News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

MoDOT hopes to advance I-229 plan, hear public feedback by spring 2024
QuoteThe Missouri Department of Transportation is wrapping up an environmental assessment of the Interstate 229 corridor, which is the next step needed to move the project forward.

The environmental assessment evaluates the potential impacts or consequences of a plan before it happens. Marty Liles, Northwest district engineer for MoDOT, said the study has taken some time, but the proper research needs to be done to complete a project of this caliber.

Multiple bridge alternatives were presented in 2022, but MoDOT favors the "Existing Corridor" route, which would remove the bridge and replace it. "The alternative that we're taking forward (and writing in our environmental assessment document) was basically to remove the bridge, build a new roadway in the same alignment as where the bridge is, but actually put it on the ground," Liles said.

Liles said the alternative would allow traffic to flow two lanes in each direction, similar to the current situation and in the same location. An exact blueprint is not in place for the build just yet.

Right now, Interstate 229 is over 40 years old, and it received a C- rating at its April 2021 inspection. Troubles have popped up over time, including when a portion of the pavement buckled due to the summer heat.

While many in the community supported the option to keep I-229 and repair it in its current form, the risk of having to completely replace the bridge in 20 years, and the near $200 million price tag, the alternatives rose above for MoDOT leaders. As the department readies to present the findings of the environmental assessment to the Federal Highway Administration by the end of 2023, Liles pointed out that one of the biggest concerns the study highlighted is with stoplights and traffic.

"We're minimizing the stoplights, trying to figure out ways how agricultural equipment, truck traffic can actually get from the fields down to the stockyards, to the grain elevators without actually going through a lot of stoplights," Liles said.

After the Federal Highway Administration approves the assessment, MoDOT will turn back to the community for input on the project. He expects this to happen in St. Joseph sometime during the spring of 2024.
https://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/modot-hopes-to-advance-i-229-plan-hear-public-feedback-by-spring-2024/article_ffac0404-9ea3-11ee-8e96-63fb581a72af.html

adt1982

ozarkman417

Springfield/Greene County's Kansas Expressway has (finally) been extended south to Plainview Road. The section from Republic Rd to Weaver Rd opened Feb 5, and the section from Weaver to Plainview Rd opened at some point in the last week and a half.

Currently, it is only a two-lane road with a large sidewalk next to it, but some groundwork to add the other carriageway is already present.

sprjus4

For some context (this took me a minute to find), "Kansas Expressway" is an arterial road just west of US-160 along the US-60 southern loop of Springfield that was just extended southward.

intelati49

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 26, 2024, 08:58:18 PM
For some context (this took me a minute to find), "Kansas Expressway" is an arterial road just west of US-160 along the US-60 southern loop of Springfield that was just extended southward.
Yeah. The stretch isn't (won't be?) on the Missouri system. MO13 exits east onto James River Freeway and turns into a (3 way?? US160/60/MO13) concurrency.

afguy

The I-55 widening project in Jefferson County kicked off today.

Quotehe start of construction for the $246 million I-55 Corridor Improvements Project was celebrated today with an official groundbreaking ceremony.

The ceremony took place at the Herculaneum Fire Department at 11 a.m. with I-55 Corridor Improvements Project Director Justin Wolf moderating the event.

"Today as we celebrate beginning construction of the I-55 Design-Build Project, we want to acknowledge the many internal and external partners who have worked diligently to take this project from the start of a conceptual study in summer of 2021, through the study and planning phase, and design-build procurement, to today where we are breaking ground on this $246 million investment in Jefferson County," said I-55 Project Director, Justin Wolf.

The Missouri Department of Transportation Director Patrick McKenna along with the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commissioner Francis G. Slay joined state and local elected officials, and the KCI Construction team to break ground as construction begins for the I-55 corridor upgrades between Route Z and Route 67 interchanges in Jefferson County.

"This is one of the largest projects in Jefferson County, this project is a of great importance to the daily lives of everyone living, working, and commuting along the corridor. These improvements will help the 70,000 vehicles who use this stretch of the interstate daily," said MoDOT Director, Patrick McKenna. "The MoDOT team has met with community partners, elected officials, local businesses and general citizens get input needed to complete the plans for the I-55 Corridor Improvements. This is an ongoing process and MoDOT will continue to inform and educate the public about the construction schedule and major milestones through completion of the project."

