News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: brownpelican on June 30, 2017, 08:57:15 PM
Gov. Edwards used his line-item veto power to take out $77 million worth of projects from the $3.8 billion state construction budget passed during the special session earlier this month.

It involves 36 projects from around the state, including some road/highway projects.

http://www.wbrz.com/news/77-million-stripped-from-state-construction-budget

EDIT: The veto messages can be found here: http://legis.la.gov/archive/172ES/veto.htm See HB 2. Projects vetoed include:

• $7,560,100 for LA 930 Reconstruction (Ascension).
  • $9,650,000 for LA 64 Capacity Improvements (LA 1019 to LA 16) Planning and Construction (Livingston Parish).
  • $433,400 for Wiles Road and Kountry Komer Road Reconstruction, Planning and Construction.(Caldwell).
  • $200,000 for Iberia Parish Highway 90 West Drainage Improvements (Iberia).
  • $1,990,000 for Airline Drive (US 61) at 17th Street Canal Drainage Crossing Railroad Bridge Replacement, Planning and Construction (Jefferson).
  • $495,000 for Roadway Reconstruction, Planning and Construction (Winn).
  • $110,000 for Anacoco Street Rehabilitation - Liles Road and East Road, Planning and Construction (Vemon).
  • $2,660,000 for Five Lane Road Extension from Highway 675 to Highway 3212, Planning and Construction (Iberia).
  • $245,000 for Rehabilitate LA Hwy 182 from US 90 to LA Hwy 89, Planning and Construction (Lafayette).
  • $2,240,000 for Three-Lane LA 182 in the City of Broussard, Planning and Construction ($750,000 Match) (Lafayette).
  • $1,000,000 for Verot School Road, Construction (Lafayette).
  • $1,200,000 for LA Highway 616 (Caldwell Road to LA Highway 143), Planning and Construction (Ouachita).

I had no idea that the governor had line-item veto. Very interesting.

It appears that, except for the projects involving US 61, US 90 & LA 182, he seems to have vetoed projects involving lesser LA highways.

I have seen LA 616. It is a busy street in West Monroe. What about the other roads vetoed? Are these major routes?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jbnv

Verot School Road is a state highway and already under construction for expansion. Broussard has grown tremendously in the last decade or so and I suspect the changes in and near it are needed.

Edwards is from rural Tangipahoa Parish. None of the items that he vetoed are for Tangipahoa. Edwards has already shown favoritism. I suspect these vetoes are punishment for certain representatives or senators voting against him or his friends.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

brownpelican

La. 64 (Magnolia Bridge Rd) in western Livingston Parish is a busy thoroughfare/shortcut as it connects the Watson-Denham Springs area to Greenwell Springs Road. Many from Amite/northern Livingston take La. 64 or La. 1019 as a shortcut to Greenwell Springs Road to Baton Rouge or to Baker/Zachary.

I'm pretty sure the projects in Iberia Parish are in and around New Iberia.

jbnv

Quote from: brownpelican on July 01, 2017, 11:10:13 PM
La. 64 (Magnolia Bridge Rd) in western Livingston Parish is a busy thoroughfare/shortcut as it connects the Watson-Denham Springs area to Greenwell Springs Road. Many from Amite/northern Livingston take La. 64 or La. 1019 as a shortcut to Greenwell Springs Road to Baton Rouge or to Baker/Zachary.

I'm familiar with this road as I have taken it a few times to get from Central through Denham Springs to Independence. I can't say for certain that it deserves more lanes but would not argue with those who say it does.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Great Lakes Roads

I-310 over the elevated section to I-10 will increase to 70 mph starting on August 1... formerly a 60 mph speed limit that was signed in 1999...

Article: http://www.heraldguide.com/details.php?id=18901

I approve this speed limit...  :clap: :clap: :clap:

brownpelican

DOTD has a design-build contract that will widen I-10 to six lanes from Highland Road near Baton Rouge to La. 73 in Ascension Parish. Work is to begin next year.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=14657

UptownRoadGeek

Expect a redesign of the exits between College and Dalrymple in the near future.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 14, 2017, 10:35:34 PM
Expect a redesign of the exits between College and Dalrymple in the near future.

That portion is unrelated to the segment of I-10 being improved under this Design-Build contract. The latter is from the Highland Road/Perkins Road interchange south of BTR (where the existing 6-lane segment ends) to the LA 73 interchange near Gonzales.

The segment of I-10 within BTR from LA 415 through the I-12 Split is still being developed and reviewed under an Environmental Assessment; it will still be a while before that segment is finalized and funded. That will probably involve redesigns of the interchanges along that section (Washington/Louisa/Dalrymple; College Drive, and Acadian Thruway).

An associated project to construct a left exit to Terrace Avenue near the I-10/I-110 Split for southbound I-110 traffic to avoid crossing through eastbound I-10 traffic to get to the Washington Street exit for the Mid City neighborhood, is funded and waiting for final design to be competed prior to construction.

There's also the final resolution for what will become of the Baton Rouge Toll Loop Bypass; whether it will follow the routes approved in the Tier I EIS (Airline Highway to Plank Road, then new alignment north of Denham Springs/Walker for the North section; new bridge around Addis/Gardere for a connection between I-10 for the South section).

Some would prefer the BUMP solution, which would freewayize Airine Highway (US 61/190) for its full length through BTR; and a Westbank Corridor paralleling LA 1 to Donaldsonville which would use the existing Jimmie Davis Sunshine Bridge to access I-10 south of Gonzales.

