News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 19, 2020, 11:17:46 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 19, 2020, 09:06:12 PM
Quote from: crt08 on January 18, 2020, 04:00:45 PM
When people don't stop for crosswalks in front of stores, etc when you're in the crosswalk, or when you're crossing, they start accelerating before you get across it. I'm not a slow person so it's not like you can't just give me the legal right of way and wait!

When people just won't slow down or pay any attention to what's going on, just me me me. I had to drive around a truck today that was parked on the side of the road with the door open. I slowed down, moved over in case somebody jumped out, then this car coming in the opposite direction didn't bother slowing down, almost ran into me. Just slow down people!

And people who don't look when they cross.  Even with the right of way you need to be cognizant of cars who may not see you.  Goes double for people who cross (usually illegally) and put their hand up, like that will stop a car.
You will find that on university campuses - and the governments put up signs and yellow flashers to help them.

So much for the students being the smart ones. :rolleyes:  Phones may be smart, but they don't negate the laws of physics; there's no app for that.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2020, 11:54:47 AM
That I cannot reject mail addressed to "CURRENT RESIDENT" by claiming nobody by that name lives at my address.

Have you tried marking it "REFUSED"?

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2020, 04:08:42 PM
One of the things I find mildly annoying and inexplicable is when people put the decals on their license plates incorrectly. Here's a particularly egregious example I saw this afternoon when I was out for a walk. The "month" sticker is supposed to go in the top left where it says "month" and the year is supposed to go in the top right where it says "year." This person got it completely wrong, although it's not as bad as the guy across the street from us who (illegally) has no front plate and put both "year" stickers on his rear plate. With the one seen here, at least both the month and year are visible, though incorrectly displayed.

One that's particularly common in OK for some reason is sticking a year sticker over the month sticker, then alternating sides, so starting out with, say, [APR] [2010], then putting the 2011 sticker over the month sticker: [2011] [2010], then [2011] [2012], etc. Who the hell knows when the plate actually expires!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Yes I refused junk mail and my postman left me an angry note

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 20, 2020, 04:47:53 AM
Yes I refused junk mail and my postman left me an angry note

You didn't get a visit from the Postmaster General?

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 20, 2020, 01:06:48 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2020, 11:54:47 AM
That I cannot reject mail addressed to "CURRENT RESIDENT" by claiming nobody by that name lives at my address.

Have you tried marking it "REFUSED"?

One of the things I find mildly annoying and inexplicable is when people put the decals on their license plates incorrectly. Here's a particularly egregious example I saw this afternoon when I was out for a walk. The "month" sticker is supposed to go in the top left where it says "month" and the year is supposed to go in the top right where it says "year." This person got it completely wrong, although it's not as bad as the guy across the street from us who (illegally) has no front plate and put both "year" stickers on his rear plate. With the one seen here, at least both the month and year are visible, though incorrectly displayed.

One that's particularly common in OK for some reason is sticking a year sticker over the month sticker, then alternating sides, so starting out with, say, [APR] [2010], then putting the 2011 sticker over the month sticker: [2011] [2010], then [2011] [2012], etc. Who the hell knows when the plate actually expires!

That happens here as well. I guess if it can be done incorrectly, it will be.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Massachusetts doesn't have a month sticker; the month is determined by the last digit of the license plate. I've still seen misplaced year stickers, though.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MNHighwayMan

One of the things I find mildly annoying and inexplicable is when people put the decals on their license plates incorrectly.

At least it isn't like the trend that was popular for a while in Iowa (and that I still see on occasion), where people would decorate their license plates with their yearly registration stickers. It's supposed to go on the bottom left corner.

Shit like this:

(Image credit: kcci.com)

Scott5114

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 20, 2020, 10:14:21 AM
One of the things I find mildly annoying and inexplicable is when people put the decals on their license plates incorrectly.

At least it isn't like the trend that was popular for a while in Iowa (and that I still see on occasion), where people would decorate their license plates with their yearly registration stickers. It's supposed to go on the bottom left corner.