In the upcoming weeks the public will see work begin on I-55 from US 67 to north of Central Avenue along with continuation of the earthwork taking place at the I-55/US 67 interchange.
https://www.modot.org/node/42868

Plutonic Panda

I-35 could see improvements and I-57 could extended after I-70 and I-44 are upgraded.

https://www.myozarksonline.com/transportation-director-wants-more-for-interstates/

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 12, 2024, 06:12:44 PM
I-35 could see improvements and I-57 could extended after I-70 and I-44 are upgraded.

https://www.myozarksonline.com/transportation-director-wants-more-for-interstates/

Where does it say in that article that they could see improvements?  All I got from reading it is that he said they need improvements—not that they might actually get those improvements.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2024, 07:03:09 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 12, 2024, 06:12:44 PM

Where does it say in that article that they could see improvements?  All I got from reading it is that he said they need improvements—not that they might actually get those improvements.
The audio sample from the director is also short. Is there a more complete version? And is the sample an interview? A speech? Regular MoDOT public meetings? Legislature hearing audio? Not a lot of hard information at that link

ozarkman417

Quote from: intelati49 on February 26, 2024, 09:05:17 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 26, 2024, 08:58:18 PM
Yeah. The stretch isn't (won't be?) on the Missouri system. MO13 exits east onto James River Freeway and turns into a (3 way?? US160/60/MO13) concurrency.
This new section is maintained by Greene County. For some additional context, this expansion has been 30 years in the making. NIMBYism and environmental concerns prevented the project from going forward until 2022.

afguy

House budget plan could mean less of an increase for Missouri colleges, more for I-44

QuoteThe top House budget negotiator unveiled a pared-down version of Gov. Mike Parson's spending proposal Thursday, saying his plan funnels less money to colleges and universities in exchange for more money for road building.

Rep. Cody Smith, a Carthage Republican, said the proposed $50 billion package focuses on "fiscally conservative policies that highlight the importance of spending within our means."

A year after the Legislature put nearly $3 billion into the long-sought widening of Interstate 70, the House budget earmarks $727 million to rebuild the Interstate 44 corridor, which runs southwest from St. Louis to Joplin on Missouri's western border.

Smith, a candidate for state treasurer, said initial work on the interstate likely will focus on the Springfield and Joplin area before moving eastward toward Rolla. "Through collaborative efforts and thorough analysis, we are addressing Missouri's pressing needs while ensuring accountability and transparency in our budgetary decisions," Smith said.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/government-politics/house-budget-plan-could-mean-less-of-an-increase-for-missouri-colleges-more-for-i/article_10e8d04a-e21e-11ee-903b-17411042ec56.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

afguy

This article provides more details about the I-44 funding plan. Under this proposal 13 miles of I-44 would be rebuilt on Springfield's north side. This would be far larger in scope than what MoDOT originally proposed to widen. MoDOT's plan only called for widening I-44 between the Kansas Expressway and U.S. 65. If things go like they did last year for funding I-70, we might get funding to widen I-44 from Joplin to Rolla.
Springfield-area I-44 rebuild and expansion included in state House budget proposal
QuoteInterstate 44 through the north side of Springfield — from the West Bypass/Highway 160 interchange to the Highway 125 interchange in Strafford — would be rebuilt and expanded to three lanes in each direction under a state budget proposal unveiled Thursday, March 14 in the state Capitol.

The proposal from Missouri House Budget Committee Chairman Cody Smith includes $727.5 million for major reconstruction projects along Interstate 44 in southwest Missouri, including work in Springfield as well as at the I-49 interchange in Joplin and also in the Rolla-St. James area.

In Springfield, funds would be included to rebuild and improve the I-44 interchange with Highway 13/Kansas Expressway. Earlier plans called for the removal of the existing diverging diamond (the first built in the United States) and replace it with a flyover ramp, among other improvements.

Overall, Smith's state spending plan for fiscal 2025 cuts $2 billion from the proposal Gov. Mike Parson made in January, largely through adjustments for the depletion of pandemic-era federal funding and the decline in Medicaid enrollment.

The plan to set aside money for improvements on I-44 mirrors last year's $2.8 billion appropriation to widen Interstate 70 from Blue Springs to Wentzville. That plan, which saw the first contract awarded last month, is funded half with general revenue surplus and half with borrowed funds.