IOWs, it's still very much up in the air regarding Baton Rouge.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: jbnv on July 01, 2017, 09:47:51 PM
Verot School Road is a state highway and already under construction for expansion. Broussard has grown tremendously in the last decade or so and I suspect the changes in and near it are needed.

Edwards is from rural Tangipahoa Parish. None of the items that he vetoed are for Tangipahoa. Edwards has already shown favoritism. I suspect these vetoes are punishment for certain representatives or senators voting against him or his friends.

JBE's not the first governor of LA to exploit the line-item veto for political purposes; and he won't be the last, either.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

froggie

Bridge and pavement rehab/replacement can't be considered priority?

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: Anthony_JK on August 15, 2017, 08:01:18 AM

The segment of I-10 within BTR from LA 415 through the I-12 Split is still being developed and reviewed under an Environmental Assessment; it will still be a while before that segment is finalized and funded. That will probably involve redesigns of the interchanges along that section (Washington/Louisa/Dalrymple; College Drive, and Acadian Thruway.

This is the project that I was referring to. The alternates for those two exits in particular have been narrowed down and as of now  favor a braided design at  Dalrymple to work in conjunction with the changes at Terrace/Washington.

brownpelican

DOTD announced low bids for 13 more projects across the state, most of which are on the Highway Priority Program.

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=14925

jbnv

QuoteLA 73 (Government Street) "road diet"  in East Baton Rouge Parish: $11,724,721.80

$11 million to make Government Street smaller? This doesn't make any sense.

cenlaroads

Quote from: jbnv on September 16, 2017, 01:34:13 PM
QuoteLA 73 (Government Street) "road diet"  in East Baton Rouge Parish: $11,724,721.80

Yes.  The plan is to reduce it from 4 lanes to 3 lanes, along with adding bicycle lanes.  There is more information about the project here:  http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/home.aspx?key=91

I would rather they widen it to 5 lanes myself, but that would not be very feasible.

jbnv

Quote from: cenlaroads on September 17, 2017, 11:25:03 PM

Yes.  The plan is to reduce it from 4 lanes to 3 lanes, along with adding bicycle lanes.  There is more information about the project here:  http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/home.aspx?key=91

I would rather they widen it to 5 lanes myself, but that would not be very feasible.

Ah, the plan also includes replacing the cluster-intersection at Government, Lobdell and Independence with a roundabout (which makes sense), and improving the Government/Jefferson intersection (which also makes sense). And, oh yeah, restriping the road.

jasonh300

Quote from: jbnv on September 18, 2017, 10:17:15 AM
Quote from: cenlaroads on September 17, 2017, 11:25:03 PM

Ah, the plan also includes replacing the cluster-intersection at Government, Lobdell and Independence with a roundabout (which makes sense), and improving the Government/Jefferson intersection (which also makes sense). And, oh yeah, restriping the road.

Seeing as the LADOTD has been circle-happy over the past few years, how are the new roundabouts that have been installed working out?  I know there are a number of them along the northshore and in Lafayette.  The one that I know of that was installed in New Orleans is a few years old now, and is on a very underutilized intersection, so I suppose it may just be for decoration (Mardi Gras Blvd and Franklin St/Nunez St under the CCC Bridge).  Every time I go through there and encounter another vehicle, it seems like they're unsure of what they're supposed to do, and I end up having to brake because the other vehicle is stopping where they don't need to stop.

Looks like they're going with another one up in Covington.  http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/09/roundabout_near_downtown_covin.html

jbnv

They're working out fairly well. They replaced the intersections at I-12 and US 51 BUS in Hammond with circles, and those intersections are flowing much more smoothly now. Looks like they're putting in circles at I-12 and LA 447 in Walker, which also badly needs improved flow. However, they botched one in Denham Springs on US 190 at Eden Church.

brownpelican

St. Tammany Parish has a number of them as well...and they're working out pretty good as well.

brownpelican

DOTD met with St. Tammany officials and citizens earlier this week to talk about the most needed projects in the parish.

As of right now, here are the status of those projects:

* La. 21 widening in Covington - to be complete by the end of the month.
* US 11 road elevation in Slidell from Spartan Drive to Oak Harbor Bouldevard - complete by the end of the year
* US 190 Bogue Falaya River Bridge expansion - Phase 1 of 3 underway
* La. 434 widening - public meeting this month
* La. 41 Spur Pearl River bridge - to be let June 2019
* Phase 1 of I-12 widening from La. 21 to US 190 in Covington - to go to bid July 2019
* La. 3241(aka I-12 to Bush) - in wetlands mitigation now. Phase 1 (La. 36 to La. 435) to go to bid in 2022
* Sidewalk improvements on Gause Boulevard (Front to 14th streets) - go to bid July 2019

brownpelican

Speaking of US 190 in Covington, DOTD has slightly revised its plans on widening Collins Boulevard.

brownpelican

Quote from: jasonh300 on September 20, 2017, 10:53:37 AM
Looks like they're going with another one up in Covington.  http://www.nola.com/northshore/index.ssf/2017/09/roundabout_near_downtown_covin.html

That's gonna be a BIG help with traffic when that's done.

brownpelican

The Amite River bridge at French Settlement is going to be replaced.

jasonh300

DeaconG

Quote from: jasonh300 on January 31, 2018, 02:23:20 PM
Roadwaywiz is live in New Orleans!

https://youtu.be/vxtUPgCWJMQ

Wasn't he just in Ohio? He's gotta have a teleporter...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.