction, with different BGSs, on that particular road might factor in as well.)

Curious if anyone else ever has that same feeling anywhere.

US 191 from Rock Springs to Jackson, WY. Southbound it is a miserable flat drive with absolutely nothing to see, no vegetation, no nothing. Northbound is an impressive panorama of the Wind River and Grand Teton mountains, including the highest mountain in Wyoming.

hbelkins

Never been on it, but I'd think the Moki Dugway would have to qualify. If I ever drive it, I definitely want to do it in the downhill direction.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

Eastbound on the lower deck of the Bay Bridge feels quite different than the awesome views seen on the westbound approach into San Francisco.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2015, 12:06:19 PM
I'd think any double-decker bridge would qualify.

Might depend on whether each deck is one-way or two-way. Consider the Verrazano or the George Washington, for example, both of which have two two-way levels.

I had to look up the Moki Dugway mentioned in your other post. That looks wild. I'd love to go see that someday.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2015, 12:12:44 PM
I had to look up the Moki Dugway mentioned in your other post. That looks wild. I'd love to go see that before FritzOwl makes it into I-17.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on February 19, 2015, 01:31:15 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 19, 2015, 12:12:44 PM
I had to look up the Moki Dugway mentioned in your other post. That looks wild. I'd love to go see that before FritzOwl makes it into I-17.

I don't read the Fictional Highways subforum very often, so I'm missing the joke if there is one there.

bing101

CA-110 North From Downtown LA to Figeroa Tunnels feel different than CA-110 South from the I-5 Interchange to Downtown LA.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bzakharin

I've never been there, but apparently, the NJ-29 "tunnel" (really a cut and cover) is not sealed on all sides, so it feels like a real tunnel in one direction, but as ha view of the Delaware river in the other.

vdeane

I-87 between the Adirondacks and Plattsburgh.  NB, it's just a flat boring road.  SB, it's actually scenic because the flatness provides a great view of the mountains.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

texaskdog

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2015, 11:26:50 AM
Never been on it, but I'd think the Moki Dugway would have to qualify. If I ever drive it, I definitely want to do it in the downhill direction.

we went down and it was awesome!

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2015, 11:26:50 AM

I drove it up and then U-turned and went back down. The view isn't different since all the twisting and turning means you can see cliffs above and the valley below in both directions. Definitely drives differently, though - going up involved a lot of use of the gas pedal. Going down I put my car in low gear and mostly just rolled, braking as needed.

Honestly if you're going to pick only one direction to drive it in I'd say go up. Reason why is when you get to the top there's a spot you can pull over and get out to admire the drop dead gorgeous panoramic view. Much more fulfilling to do that after driving up than before driving down, I'd think.

The extreme example of a different experience in different directions involving a double decker freeway would be the Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnel in Pittsburgh. Going west you're on the lower level over the bridge (bridges if you came from 279) and then you go in a tunnel, pop out and are outta town. Going east you emerge from the tunnel to downtown in front of your face.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.