News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

codyg1985

There are also some direct connection driveways on I-40 in North Carolina through the Pigeon River Gorge. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.697237,-83.045247,3a,75y,4.03h,79.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scfOcWmkFu3uMmi8ANspkqA!2e0

The roads mostly serve forest roads and such.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 31, 2015, 10:12:17 AM
There are also some direct connection driveways on I-40 in North Carolina through the Pigeon River Gorge. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.697237,-83.045247,3a,75y,4.03h,79.17t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scfOcWmkFu3uMmi8ANspkqA!2e0

The roads mostly serve forest roads and such.
The Texas ones are unique in that traffic is allowed to cross the median. Otherwise it's just a RIRO like on I-80 at the Delaware Water Gap.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

I just read about the conversion of US 59 to I-69 in Houston. I knew it would be a matter of time before it happened.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Grzrd

Quote from: wxfree on March 18, 2015, 10:09:09 PM
From the 3-26-15 agenda:
Harris County - Designate a segment of the state highway system as I-69, concurrent with US 59 from the existing I-69 termini at I-610 North and I-610 West in the city of Houston
Quote from: nolia_boi504 on March 25, 2015, 08:30:29 AM
I-69 should finally be designated in the inner loop Thursday, 3/26
http://blog.chron.com/thehighwayman/2015/03/i-69-coming-through-houston-though-few-likely-to-notice/
Quote from: Grzrd on March 26, 2015, 02:08:44 PM
the approved Minute Order

This March 28 blog discusses I-69 signage in the Houston area. Basically, over the next few months, I-69 shields will be placed next to US 59 shields and the I-69 shield emblem will be added to existing BGSs:

For those interested in Houston's newest interstate, despite its existence having practically no effect on travel times, here's some more info on the recent dedication of U.S. 59 inside Loop 610 as Interstate 69.
First, none of the U.S. 59 signs are going away. I-69 are being added, gradually, over the next couple months, said Karen Othon, spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Transportation in Houston. Crews are making the signs, and will put them where the current U.S. 59 signs are now.
Othon said the segment officials recently designated is more complicated than others in the area because there are so many signs and references to the highway. Officials estimate the new signs along the 11-mile segment will cost about $100,000.
Larger signs, such as the overhead directional signs common above downtown lanes, won't be replaced, Othon said. In most cases, an I-69 emblem will just be added.

Also, it may be a long time before I-69 mileage markers and I-69 exit numbers appear in the greater Houston area because the exact "zero" point in Victoria has not been established yet.  Here is an email Q & A that I recently had with TxDOT:

Q:  Now that there is a roughly 75 mile stretch of I-69 in the greater Houston area, does TxDOT have firm plans to install I-69 mileage markers and I-69 exit numbers on that stretch in the near future?

A:  The "zero"  point for I-69 originating out of Victoria has not been established yet and probably will not be until US 59 has been brought up to interstate standards from the US 77/US 59 interchange in Victoria to Fort Bend County line. There may be alignment variations that would change the mileage. Therefore, the plans are to hold off until that section is designated.

It is interesting to compare this situation to I-2.  Although at least two relief route studies are underway for US 83/Future I-2 between Mission and Laredo that could alter mileage, TxDOT has approved the installation of mileage markers and exit numbers from Mission eastward.

Also, since I have a theory that I-2 will ultimately be routed along the Cuatro Vientos Road section of Loop 20, and ultimately have its "zero" point at the I-69W interchange instead of the I-35/ US 83 intersection, I find TxDOT's decision regarding the I-69 mileage markers to be somewhat ironic.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Grzrd on April 01, 2015, 12:03:33 PMAlso, since I have a theory that I-2 will ultimately be routed along the Cuatro Vientos Road section of Loop 20, and ultimately have its "zero" point at the I-69W interchange instead of the I-35/ US 83 intersection, I find TxDOT's decision regarding the I-69 mileage markers to be somewhat ironic.

I think that's just part of the quirkiness of the Houston Division of TxDOT. They appear to have a tendency to be rather conservative compared to the rest of the state when it comes to signage changes, mileage numbering, etc.

Leads to another question - is it specifically prohibited in TX to have exit numbering on US or state highways? Seems odd that they're missing on 288, for example.

NE2

Quote from: TXtoNJ on April 01, 2015, 01:07:58 PM
Leads to another question - is it specifically prohibited in TX to have exit numbering on US or state highways? Seems odd that they're missing on 288, for example.
There are some on US 59, US 82, Loop 375, and several other routes. (Some older ones on US 75 too.)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2015, 01:26:56 PM
There are some on US 59, US 82, Loop 375, and several other routes. (Some older ones on US 75 too.)

U.S. 54 (Patriot Freeway) in El Paso has had mile markers and exit numbers, and then had them changed.

Central Expressway (U.S. 75) has always had exit numbers which lead me to wonder when I was a kid why U.S. 75 was signed like it was an interstate, yet no other U.S. highway in Texas was this extensively signed.