Smith wants to set aside $363.75 million in general revenue, and the same amount in bond funds, for projects in the Joplin, Springfield and Rolla areas.
https://sgfcitizen.org/economy-growth/transportation/springfield-area-i-44-rebuild-and-expansion-included-in-state-house-budget-proposal/

Plutonic Panda

Missouri is just getting shit done. Props to them. Seriously when this is all said and done, and I-70 and I-44 are completely widened other states like California need to wake the fuck up and take notes. Not that they care anyways.

But Colorado and Oklahoma, I'm looking at you who seems to be unable to build new roads or lanes without tolls. Colorado in particular.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma tried to pull some 3rd lane toll bullshit on I-35 like CDOT is with I-25.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2024, 07:52:03 PM
Missouri is just getting shit done.

Now there's something I never expected to read!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mvak36

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2024, 09:01:29 PM

Lol. I won't believe it until the budget gets passed and the governor signs it. But I never thought something like last year would ever happen, so I'll take it. Hopefully the next governor will continue the focus on improving the roads.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

afguy

Article from the Joplin Globe detailing the Joplin project that would be part of the I-44 expansion. I like the fact that the I-44/I-49 interchange rebuild will include flyover ramps.

QuoteIn the Joplin area, the plan would earmark $291 million to widen the interstate to six lanes between the Fidelity interchange south of Carthage and the I-44/I-49/Missouri 249 interchange, and start rebuilding the Fidelity interchange from a cloverleaf to a series of four flyovers to carry traffic between the highways.

Marcus Edwards, vice president of recruiting at CFI, said the changes will mean safer travel along I-44 for truck drivers and others.

"I-44, as you drive down that, the lanes are the standard width, but they don't look the same," Edwards said. "They look skinnier because they're so congested, so adding those extra lanes going east and west is going to be very helpful."

Smith, R-Carthage, said lawmakers driving on the interstate every week for their commute to Jefferson City can see the need for I-44 to be upgraded as quickly as possible. "The I-49 and I-44 interchange (at Fidelity) is one of the busiest, probably in the country," Smith said. "That's a very expensive overhaul, and it has been in MoDOT's plan for some time now. Injecting some additional cash in there will help move it forward more quickly. Additionally, six lanes between that intersection and the 249 exit here in Joplin will help alleviate congestion a great deal. If you just get out on the interstate today and you travel a little bit across and through Joplin, you'll see that traffic gets slower and backs up and it's more congested, just like it is in Springfield and Rolla. Some additional investments here and specifically the injection of cash to get started earlier will help alleviate those things more quickly."

Missouri Department of Transportation Director Patrick McKenna was at the news conference along with many employees of CFI and a few state representatives from Southwest Missouri.

McKenna said MoDOT is already investing $500 million in I-44, but that money is going for preservation and maintenance, not expansion. He cited freight volume "particularly here in Joplin" and the convergence of I-44 and I-49 and economic growth in Springfield as reason for expanding those areas.

McKenna said the Fidelity interchange of I-49/I-44 was built with a cloverleaf design that worked well when traffic volumes were lower but not with the volume rising dramatically.

He also said MoDOT has divided the upgrades to the Fidelity interchange into five phases.
https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/lawmaker-earmarks-727-million-to-i-44-reconstruction/article_222fd56a-e61f-11ee-b762-ab44a438b2ed.html

Plutonic Panda

Not that I would oppose that because obviously I do like fully directional interchanges. I just wonder why they wouldn't take care of the I-44/I-49/249 interchange and make that a fully directional one first. Seems like they could also build a freeway to freeway system interchange at Business 49 and interstate 49.

Unless they're planning to eventually convert MO 59 to a freeway further south.

The Ghostbuster

I doubt MO 59 will ever be converted into a freeway, since Interstate 49 is several miles to the west. The interchange at US 60/Business 60, and underpasses at Pineville Rd. and Oak Tree Rd. are likely the only ones that will ever existing along the 59 corridor. As for the two interchanges between Interstates 44 and 49, I believe both should be converted into full-stack interchanges and do away with the cloverleaves entirely.

intelati49

Quote from: mvak36 on March 19, 2024, 09:12:41 AM

Lol. I won't believe it until the budget gets passed and the governor signs it. But I never thought something like last year would ever happen, so I'll take it. Hopefully the next governor will continue the focus on improving the roads.

