News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Temperature: latitude vs. time of day

Started by hotdogPi, December 31, 2018, 10:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

It's 4 PM, and you're driving due south (or as close as possible) on a freeway, e.g. Toledo to Cincinnati. On average, will the temperature get warmer from getting closer to the equator, or will it get colder from becoming nighttime?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on December 31, 2018, 10:03:08 AM
It's 4 PM, and you're driving due south (or as close as possible) on a freeway, e.g. Toledo to Cincinnati. On average, will the temperature get warmer from getting closer to the equator, or will it get colder from becoming nighttime?
Not sure about that road, but try driving from Flagstaff to Phoenix...

Truvelo

You'd have to drive a lot further than staying within Ohio for the distance to the equator to take effect. If you could take a flight from Toledo to Orlando departing at 4pm then the temperature in Orlando when you land will likely be higher than it was in Toledo when you boarded.

There are many variables to consider such as weather and the time of year. The position of the jet stream will also be a big factor.
Speed limits limit life

webny99

Definitely colder because it's nighttime --- although the nighttime low in Cincinnati might be higher than it is in Toledo. That is, it might get colder at a slightly slower rate than it would if you just stayed in Toledo.

I enjoy theoreticals like these - I've often thought about leaving home at sunrise and driving in the direction of the sunset all day - how much more daylight could you get out of the same day?

Also, if you left on a ~westbound flight at sunrise, could the flight - if there were flights this long - make it around the entire globe before sunset?

What route/direction would you have to travel, depending on season, to experience the least variation in temperature as possible over 24 hours, or more?
What is the optimum leave-time?

jeffandnicole

Eliminating a whole bunch of variables (mainly, weather conditions and altitude) and simply focusing on distance vs. sunlight, it'll probably get a bit colder, but not considerably so.

If sky conditions remain constant the entire time, it'll get a bit chillier on a clear night, and very little temperature change on a cloudy night.

kalvado

Quote from: webny99 on December 31, 2018, 11:49:24 AM

I enjoy theoreticals like these - I've often thought about leaving home at sunrise and driving in the direction of the sunset all day - how much more daylight could you get out of the same day?
Consider I-90. Driving from Boston to Buffalo - 6.5 hour trip will give you 33 minutes extra.
Continue to Cleveland for a 10 hour trip and gain another 7 minutes (should be more, I would think).

vdeane

Of course, it isn't exactly straight.

For fun, I decided to try Jacksonville to Houston on I-10, which is pretty straight, and takes about 12 hours, so it should be a good average day length.  Using the sunrise/sunset time on September 21, the sun would rise at 7:14 AM EDT and set at 7:19 PM CDT (vs 7:24 PM EDT for Jacksonville), nearly an hour extra daylight.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 31, 2018, 02:22:14 PM
Depends on DST.
:evilgrin:

In case you couldn't tell, I was headed in that direction...  :-D

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2018, 01:35:49 PM
Of course, it isn't exactly straight.

For fun, I decided to try Jacksonville to Houston on I-10, which is pretty straight, and takes about 12 hours, so it should be a good average day length.  Using the sunrise/sunset time on September 21, the sun would rise at 7:14 AM EDT and set at 7:19 PM CDT (vs 7:24 PM EDT for Jacksonville), nearly an hour extra daylight.

Something like Boston to Detroit, OTOH, captures the extremes within a single time zone, making the benefits easier to realize.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on December 31, 2018, 05:18:23 PM
Depends on DST.

Except the total amount of sunlight in a day isn't affected by DST.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2018, 09:19:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 31, 2018, 05:18:23 PM
Depends on DST.

Except the total amount of sunlight in a day isn't affected by DST.

Yeah, I know that --- just that it was me that brought sunlight into the thread (both literally and figuratively, I'm sure :-D)

nexus73

On the Oregon coast you can have a calendar day where 4 AM is warmer than 4 PM.  What causes this are weather systems coming out of the south in the late fall and winter seasons.  They are warmish but can cool down over the course of several hours. 

Rick 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.