Of course there are the odd balls out there, like U.S. 59 in Lufkin has 3 numbered exits and in Livingston has 2.

The inconsistencies are just one of those things growing up in Texas,  I think it is because we have so many districts that love to do things their own special way, so much that going into a new district feels like going into a new state.

roadman65

Florida the same way with districts doing their own thing.

FDOT D4 and FDOT D1 have a difference in signing US 98.  Along the east shore of the mighty Lake Okeechobee where US 98 runs north and south with US 441, the 4th district signs it E-W, while where US 98 runs due east and west from the City of Okeechobee to US Highway 27 in the 1st district it is signed N-S.  Considering that D2 and D 7 follow suit in signing all parts of US 98 N-S south of Perry, D4 is in its own state.

Then between FDOT D4 and D5, you have different control cities for I-95 at entrance ramps.  FDOT D5 uses Jacksonville for NB I-95 and ocassionally uses Daytona Beach at two Brevard County interchanges and Miami for SB I-95.  FDOT D4 uses Daytona Beach for NB and West Palm Beach for SB.

The Panhandle is also different from the Peninsula as far as signs go as well.  D3 which is the district for most of the Panhandle uses slotted sign posts where the rest of Florida's state maintained signs use mono tube posts.  Also County line signs along I-10 in the Panhandle use large green signs while the Peninsula districts use small signs at county borders.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TXtoNJ

Quote from: NE2 on April 01, 2015, 01:26:56 PM

That's right. Thanks for the reminder.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 15, 2014, 11:56:31 PM
It looks like TxDOT has corrected the map ... :

There is not an I-69W shield in Laredo, though.

Laredo now has an I-69W shield on the updated Texas Official Travel Map:

All three suffixes are now on the map.

yakra

Still nothing on the Statewide Planning Map, however.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Henry

Quote from: Grzrd on April 07, 2015, 05:53:20 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 15, 2014, 11:56:31 PM
It looks like TxDOT has corrected the map ... :

There is not an I-69W shield in Laredo, though.

All three suffixes are now on the map.
Let the madness begin!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

OCGuy81

Will the three suffixed routes meet at a single point? 

Looks like 69E might be the first to branch off, and I'm curious if that will be the terminus of mainline 69? 

Grzrd

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 09, 2015, 01:06:22 PM
Will the three suffixed routes meet at a single point? 
Looks like 69E might be the first to branch off, and I'm curious if that will be the terminus of mainline 69?

The short answer is that the three suffixed routes will not meet at a single point and that the "zero" post for I-69 will be in Victoria, with more detailed discussion in and around this post.

Quote from: oscar on August 29, 2014, 02:08:59 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 28, 2014, 12:29:55 PM
This August 26, 2014 Alliance for I-69 Texas article reports that, in addition to the large ceremonial I-69W sign, signage is currently being installed along the newly designated I-69W section, I-35, and other roadways:
Not addressed by the Alliance article (maybe it doesn't care about lowly sub-Interstate routes), but anything on US 59 signs going up on the new I-69W segment and the northeastern part of Loop 20, and the bypassed part of US 59 being re-signed as Business US 59?
Quote from: Grzrd on April 07, 2015, 05:53:20 PM

In addition to an I-69W shield, the Texas Official Travel Map has both a US 59 shield on Loop 20 and a BR US 59 shield along the former US 59. Do we have any confirmed sightings in the field for I-69W shields (and concurrent US 59 shields) and/or US 59 shields on the Future I-69W part of Loop 20 and/or US 59 Biz shields (assemblies?) along the former US 59?

OCGuy81

Thank you again, grzrd.  You're always a really good source of info on here!

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 30, 2015, 03:21:26 PM
Maybe the 2 lane section is in case there is more than one at grade turn/entrance. Through traffic could stay left and turning traffic would slow down in the right lane.

Regarding at grade turns on I-10 in West Texas, where are any of those? There's a lot of frontage road running on one or both sides of I-10 for stretches where entrances are needed into ranches and/or oil & gas drilling property.

One Interstate highway at grade turn (a driveway actually) I pass from time to time: a residence right off I-44 in Oklahoma just before the Red River bridge. That has been there well before the highway was designated as an Interstate.

Bobby, where exactly is that?  It doesn't show up on Google or Bing.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Now that I double-checked it looks like ODOT removed the driveway. The first house North of the Red River next to the Southbound (West) lanes of I-44 had a driveway there in the past.

texaskdog

since it looks like 69W will hit the north side of Laredo I'm guessing there will also have to be 69W-S

Henry

Quote from: texaskdog on April 19, 2015, 02:50:41 PM
since it looks like 69W will hit the north side of Laredo I'm guessing there will also have to be 69W-S
Don't push your luck!

The Ghostbuster

Would anyone hazard a guess on when Interstates 69C and 69W will connect with the rest of Texas's Interstate system?

Grzrd

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 20, 2015, 05:52:27 PM
Would anyone hazard a guess on when Interstates 69C and 69W will connect with the rest of Texas's Interstate system?

