odd signal progression

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2013, 11:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I have seen this signal progression before - infrequently, but in many locations across the US.  does anyone have an explanation for why this is the case?

the progression is:
1) red ball, green right turn arrow
2) red ball, yellow right turn arrow
3) red ball, red right turn arrow
4) green ball

why is it necessary to pause the right-turning traffic, if they are going to get the green anyway?  I was approaching the light as this progression was taking place, and I came to a stop before my right turn - anticipating that I'd get traffic from my left, or ahead of me turning left, to yield to.  But this was not the case, so I was forced to make what I thought was an unnecessary stop.

am I just failing to think of something?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

I've seen this in NJ's 4-head configured (basically, there's no red arrow, but the red ball counts as the same thing).

The only thing I can figure is some sort of limitation or programming in the light controller.  On the NJ state road intersections, generally the green arrow will stay lit on a red bulb until the thru-traffic light goes green.  In Gloucester County, NJ though, the progression is generally how you state it.  Slightly annoying!

DaBigE

The only thing I can think of is to prevent regular drivers from always expecting the green to follow. This way, they can vary the intersection timing in more ways without violating driver expectancy.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Mr_Northside

What kind of intersection?
Was there pedestrian crossing signals?  If there were, that would be my guess; They want traffic to stop while a conflicting pedestrian movement has the "Walk" signal. 
If there are no ped crossing signals at this intersection, I can't explain it. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 28, 2013, 02:14:36 PM
What kind of intersection?
Was there pedestrian crossing signals?  If there were, that would be my guess; They want traffic to stop while a conflicting pedestrian movement has the "Walk" signal. 
If there are no ped crossing signals at this intersection, I can't explain it. 

If it's what I'm thinking, the progression leaves an all red phase for only a second or two, not 20+ seconds which would be required for a ped crossing.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 28, 2013, 11:29:01 AM
I have seen this signal progression before - infrequently, but in many locations across the US.  does anyone have an explanation for why this is the case?

the progression is:
4) green ball

why is it necessary to pause the right-turning traffic, if they are going to get the green anyway?  I was approaching the light as this progression was taking place, and I came to a stop before my right turn - anticipating that I'd get traffic from my left, or ahead of me turning left, to yield to.  But this was not the case, so I was forced to make what I thought was an unnecessary stop.

There is an intersection like this right by my house.  It is a 4-way intersection where the primary traffic flow is between the south and west branches of the intersection.  The northbound traffic has a very long time where the light is green for both left and thru/right traffic.  During this time the eastbound traffic has a green arrow for traffic turning right.

This is followed by a very brief time where the light is green for northbound and southbound thru/right traffic, and the eastbound traffic will have a red arrow for turning right.  The next sequence in the light is a brief period where the eastbound and westbound traffic have a green light. 

So, for the eastbound traffic turning right, their sequence would be as you described above.  As an aside, this is a very dangerous intersection because the green right arrow lasts so long for the eastbound traffic that many cars assume they ALWAYS have that arrow and make right turns on red right in front of cars (namely me) that are going southbound thru the intersection and have to slam on the brakes to not hit them.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

catch22

the progression is:
4) green ball

There are a few of these around here (western Wayne County, MI), most installed over the last couple of years.  I noticed that the right green-arrow, yellow-arrow, red-arrow sequence precisely matches the cross street's left-arrow sequence.  Could it be they just went for the cheap and use the same signal line for both?

Brandon

the progression is:
4) green ball

Not as many like this around here.  The various agencies (DOT, counties, municipalities) tend to use five lamp towers for a right turn signal like this with the following progression:

3) green ball
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

For a right turn arrow around Chicagoland?  At least for Illinois portion of Chicagoland, excluding city of Chicago signals, most of the signals have the right turn after the through traffic since they overlap with the left turns on the cross street - the overlapping part has something to do with the signal controller.  This gives a sequence of:

1) Green ball
2) Yellow ball
3) Red ball
4) Red ball + Green right turn arrow (cross street has Green left turn arrow)
5) Red ball + Yellow right turn arrow (cross street has Yellow left turn arrow)
6) Red ball

For some of the older signals, the Green right turn arrow will appear on steps 2 and 3, but I'm told this is no longer allowed in the MUTCD.

roadfro

It's technically not necessary to pause the right turning traffic. However, it does make sense operationally. If there is a pedestrian phase that will accompany the circular green, it makes sense to bring turning traffic to a stop before initiating the walk phase (wherein right turning traffic would need to yield to pedestrians legally in the crosswalk before turning) so as to not transition directly from protected to "permitted" without a clearance interval.

