News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 01, 2022, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2022, 03:04:30 PM
The phrase "totally destroyed."

It's either destroyed or it's damaged. "Totally destroyed" is redundant.

Suppose you had a factory that had four buildings. And suppose one of them were to be leveled by an EF-5 tornado, while the other three buildings only sustained minor damage. You could then say the plant was "partially destroyed". Saying the plant was "totally destroyed" would mean that all four buildings were destroyed.
I have a beef about the term "totally destroyed" in relating to tornadoes. I'm seeing it used way too often by first responders and tornado victims to describe their homes and towns after relatively weak tornadoes or even just straight-line winds blow through. Like yeah sure, your garage door is dented in, half your shingles were blown off, and the tree in the front yard fell over, but is that "totally destroyed"? Your house is still mostly intact. It's just damaged. I was watching a stream from Ryan Hall just a couple days ago and the reports they were getting in from Minnesota seemed to suggest EF-4 or higher level damage based on wording, when it turned out that the tornadoes that spawned those reports were only EF-1s.

Save the term for when things are actually completely destroyed, like the Moore 1999 F5.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

dlsterner

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 01, 2022, 10:29:26 PM
Eating chips with dip and having the chip break in half as you're dipping the chip. This is especially annoying at parties when there's enough for everyone to share, meaning that you now have a bowl of dip with leftover pieces of chip in it and you can't take it out because of germs.

I guess you can always get another chip to send on a "rescue mission" to try to retrieve the broken piece of the first chip.  Of course, the second chip always breaks as well, and you're worse off than before.

Scott5114

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 01, 2022, 11:06:38 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 01, 2022, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 01, 2022, 03:04:30 PM
The phrase "totally destroyed."

It's either destroyed or it's damaged. "Totally destroyed" is redundant.

Suppose you had a factory that had four buildings. And suppose one of them were to be leveled by an EF-5 tornado, while the other three buildings only sustained minor damage. You could then say the plant was "partially destroyed". Saying the plant was "totally destroyed" would mean that all four buildings were destroyed.
I have a beef about the term "totally destroyed" in relating to tornadoes. I'm seeing it used way too often by first responders and tornado victims to describe their homes and towns after relatively weak tornadoes or even just straight-line winds blow through. Like yeah sure, your garage door is dented in, half your shingles were blown off, and the tree in the front yard fell over, but is that "totally destroyed"? Your house is still mostly intact. It's just damaged. I was watching a stream from Ryan Hall just a couple days ago and the reports they were getting in from Minnesota seemed to suggest EF-4 or higher level damage based on wording, when it turned out that the tornadoes that spawned those reports were only EF-1s.

Save the term for when things are actually completely destroyed, like the Moore 1999 F5.

Yeah, if your roof is still there, it's not "totally destroyed".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Eating chips with dip and having the chip break in half as you're dipping the chip. This is especially annoying at parties when there's enough for everyone to share, meaning that you now have a bowl of dip with leftover pieces of chip in it and you can't take it out because of germs.

There are people who complain if you just pick the chip out of the dip?  Don't associate with that type of person.  They don't make for very fun parties.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2022, 09:51:00 AM

There are people who complain if you just pick the chip out of the dip?  Don't associate with that type of person.  They don't make for very fun parties.

It was probably this guy:

jeffandnicole

Guess they ain't taking a swig from the bottle and passing it on either.

CtrlAltDel

Like just dig in with your fingers? Yeah, don't do that. Get a spoon.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Wow, you guys apparently don't hang out with the same sort of people that I do.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2022, 01:24:14 PM

It's probably for the best.  :-D
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 02, 2022, 01:26:23 PM

It's probably for the best.  [cut]

I agree.  I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.  [paste] :-D
Male pronouns, please.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 02, 2022, 10:47:38 AM

Guess they ain't taking a swig from the bottle and passing it on either.

to say nothing of passing the joint/bong/etc
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2022, 01:34:33 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 02, 2022, 01:26:23 PM

It's probably for the best.  [cut]

I agree.  I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.  [paste] :-D

Doctor: "I believe your problem is that your outlook is too negative. You should try to avoid negative words like 'can't' or 'not.' Do you think you can do that?"

