News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connecticut milepost exit numbering conversion

Started by The Ghostbuster, April 20, 2023, 06:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Have now added photos taken in October of new signage with the new milepost exit numbers along I-691 in both directions between I-91 and I-84, such as:

Complete set at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i691exits

bob7374

I checked on the CTDOT exit renumbering project page for any updates. There are several on the FAQ page. It appears that completion dates for several routes have been moved up. CT 8 is now listed with a 2024 completion date. I-84 was moved up from 2028 to 2026 and I-95 from 2029 to 2028. Meanwhile, the sign replacement/exit renumbering project for CT 15 is still scheduled to be advertised a month from today, May 8.

The CTDOT site: https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/Traffic-Engineering/Exit-Renumbering

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

shadyjay

Obvviously an older image, as CT 9 has had new exit numbers for over a year now.  Are we going on 2 years this summer?  Then that means the "OLD"s come down soon.

The same style is up on CT 2 as well, but more is tarped... in fact, everything is tarped except, on the "OLD EXIT #" panel, only "OLD" is tarped.  Some gores only have the "OLD EXIT #" portion up so far.  There's still a fair amount of button copy signage on CT 2 not yet replaced, such as the Norwich area and in Glastonbury.  Haven't heard a definitive exit number change date for CT 2/CT 3/CT 11 yet, but I'd assume it would be this summer. 

That's good that conversion on the 2DIs has moved up... leads me to believe that overlays may actually come to light, vs outright replacement.  For I-95, Clinton-New London comes up to bid later this spring.  Figure at least 2 years lead time.  So that's 2026.  No sign of any Branford-Guilford project to notch out the rest of the button copy.  Nothing for I-91 yet north of Hartford.  And the oldest of the old continues to get even older on I-84 in E Hartford and Manchester. 

Ted$8roadFan

I guess it's Connecticut being Connecticut, but it's kind of crazy that they're taking such a long time to make the changeover when its neighbors (RI and MA) did it much quicker, relatively speaking.

vdeane

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 11, 2024, 05:15:49 AMI guess it's Connecticut being Connecticut, but it's kind of crazy that they're taking such a long time to make the changeover when its neighbors (RI and MA) did it much quicker, relatively speaking.
MA was willing to overlay new numbers on existing signs and RI is smaller.  At least CT will still beat even the most optimistic projections for VT and NH.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

Not to mention that New York is going to be the slowest one of all in conversions to mileage-based exit numbers. I'd also like Delaware to convert Interstate 95, Interstate 495, and DE 1 to mileage-based exit numbers, but that seems unlikely.

bob7374

For those who don't want to hunt through the CTDOT documents for the new CT 15 sign plans for the Wilbur Cross Parkway, I have posted examples on my New England Exit Renumbering Central page, along with the latest  exit list from CTDOT and their examples on how to place the old exit signs:
https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#i384signs

D-Dey65

Quote from: bob7374 on April 08, 2024, 11:51:07 PMI checked on the CTDOT exit renumbering project page for any updates. There are several on the FAQ page. It appears that completion dates for several routes have been moved up. CT 8 is now listed with a 2024 completion date. I-84 was moved up from 2028 to 2026 and I-95 from 2029 to 2028. Meanwhile, the sign replacement/exit renumbering project for CT 15 is still scheduled to be advertised a month from today, May 8.

I just found out that the 1st exit on Merritt Parkway is supposed to be Exit 19B. Thanks for doing something right, CDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 15, 2024, 12:21:09 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on April 08, 2024, 11:51:07 PMI checked on the CTDOT exit renumbering project page for any updates. There are several on the FAQ page. It appears that completion dates for several routes have been moved up. CT 8 is now listed with a 2024 completion date. I-84 was moved up from 2028 to 2026 and I-95 from 2029 to 2028. Meanwhile, the sign replacement/exit renumbering project for CT 15 is still scheduled to be advertised a month from today, May 8.

I just found out that the 1st exit on Merritt Parkway is supposed to be Exit 19B. Thanks for doing something right, CDOT.

They're deferring to New York - listed as NY-Exit 19.

The Ghostbuster

Is the Berlin Turnpike-to-Interstate 84 segment of CT 15 going to have its exit numbers removed, instead of converted to mileage-based with the rest of 15? I would imagine that if exits numbers are retained, and converted to mileage-based, they would be something like this: Exit 80A (old 85), Exit 80B (old 86), Exit 80C (old 87), Exit 81A (old 89), Exit 81B (old 90), and Exit 82 (old 91). I'd also number the US 5 South Broad St. interchange as Exit 67, the CT 372 interchange as Exit 71B (with the CT 9 jct. being 71A), the CT 175 interchange being Exit 77, and the CT 314 continuation of the Berlin Turnpike being Exit 78.

Ted$8roadFan

I was wondering about the numbered CT-15 exits north of the Parkway. For consistency, they should continue the mileage-based exit numbers.

shadyjay

When you dig in the Wilbur Cross Parkway sign replacement project, you find the sheet aluminum listing and the renumbering of exits up to present Exit 67-W (I-691 West).  The signs north of the maintenance facility aren't being replaced in this project, as they're going to get replaced as part of the "Meriden Mix" projects.  There's no mention in the contract of the renumbering of the exits from Wethersfield, over the COB, to East Hartford.  Honestly, they probably should've done that as part of the Exit 29 relocation project, as well as replaced the rest of the signs on CT 15 in the area.  But they didn't. 

So until that happens, CT 15 will have two different exit numbering sequences.  Since there's no mile markers posted north of Meriden, the average person won't even notice the difference.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.