I won't believe it until shovels hit the ground honestly..

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2024, 09:25:47 AM
Not that I would oppose that because obviously I do like fully directional interchanges. I just wonder why they wouldn't take care of the I-44/I-49/249 interchange and make that a fully directional one first. Seems like they could also build a freeway to freeway system interchange at Business 49 and interstate 49.

I'm more interested in the EB/NB flyover ramp at this location.

If you can get the MO171/MO249/I49 situation figured out, then that would help everything else out.

MikieTimT

Quote from: intelati49 on March 23, 2024, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2024, 07:52:03 PMMissouri is just getting shit done.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2024, 09:25:47 AMNot that I would oppose that because obviously I do like fully directional interchanges. I just wonder why they wouldn't take care of the I-44/I-49/249 interchange and make that a fully directional one first. Seems like they could also build a freeway to freeway system interchange at Business 49 and interstate 49.

If you can get the MO171/MO249/I49 situation figured out, then that would help everything else out.

MO-171/249 is the only way I ever get through Carthage when traveling I-49.  The congestion on the concurrency of I-44/49 and the tight cloverleaf with north I-49 makes it worthwhile to suffer through the traffic lights northbound to get back on I-49 at Carthage from MO-171.  Southbound, and it isn't even close as there's no traffic light to slow you down to get onto MO-171.  If they could figure out how to route the freeway between the curve just west of Exit 47 on MO-171 and the curve just to the west of Exit 55 on I-49 with bridging the Spring River and overpassing  it would even be the shortest distance and a logical rerouting of I-49 to skip the concurrency altogether with I-44 and the segment south of that curve down to I-44.  Could make a 3DI out of that stretch to I-44 and remove the concurrency, and that fixes it better anyways.  Trouble is, that direct connection would have to be predominantly bridge/overpasses for 2.75 miles to make the cutoff work, so not cheap, and thus probably never going to happen.  Oh well, we can dream...

afguy

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 27, 2024, 04:26:25 PM
Quote from: intelati49 on March 23, 2024, 09:14:17 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 18, 2024, 07:52:03 PMMissouri is just getting shit done.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 22, 2024, 09:25:47 AMNot that I would oppose that because obviously I do like fully directional interchanges. I just wonder why they wouldn't take care of the I-44/I-49/249 interchange and make that a fully directional one first. Seems like they could also build a freeway to freeway system interchange at Business 49 and interstate 49.

MO-171/249 is the only way I ever get through Carthage when traveling I-49.  The congestion on the concurrency of I-44/49 and the tight cloverleaf with north I-49 makes it worthwhile to suffer through the traffic lights northbound to get back on I-49 at Carthage from MO-171.  Southbound, and it isn't even close as there's no traffic light to slow you down to get onto MO-171.  If they could figure out how to route the freeway between the curve just west of Exit 47 on MO-171 and the curve just to the west of Exit 55 on I-49 with bridging the Spring River and overpassing  it would even be the shortest distance and a logical rerouting of I-49 to skip the concurrency altogether with I-44 and the segment south of that curve down to I-44.  Could make a 3DI out of that stretch to I-44 and remove the concurrency, and that fixes it better anyways.  Trouble is, that direct connection would have to be predominantly bridge/overpasses for 2.75 miles to make the cutoff work, so not cheap, and thus probably never going to happen.  Oh well, we can dream...

I know MoDOT does have long range plans to rebuild the MO 249/I-49 as a freeway-to-freeway interchange and convert M 249 to an interstate. It's currently listed on MoDOT's unfunded priority list under Tier 2.
https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/High-Priority%20Unfunded%20Needs%202023_0.pdf

mrsman

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 27, 2024, 04:26:25 PMMO-171/249 is the only way I ever get through Carthage when traveling I-49.  The congestion on the concurrency of I-44/49 and the tight cloverleaf with north I-49 makes it worthwhile to suffer through the traffic lights northbound to get back on I-49 at Carthage from MO-171.  Southbound, and it isn't even close as there's no traffic light to slow you down to get onto MO-171.  If they could figure out how to route the freeway between the curve just west of Exit 47 on MO-171 and the curve just to the west of Exit 55 on I-49 with bridging the Spring River and overpassing  it would even be the shortest distance and a logical rerouting of I-49 to skip the concurrency altogether with I-44 and the segment south of that curve down to I-44.  Could make a 3DI out of that stretch to I-44 and remove the concurrency, and that fixes it better anyways.  Trouble is, that direct connection would have to be predominantly bridge/overpasses for 2.75 miles to make the cutoff work, so not cheap, and thus probably never going to happen.  Oh well, we can dream...