Most FYAs typically follow this pattern as well, showing a brief red arrow before the flashing yellow arrow comes on (where protected phase proceeds permitted). It is a similar phasing principle.

Going briefly to a short red interval also helps reinforce that a protected phase does not always lead into a permitted phase.

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 29, 2013, 10:28:48 PM
For some of the older signals, the Green right turn arrow will appear on steps 2 and 3, but I'm told this is no longer allowed in the MUTCD.

I don't think that is expressly prohibited by the MUTCD, and could conceivably be a reasonable signal phase overlap as long as there are no conflicting phases.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

realjd

the progression is:
4) green ball

Is phase 3 long? I see this often where phase 2 corresponds to the cross street having a green left turn phase, followed by phase 3 corresponding to the cross streets all green phase.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on January 30, 2013, 02:25:52 AM

It's technically not necessary to pause the right turning traffic. However, it does make sense operationally. If there is a pedestrian phase that will accompany the circular green, it makes sense to bring turning traffic to a stop before initiating the walk phase (wherein right turning traffic would need to yield to pedestrians legally in the crosswalk before turning) so as to not transition directly from protected to "permitted" without a clearance interval.

Most FYAs typically follow this pattern as well, showing a brief red arrow before the flashing yellow arrow comes on (where protected phase proceeds permitted). It is a similar phasing principle.

Going briefly to a short red interval also helps reinforce that a protected phase does not always lead into a permitted phase.

got it.

in this case, there was no pedestrian phase, but I can see the controller implementing the short red briefly in all situations, regardless of whether or not the pedestrian phase was upcoming.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

There are at least two intersections in Grand Junction, CO in which one set of left turn lanes gets a protected green arrow at both the beginning AND at the end of a cycle before the intersecting street gets their green.  :spin:

roadman65

On Lee Road in Winter Park, FL the eastbound left turn signal for I-4 EB Ramp gets a before and after left turn phase.

What is annoying that Orange County, FL changes the left turn phase depending on the time of day, and it can get confusing at times.  There are some that are not consistent, where at random the controller decides when the left turn phase should be as some lights where yesterday at the same time, same location, both days weekdays; where it was before the main phase was at that time post main phase.  I am guessing the controller is programed to make its own decisions in some applications based on data gathered from the detector loops.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

the progression is:
4) green ball

I think roadfro nailed the answer to this question.  However, that doesn't apply to a similar situation where I live: Samish Way & Lincoln Street. (If you can't make it out, even panning forward, there are three lanes: left only, straight only, and right only.  And there are two signal heads, each with four aspects, the left with a left arrow under the three balls, and the right with a right arrow.)

This morning, I approached from the north on Lincoln Street just as the light was turning red.  I believe oncoming traffic had a green at the time as well, so it was a permissive left, and the progression was as you might expect:

1) green balls, green right arrow
2) yellow balls, yellow right arrow
3) red balls (arrow unlit)

But as in Jake's example, #3 lasted only a second or two.  The next phase was protected lefts for cross traffic (coming from the east it's called Elwood Av, from the west, it's Samish Way).  So once those left turns got green arrows, so did the right turn from Lincoln onto Samish that had just turned red!  (This was the maneuver I was making, so I had to slow as I approached the intersection -- not knowing for certain what the next phase was even though I drive through the intersection almost daily -- but did not stop as the arrow turned green again well before I got to the stop line.)

Any logical explanation for this one?

To clarify:
3) red balls (arrow unlit) -- couple of seconds at most
4) red balls, green right arrow

roadfro

Quote from: Kacie Jane on February 01, 2013, 04:18:10 PM
But as in Jake's example, #3 lasted only a second or two.  The next phase was protected lefts for cross traffic (coming from the east it's called Elwood Av, from the west, it's Samish Way).  So once those left turns got green arrows, so did the right turn from Lincoln onto Samish that had just turned red!  (This was the maneuver I was making, so I had to slow as I approached the intersection -- not knowing for certain what the next phase was even though I drive through the intersection almost daily -- but did not stop as the arrow turned green again well before I got to the stop line.)

Any logical explanation for this one?

To clarify:
3) red balls (arrow unlit) -- couple of seconds at most
4) red balls, green right arrow

As I'm understanding it, you're describing a signal head with standard circular red/yellow/green sections and a bi-modal green/yellow arrow underneath. If I recall correctly, such arrangements aren't exactly a common standard (I don't think it appears in the MUTCD).

Similar to the previous situation, this could be phased to overlap the southbound through with the eastbound/westbound turns. It could be a limitation in the signal controller with the overlap, but might also be related to the signal head itself and how that operates with the controller.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.