Patient: "I can't see why not."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

LilianaUwU

Watchlist bots in Twitch chats annoy me. Their only purpose is to clog up the viewers list so they can farm follows. They don't even add to the viewer count, and a higher viewer count is something I need if I want to be affiliate someday.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

When I need to scan something to print onto a blank portion of another document–except I don't know one or both of the following:  (1) the correct alignment or orientation I should use when putting it on the glass, (2) the correct orientation for putting the document into the feeder.

So I might end up with something like this:

a.  The new item over-prints what's already on the document, rather than printing in the blank portion.

b.  The new item manages to end up in the blank portion, but it's sideways or upside-down.

c.  The new item ends up on the back of the sheet, rather than the front.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2022, 10:57:40 AMWhen I need to scan something to print onto a blank portion of another document–except I don't know one or both of the following:  (1) the correct alignment or orientation I should use when putting it on the glass, (2) the correct orientation for putting the document into the feeder.

a.  The new item over-prints what's already on the document, rather than printing in the blank portion.

b.  The new item manages to end up in the blank portion, but it's sideways or upside-down.

Is it an option to access the form as a PDF and paste the scanned material into it?

A related annoyance is a demand for wet signatures on forms that are distributed in PDF.  This typically entails downloading the form, filling it out, printing it, signing it in ink, and mailing it.  In the past I've had to deal with this as part of the process of obtaining and maintaining access to an online resource, and feel fortunate that the provider now accepts digital signatures in lieu of ink, meaning I can simply sign the required forms digitally in Foxit Reader and email them, thus sidestepping postal delays.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 03, 2022, 12:39:37 PM
A related annoyance is a demand for wet signatures on forms that are distributed in PDF.  This typically entails downloading the form, filling it out, printing it, signing it in ink, and mailing it.

My co-worker deals with this one all the time.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

People who call me and don't leave a voicemail.  If I have a missed call from you, and I don't know who you are, then I'm not calling you back.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 03, 2022, 12:39:37 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2022, 10:57:40 AMWhen I need to scan something to print onto a blank portion of another document–except I don't know one or both of the following:  (1) the correct alignment or orientation I should use when putting it on the glass, (2) the correct orientation for putting the document into the feeder.

Is it an option to access the form as a PDF and paste the scanned material into it?

A related annoyance is a demand for wet signatures on forms that are distributed in PDF.  This typically entails downloading the form, filling it out, printing it, signing it in ink, and mailing it.  In the past I've had to deal with this as part of the process of obtaining and maintaining access to an online resource, and feel fortunate that the provider now accepts digital signatures in lieu of ink, meaning I can simply sign the required forms digitally in Foxit Reader and email them, thus sidestepping postal delays.

I have an image of my signature that I can just copy and paste into PDFs, which I then email back to whoever. No one has ever questioned me on it, but that could just be apathy on their part.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 03, 2022, 01:30:51 PM
People who call me and don't leave a voicemail.  If I have a missed call from you, and I don't know who you are, then I'm not calling you back.

If it's not important that you call me back, then I generally don't bother leaving a message.  Not every missed call justifies expecting a call-back.
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 03, 2022, 01:30:51 PM
In most cases it is a telemarketer/robocall.

kphoger

Actually, that's why I always answer the phone.  If it's a number I don't recognize, then I just say 'llo and then go silent.  I hate it when I receive a new voicemail, and it ends up just being the last 60% of a scam recording.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 03, 2022, 01:36:18 PMI have an image of my signature that I can just copy and paste into PDFs, which I then email back to whoever. No one has ever questioned me on it, but that could just be apathy on their part.

I have the same thing and it is usually accepted, but I've dealt with several organizations that do want wet signatures.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Microsoft Excel's default column width is the ridiculously not-round value of 8.43.  How has this been allowed to continue?
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 12:43:50 PM
Microsoft Excel's default column width is the ridiculously not-round value of 8.43.  How has this been allowed to continue?

8.43 what?

LibreOffice defaults to 0.89" (with inches specified as the unit), which is similarly a not-round number. But it does at least correlate to 64 points, which is a power of two, so at least there's some squint-and-tilt-your-head logic to it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on June 07, 2022, 12:43:50 PM

It's measured in pixels of eight, which means it was probably devised by some pirate.

I think one of the first things I do is make columns in round numbers. Like 10.00 or 25.00 and size all the heights up to something like 20.00 because it looks nicer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.