This is so true.  While on first blush it would seem to be a good idea to have I-49 traffic avoid Joplin, when seeing the roadway in practice, we can see that it makes far more sense to avoid a conjoining of two major interstate routes with the 40/49 concurrency.  Why should 49 traffic exit itself?  This other routing makes more sense.

afguy

The Missouri House passed their version of the Missouri budget today. It will now head to the senate, where it will face more changes. While most of the focus when it comes to transportation has been on I-44, the Kansas City Star had this sentence in their article about the House passed budget. "The budget also includes $53 million for improvements to the Interstate 35, Interstate 29 and U.S. 169 corridor in Clay, Jackson and Platte counties." I'm wondering what improvements they have planned for the I-29/I-35 corridor.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article287378485.html#storylink=cpy

mvak36

Quote from: afguy on April 04, 2024, 06:24:14 PMThe Missouri House passed their version of the Missouri budget today. It will now head to the senate, where it will face more changes. While most of the focus when it comes to transportation has been on I-44, the Kansas City Star had this sentence in their article about the House passed budget. "The budget also includes $53 million for improvements to the Interstate 35, Interstate 29 and U.S. 169 corridor in Clay, Jackson and Platte counties." I'm wondering what improvements they have planned for the I-29/I-35 corridor.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article287378485.html#storylink=cpy

This is the project site for it: https://www.modot.org/us-route-169-interstate-29-and-interstate-35-conceptual-study-platte-and-clay

From their meeting last fall, they said they will go into NEPA once funding has been identified. So, I am not sure what the final design will be, but I guess we'll find out if this passes the legislature and the governor signs it.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

afguy

The Missouri Senate is now taking their turn with the budget. So far funding for Amtrak service between Kansas City and St. Joseph and adding a third daily train between St. Louis and Kansas City have been nixed. The senate plan would however provide $60 million to go toward the conversion of U.S. 67 near Poplar Bluff into I-57. Also, Senator Lincoln Hough, who chairs the Senate Appropriations Committee, said changes would be made to the House plan for funding I-44 expansion. Now whether that means more money for the plan or not remains to be seen.

Missouri Senate weighs in on budget, adds highway funding and raises for low-income workers
QuoteAfter months of waiting, the Senate Appropriations Committee's work marks the beginning of the final push toward passage of a massive package of bills that keep state government operating, with money for schools, roads and social services.

Among changes promised by Sen. Lincoln Hough, R-Springfield, who chairs the powerful panel, is the restoration of Gov. Mike Parson's call for universities to get a 3% increase in their state funding, up from the 2% level endorsed by the House.

Hough also said the Senate version will offer a different approach to improving Interstate 44. The House budget called for $728 million to widen the heavily traveled, cross-state route in key spots near Springfield, Joplin and Rolla."Governor Parson and I met last week to discuss the plan and we agreed on some changes," Hough said.

Also on tap is the expansion of U.S. Route 67 near Poplar Bluff to pave the way for transforming the roadway into Interstate 57 to the Missouri-Arkansas border. The Senate plan would bring spending on the expansion to $60 million with the possibility of additional federal dollars on the way.

Left by the wayside is a request by the Missouri Department of Transportation to add Amtrak service from Kansas City to St. Joseph and Kansas City to southwest Missouri.

The $38 million passenger rail plan also would have added a third daily train between St. Louis and Kansas City, but neither the House nor Senate funded the idea.

The Senate proposal, which will be debated at the committee level over the next two to three days, will give more than 40,000 state employees 3.2% raises, as was recommended by the governor.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/government-politics/missouri-senate-weighs-in-on-budget-adds-highway-funding-and-raises-for-low-income-workers/article_3e2402ca-01b6-11ef-a743-a351d387c3a2.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.