Shit like this:

(Image credit: kcci.com)

See, but at least Iowa has month and year on the same sticker, so you can tell when the plate expires. In Oklahoma, there is a month/county sticker and a year sticker, so if you cover up that, the plate could be expired for 11 months without any sort of indication to an observer.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: 1 on January 20, 2020, 08:26:20 AM
Massachusetts doesn't have a month sticker; the month is determined by the last digit of the license plate. I've still seen misplaced year stickers, though.
Mass has only 10 months in the year?  Or maybe the license plate numbers are in hex?

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on January 20, 2020, 02:10:49 PM

Mass has only 10 months in the year?  Or maybe the license plate numbers are in hex?

I don't think any plates expire in November or December.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2020, 04:26:52 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on January 18, 2020, 06:46:42 PM
- Commercial plow drivers who put snow piles in the worst possible places (blocking sight at aisle intersections - main aisles  :ded:  :banghead: )

In the town I grew up in, the streets were very wide and we tended to get a lot of snow.  When there was heavy snowfall, the snow plows would plow to the middle of the street instead of the edges.  That meant no big wall of snow blocking driveways or parking spots.  However, it made for a twice-as-big wall of snow in the middle of the street.  Turning left was always fun!  Get going as fast as you could, barrel your way through, and hope for the best.

Wait, what? That's crazy! Come to think of it, I've seen plenty of small Midwestern towns where the streets are wide enough to do that. But wouldn't it be easier, for left turns, to pull a u-turn in an intersection, and then backtrack to get to your driveway, rather than barreling through the wall of snow?

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on January 20, 2020, 02:15:49 PM

our are December

KEVIN_224

An old friend of mine re-registered his car at the Massachusetts DMV in late October. (I will NOT call it "Registry".) His vehicle's inspection was in December.

kphoger

Quote from: texaskdog on January 20, 2020, 04:08:39 PM

our are December

You have Massachusetts plates?  Your location says Texas.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 20, 2020, 04:27:55 PM
An old friend of mine re-registered his car at the Massachusetts DMV in late October. (I will NOT call it "Registry".) His vehicle's inspection was in December.

Does that mean his registration expires in December?  I know motorcycles and commercial vehicles expire in December (and vanity plates in November), but I wasn't aware any standard issue passenger plates did.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Videos in general when a written piece would suffice. Saw something the other day, "The 10 best live albums of the 70s." It's a topic I'm interested in, but the link was to a 12-minute YouTube video. Who has time for that? Why not a written list of the albums and the commentary? I'd rather spend the time reading something at my own pace than 12 minutes watching a video. I could probably read the info contained in that video in about two minutes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2020, 04:46:58 PM
Videos in general when a written piece would suffice. Saw something the other day, "The 10 best live albums of the 70s." It's a topic I'm interested in, but the link was to a 12-minute YouTube video. Who has time for that? Why not a written list of the albums and the commentary? I'd rather spend the time reading something at my own pace than 12 minutes watching a video. I could probably read the info contained in that video in about two minutes.

Yes, I dislike it when I see a news article I'd like to read, then find out it's just a YouTube only.

I also dislike it when any webpage is written such that I have to keep hitting the "next" arrow or whatever to get to the next page.
Male pronouns, please.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: kphoger on January 20, 2020, 04:48:37 PM

Yes, I dislike it when I see a news article I'd like to read, then find out it's just a YouTube only.

I also dislike it when any webpage is written such that I have to keep hitting the "next" arrow or whatever to get to the next page.

Those are the worst. I'm interested in an article ranking all the states on a particular topic (best roads, best for education, best for retirement, etc.) but then I find I have to click a "next"  arrow 50 stinking times.  :rolleyes:  :rofl:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2020, 04:46:58 PMVideos in general when a written piece would suffice. Saw something the other day, "The 10 best live albums of the 70s." It's a topic I'm interested in, but the link was to a 12-minute YouTube video. Who has time for that? Why not a written list of the albums and the commentary? I'd rather spend the time reading something at my own pace than 12 minutes watching a video. I could probably read the info contained in that video in about two minutes.

Those are all ploys to take control away from the audience, usually to set up a pipeline for pay-per-click advertising.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 20, 2020, 07:09:15 PM

Those are the worst. I'm interested in an article ranking all the states on a particular topic (best roads, best for education, best for retirement, etc.) but then I find I have to click a "next"  arrow 50 stinking times.  :rolleyes:  :rofl:

Login username and password on separate pages

Then after the password, answer a security question. or...

