News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-20

Started by BigMattFromTexas, May 30, 2009, 02:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Anyone ever been on I-20 between Big Spring and Abilene, Tx?
I have and i think the road condition is very poor the acces roads are confusing, the ramps a bad, in Colorado City the lighting is almost non-existent. But I will say one thing, in Colorado City it has been repaved recently(thank goodness)
If yall have been on it what are your opinions?

AZDude

I've clinched all of I-20 westbound.   :sombrero:  I would agree with the westbound section you are talking about.  For much of that stretch you have to drive on the left lane because the right lane is like riding on dirt road at 70 mph.

Marc

They recently have redone a few bridges in the Sweetwater area and are redoing the I-20/U.S. 83 interchange in Abilene. But as for the rest of the section, it can be pretty bad. West Texas seems to have a lot of what I like to call "Rock Asphalt" (if anyone knows the technical name, let me know). It's very rough, even if freshly poured. Lubbock has tons of this on just about all their city streets.

Though, if I remember correctly, they have repaved a good-sized section of I-20 with Spray-Free Asphalt (Permeable Friction Course).

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Marc on August 10, 2009, 03:17:48 AM
They recently have redone a few bridges in the Sweetwater area and are redoing the I-20/U.S. 83 interchange in Abilene.

I wonder how the I-20/US-83 interchange will look once reconfigurated? Here a pic of the former configuration http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&q=abilene+tx&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=ca&ei=wxKASqjiF8OFtgfAuZn6AQ&ll=32.48314,-99.766352&spn=0.012127,0.02738&t=k&z=16

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Marc on August 10, 2009, 03:17:48 AM
They recently have redone a few bridges in the Sweetwater area and are redoing the I-20/U.S. 83 interchange in Abilene. But as for the rest of the section, it can be pretty bad. West Texas seems to have a lot of what I like to call "Rock Asphalt" (if anyone knows the technical name, let me know). It's very rough, even if freshly poured. Lubbock has tons of this on just about all their city streets.

Though, if I remember correctly, they have repaved a good-sized section of I-20 with Spray-Free Asphalt (Permeable Friction Course).
I've been on I-20 in Abilene and from there onto DFW it's pretty good, closer to Weatherford it's pretty nice but i remember when they were doing the construction on some of it, they traffic was pretty bad because they had to close one side of the interstate, but ive been to(not on) the interchange in Abilene and i think there's gonna be a fly-over but im not sure, if so it won't be a full one.

leifvanderwall

Has any of the stimulus package been spent on I-20 in Texas recently.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.