I-69W, in much the same way as I-369 is connected to I-30, is already connected to I-35.

Quote from: Grzrd on November 15, 2013, 09:33:37 PM
TxDOT completed its US 281/US 59 Planning and Feasibility Study - Interstate (I-69C) in October (it should be posted on the TxDOT website in the relatively near future).  Basically, the goal is to complete I-69C from Edinburg to Alice by 2037, in part to allow for immediate I-69C signage for completed segments (pp. 11-12/15 of pdf; pp. 8-9 of document):

The Alice connection to the TX 44 corridor from the south appears to be the top priority; it will be interesting to see how soon a Planning and Feasibility study will be conducted for TX 44 ....
TxDOT has posted the US 281/US 59 Planning and Feasibility Study - Interstate (I-69C).
Quote from: Grzrd on January 17, 2015, 02:20:54 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 16, 2015, 11:20:56 AM
Texas Congressman Blake Farenthold's office announced in a January 14, 2015 press release that Farenthold has reintroduced the "44-to-69" legislation for this year
If anyone cares to follow the progress of the bill, it is also known as H.R.301 – 114th Congress (2015-2016).

I suspect that the completion of TX 44/Future I-x69 from Alice to Corpus Christi will be a relatively high priority after Congressional designation of TX 44 as part of the I-69 Corridor*; therefore, the scheduled completion of an I-69C direct connection to the rest of the Texas interstate system (excluding I-2) by July 1, 2037 appears to be the estimate for an I-69C direct connection.

That said, I-69C is connected to I-2, which is connected to I-69E, which in turn is expected to have a completed connection with I-37 well before July 1, 2037.  This scenario seems more likely to be completed before the "I-69C creeping northward" scenario.

edit

TRIP's April, 2015 Texas' Most Critical Highway Projects to Support Economic Growth and Quality of Life report ranks this section of TX 44/ Future I-x69 as the fourth most needed project (with an estimated price tag of $600 million) out of twenty ranked projects in "Other Texas Regions" (DFW and Houston have fifteen ranked projects apiece, and Austin and San Antonio have ten ranked projects apiece):

4. Upgrade a portion of SH 44 to Interstate standards in Nueces and Jim Wells Counties. This approximately $600 million project would upgrade a 29-mile portion of SH 44 to Interstate design standards from US 281 to US 77/I-69E, including lane widths and limited access. These improvements will enhance regional connectivity, relieve congestion, improve regional goods movement and improve safety.

codyg1985

I drove through the Houston area this weekend, and as of now no I-69 shields have been added to BGSs along I-45 and I-610 referring to the portion of US 59 inside of I-610. I didn't drive on US 59 itself so I don't know if ground-mounted shields have been installed yet or not.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

thefro

Quote from: Grzrd on April 20, 2015, 06:16:41 PM
That said, I-69C is connected to I-2, which is connected to I-69E, which in turn is expected to have a completed connection with I-37 well before July 1, 2037.  This scenario seems more likely to be completed before the "I-69C creeping northward" scenario.

Aren't most/all of the I-69E projects to have it connect to I-37 on the docket already?  A lot of that mileage is the King Ranch in Kenedy county.  I'd probably expect that to be done by 2020, anyway.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 26, 2015, 09:38:45 PM
this link to an Alliance for I-69 Texas discussion of the frontage roads:
An interesting element of the schematic plans included in the EA is the way ranch access is to be accomplished in the 42-mile passage through Kenedy County where there are no public roads crossing US 77. This highway passes through sections of the King Ranch, the Kenedy Ranch and the Armstrong Ranch, all of which span the highway and the adjacent Union Pacific Railroad. Brief sections of access road will be built near ranch gates to allow traffic on and off the freeway lanes. Overpasses will be built at intervals of 5 to 10 miles to allow traffic to reverse direction.
Quote from: thefro on April 22, 2015, 10:00:25 AM
Aren't most/all of the I-69E projects to have it connect to I-37 on the docket already?  A lot of that mileage is the King Ranch in Kenedy county.  I'd probably expect that to be done by 2020, anyway.

Judging by this map, I agree:

If not by 2020, then by not too long thereafter.

edit

TRIP's April, 2015 Texas' Most Critical Highway Projects to Support Economic Growth and Quality of Life report ranks this section of I-69E as the eighth most needed project (with an estimated cost of approximately $600 million) out of twenty projects in "Other Texas Regions" (DFW and Houston have fifteen ranked projects apiece, and Austin and San Antonio have ten ranked projects apiece):

8. Upgrade a portion of US 77 in Willacy, Kennedy [sic], Nueces and Kleberg Counties to Interstate standards. This approximately $600 million project would upgrade a 92-mile portion of SH [sic] 77  from I-69 north of Raymondville to I-69 in Robstown to Interstate design standards including lane widths and limited access. These improvements will enhance regional connectivity, relieve congestion, improve regional goods movement and improve safety.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.