Finally

Click "remember me" in login,

Next browser session - you're signed out.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

Me three: It's quieter and easier to read it on my own time, at my pace, and actually (gasp!) re-read parts of it.

I understand if there's an actual video involved which would be necessary to understand some event or occurrence, but someone talking over a couple of still images is insulting to my (very limited) intelligence. At least if there's some on-screen words describing an video, you watch it a bit more discretely.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: kphoger on January 20, 2020, 04:36:07 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 20, 2020, 04:08:39 PM

our are December

You have Massachusetts plates?  Your location says Texas.

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on January 20, 2020, 04:27:55 PM
Does that mean his registration expires in December?  I know motorcycles and commercial vehicles expire in December (and vanity plates in November), but I wasn't aware any standard issue passenger plates did.

He went to a Massachusetts DMV office on October 24th. I want to say it was Easthampton. The corner sticker inside his windshield now definitely says "12", as in December 2020 for the next inspection. The only DMV I've ever dealt with is Connecticut, to renew my present photo ID (which cost $22.50 in 2015).

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on January 20, 2020, 09:11:07 PM

Me three: It's quieter and easier to read it on my own time, at my pace, and actually (gasp!) re-read parts of it.

I understand if there's an actual video involved which would be necessary to understand some event or occurrence, but someone talking over a couple of still images is insulting to my (very limited) intelligence. At least if there's some on-screen words describing an video, you watch it a bit more discretely.

I would also tend to agree, but there are some times and places where videos become podcasts: while driving, riding public transport, or when at the gym. In those three scenarios, video versions of articles are quite handy.

roadman

For general-issue red and white Spirit plates, the month is also displayed in the upper left corner of the plate (JAN, FEB, MAR etc.).  Vanity and other special issue plates are renewed in November, so there's no month displayed on the plate.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 20, 2020, 08:13:34 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2020, 04:46:58 PMVideos in general when a written piece would suffice. Saw something the other day, "The 10 best live albums of the 70s." It's a topic I'm interested in, but the link was to a 12-minute YouTube video. Who has time for that? Why not a written list of the albums and the commentary? I'd rather spend the time reading something at my own pace than 12 minutes watching a video. I could probably read the info contained in that video in about two minutes.

Those are all ploys to take control away from the audience, usually to set up a pipeline for pay-per-click advertising.

Even worse is when each click takes you to a different URL (rather than staying inside the same page), meaning that to "go back" requires tapping the back icon a million times.
Male pronouns, please.

DTComposer

This is a minor thing to me, but seems to be a major thing for many people: more and more it seems to be demanded that you "love" a piece of pop culture or "hate" it. A recent thread on this forum is "TV shows most people love that you hate." There are plenty of shows that are beloved by millions that I haven't watched, or watched and not enjoyed. But I can't imagine a television show filling me with such rage or disgust that I would use the term "hate."

And yet, people are responding with "I hate [show]." Really? Did you watch it and then go punch a wall, or kick a puppy? Does the memory of that show keep you up at night, seething? Did it break up your marriage or estrange you from your children? Did you have to work all this hate out with your therapist?

I get that "hate" may be used hyperbolically in this instance, but it's not always. Along those lines is what's currently being referred to as "toxic fandom." The idea that a movie or tv show is so abhorrent that one needs to wage an campaign to artificially influence ratings, or demand this or that, or to tear down the people who don't agree with your opinion, as if there's some ownership or control of the IP by the viewing audience, seems like such a unhealthy use of one's energy and time.

I am a fan of several long-running franchises - enough so that I will go into a rabbit hole reading wiki articles on minor characters, and I listen to multiple podcasts about those franchises, but not so much that I digest each and every piece of their "expanded universes." In each case, I enjoy most of it. I love a lot of it. And some of it I haven't enjoyed as much. And other people have different opinions - great. But there seems to be a whole lot of people who spend a whole lot of time (online, mostly) telling the world how terrible this movie or that episode was, how the studio/director/writer is "destroying the franchise," and how anyone who disagrees with this viewpoint "isn't a true fan."

Again, it's a minor thing to me, because all of this vitriol doesn't affect my enjoyment (or non-enjoyment) of a piece of entertainment. But I see it, and it does make me worry about the general state of discourse nowadays.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.