Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

There are two shops at Sarcoxie, MO that have old signs. One has 48 inch construction signs, the other has a bunch of STOP signs in various conditions as well as a couple US 166 signs. Stop signs are $30+, but I didn't ask about the 166.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Lancaster6 on June 24, 2018, 01:50:34 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 22, 2018, 03:20:23 PMWhat California Spades do you have behind the US 1&9?

I've got a CA 99 and 58 hiding back there.

Nice, had to ask once I saw those in the background. 

cjk374

Another ditch rescue had to be performed due to a sign replacement project. Such a shame:   :sombrero:

20180709_174142 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

The reason these are being replaced is listed on the back:

20180709_174218 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Small recent add from a scarp shop; a Caltrans Semi-Route 18x18 sign:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 62 shield, been looking for one for a long time.  Lots of interesting memories about blowing a tire on the 100 mile stretch without service and changing it out on the side of the highway:

US71

Only thing I've picked up lately is a Historic Route US 66 sign from Illinois. I got it at a silent auction at the Route 66 Festival in Texas.

Max Rockatansky

Finally found a reasonably priced CA 49, been seeking this one for a long time:

US71

I picked up a souvenir-sized National Road sign on my trip, but didn't find many opportunities, otherwise.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up an unused G28-1 spec California State Route 14 shield:

I run into this shield type now and then out on the State Highways. Generally I've founded them to be somewhat common in Southern California mostly.  The G28-1 spec shield is substantially smaller than the G28-2 shield that is a far more common variant.  Personally I think the G28-1 is pretty ugly but it fits well in my garage with the bigger shields.  Below I linked over the California MUTCD specs for G28-1 and G28-2 shields.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/tcd/docs/G28-1.pdf

http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/tcd/docs/G28-2.pdf

MNHighwayMan

I'll admit, this was an impulse purchase. Stuff that isn't from Minnesota isn't typically in my purview, but I figured this was unique enough (and inexpensive enough) that... why not?

A US/state route mix-up error shield from New York. This one never made it to the field, as none of the holes have been punched through the sheeting, although it clearly saw a little bit of abuse while in storage. The upper left edge was also a bit screwed up in fabrication, since the black doesn't completely fill in that corner.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a Lassen County Route A25 shield on the cheap off eBay the other day.  I haven't driven this one but I've driven by it several times on US 395 near Honey Lake on the way to Reno and/or Susanville.  I'd prefer a J1 or J16 but its rare enough these become available:

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a County Route A3 from the same person I got the A25 from.  A3 is on the north end of Honey Lake, this one is 24x24 as opposed to the 18x18 A25:

https://flic.kr/p/2dBQ65N

kurumi

Neighboring house in Princeville, Kauai on a recent trip.

Sorry for potato quality; only better angle would have been trespassing in their yard. But there were US 101 and CA 192 signs mounted on their back porch exterior walls.

(pixelation is from through a screen on a cloudy day)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Weird to see a CA 192 shield all the way the hell out there.  Didn't one of those pop up on eBay awhile back?

ClassicHasClass

Nabbed an Australian Tourist Drive 1 sign. It's kind of beat up and will need a bit of flattening in the vise but should display well. It will go with my National Highway 87 reassurance shield and National Route 1 coverplate.

Still, my prized one is an embossed Maine US 1. The paint is largely original. I even found an embossed R to go with it, even though I don't think Maine ever used those, but it matches.

US71

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 14, 2019, 10:43:08 AM
Nabbed an Australian Tourist Drive 1 sign. It's kind of beat up and will need a bit of flattening in the vise but should display well. It will go with my National Highway 87 reassurance shield and National Route 1 coverplate.

Still, my prized one is an embossed Maine US 1. The paint is largely original. I even found an embossed R to go with it, even though I don't think Maine ever used those, but it matches.

There was an R sign on e-bay a few weeks ago.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjk374 on July 09, 2018, 08:32:06 PM
Another ditch rescue had to be performed due to a sign replacement project. Such a shame:   :sombrero:

20180709_174142 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

The reason these are being replaced is listed on the back:

20180709_174218 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

cool find!

Max Rockatansky

Picked up this steel square US 202 from Maine a couple years back:

https://flic.kr/p/SB9LxG

I honestly would have preferred just a modern Us 202 shield since I lived off it in Connecticut for 6 years. But I'm not going to complain for the price I paid to get something steel. 

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on February 14, 2019, 11:44:58 AM

What does an R sign mean?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on February 15, 2019, 06:47:24 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 14, 2019, 11:44:58 AM

What does an R sign mean?

Turn Right. It was posted below the route shield. 

It was actually a LEFT that was on e-bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-L-Route-66-Highway-Shield-Marker-Road-Sign-Embossed-G-S-amp-D-G-Railroad-/382754612485?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=xFGfGWIdDESAdhjCDlb6XCfVsF0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

MNHighwayMan

I bought this last week, received it on Saturday: an Anoka County Road 10 shield.

Anoka and Ramsey County 10 are the former alignment of US-10 in the northern Twin Cities suburbs, before the freeway between MN-47 and I-35W was completed in 1999.

This sign was made by a contractor a couple years after that, judging by the sticker on the back.

This next sign I've had for a couple years now, but it's relevant to the above sign: a MnDOT US-10 shield.

This one appears to have never been posted in the field, since it's in really good condition and it lacks the impressions of washers around the mounting holes. Interesting to note that the date code near the bottom center, "799", indicates it was fabricated in July 1999, which is pretty close to the time that the aforementioned freeway section opened.

Here's a closeup picture of the date code and the MnDOT logo at the bottom center.

US71

I have a couple new ones, but haven't photographed & Flickr'd them yet.

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on March 26, 2019, 11:56:40 AM
I have a couple new ones, but haven't photographed & Flickr'd them yet.

Haven't seen the term Flickr'd used much.

Max Rockatansky

Speaking of Minnesota there was a US 59 shield up recently in eBay.  I missed out on buying it before the listing disappeared, would have liked to have that one given the National Park connection. 

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 26, 2019, 12:47:06 PM
Speaking of Minnesota there was a US 59 shield up recently in eBay.  I missed out on buying it before the listing disappeared, would have liked to have that one given the National Park connection. 

I missed seeing it. I did get a 71 shield a couple weeks ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.