District of Columbia

Started by Alex, April 07, 2009, 01:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

WTOP has a tweet tonight saying DC is expected to post the new Interstate numbers sometime next year. Of course, that still leaves 366 possibilities.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 08, 2023, 07:11:56 PM
WTOP has a tweet tonight saying DC is expected to post the new Interstate numbers sometime next year. Of course, that still leaves 366 possibilities.

Should I take this as a leap year reference or an ethanman reference?   :clap:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

vdeane

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 08, 2023, 07:19:51 PM

Referencing the number of days in the year didn't even cross my mind until I read your post.  "Tandem announcement with VDOT on signing VA 28 as I-366" did.  Clearly I've been on the forum too long.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cockroachking

Quote from: vdeane on November 08, 2023, 08:40:14 PM

Referencing the number of days in the year didn't even cross my mind until I read your post.  "Tandem announcement with VDOT on signing VA 28 as I-366" did.  Clearly I've been on the forum too long.
Not unreasonable due to DDOT's signage delay. VDOT might sign I-366 before DDOT acts at this rate :biggrin:

Revive 755

Quote from: Rothman on October 18, 2023, 10:26:52 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 18, 2023, 10:00:38 PM
Is there any way to increase the vertical clearance of pedestrian and vehicle overpasses (and vehicle underpasses) along DC 295 without excessive condemning of nearby properties?
Probably not, given ADA requirements.

I would go with 'probably not' as well, but on other factors:

* Is lowering DC 295 out of the question?  Runs into costs, possibly water table/soil issues, maybe problems with nearby ramps.
* Can space be taken from the outer roads along DC 295?  May run into opposition due to the loss of parking.
* Use elevators for ADA compliance?  Runs into issues with operation and maintenance costs.

1995hoo

I meant it as a leap year reference, but I did wonder whether people would construe it as the other.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 09, 2023, 07:34:42 AM

I meant it as a leap year reference, but I did wonder whether people would construe it as the other.
I had no clue it was a leap year reference until someone mentioned it.

1995hoo

I suppose I could have said "365" to make it more obvious what I meant, but if I'd done that, the usual suspects would have pointed out that 365 would have been wrong (and they'd have been right about that).

tmoore952

FWIW, I immediately got the leap year reference.

I'm not aware of the other reference (i.e., not aware of potential (or otherwise) VA 28/I-366 connection --- and if they were to do that, why not 166?)

FLAVORTOWN

There already is a 166 in VA and VDOT does not allow same numbers to be used on different highway types

74/171FAN

Quote from: FLAVORTOWN on November 11, 2023, 12:46:10 AM
There already is a 166 in VA and VDOT does not allow same numbers to be used on different highway types

With few exceptions (VA and US 13, VA and US 311).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hotdogPi

I-366 is a forum meme started by a troll.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 10, 2023, 11:47:12 PM

FWIW, I immediately got the leap year reference.

I'm not aware of the other reference (i.e., not aware of potential (or otherwise) VA 28/I-366 connection --- and if they were to do that, why not 166?)
Ethanman has spoken:
Quote from: ethanman62187 on August 24, 2011, 04:10:58 PM
Do you think VA 28 north of I66 will be changed to I366?  Will the speed limit there go up to 65 mph?
Quote from: ethanman62187 on August 27, 2011, 11:55:14 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 24, 2011, 04:48:35 PM
Should this not go to Fictional Highways?  :hmmm:
Actually, I'm doing this on purpose because when all of the traffic lights north on I66 are removed, it will be an auxiliary route of I66. I also think 55 mph is not fast enough, so I also want that speed limit to go up to 65 mph. The Elanor C. Lawrence Park will be turned to a trumpet interchange. The intersection south of that will be an SPUI. The traffic light south of that will be removed. Going to I66 east from south will use route 50 to get there because the signal there will also be removed. That's all for this area on signal removals.
Note that none of this was originally posted in Fictional (and the thread title may have changed with the move).  I also seem to remember him being more insistent that VA 28 becoming I-366 WILL happen... did some posts get deleted?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

Does VA 28 north of Interstate 66 really need an Interstate designation, such as Interstate 366? Although VA 28 from US 29 northward is up to freeway standards, is it also up to Interstate Standards? I think VA 28 has as much of a chance at becoming an Interstate, as proposals to extend the VA 28 roadway across a bridge over the Potomac River into Maryland: Zero!

FLAVORTOWN

I dont think VA-28 is upto interstate standards theres too many exits right next to each other, not to mention the weird layout for Waxpool Rd exit

Ted$8roadFan

tmoore952

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 16, 2023, 06:31:16 AM
Will the Capitals and Wizards be moving to Virginia?

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/wizards-capitals-owner-announces-2-billion-plan-to-move-teams-to-virginia/3493235/

I went to Hawaii this week. This story was breaking right when I got back Wednesday afternoon. It's been the lead story in DC ever since, usually with several substories attached.

It is not a done deal, needs to get approval. The locals in the area of the proposed arena seem to be split on this. The nearest Metro stop (Potomac Yards) would need major upgrades. Potomac Yards also happens to have been the most recent Metro station to open, and for whatever reasons (guessing anticipated low volume usage) they put in only one escalator and stairway.

machpost

Quote from: tmoore952 on December 16, 2023, 11:31:01 AMThe nearest Metro stop (Potomac Yards) would need major upgrades. Potomac Yards also happens to have been the most recent Metro station to open, and for whatever reasons (guessing anticipated low volume usage) they put in only one escalator and stairway.

That station is also hemmed in with several sets of railroad tracks to the west, and the GW Parkway to the east, and its design had to meet NPS approval in fitting the aesthetic of the Parkway, so those things could've contributed.

1995hoo

Quote from: machpost on December 18, 2023, 08:16:06 AM
Quote from: tmoore952 on December 16, 2023, 11:31:01 AMThe nearest Metro stop (Potomac Yards) would need major upgrades. Potomac Yards also happens to have been the most recent Metro station to open, and for whatever reasons (guessing anticipated low volume usage) they put in only one escalator and stairway.

That station is also hemmed in with several sets of railroad tracks to the west, and the GW Parkway to the east, and its design had to meet NPS approval in fitting the aesthetic of the Parkway, so those things could've contributed.

Those things absolutely contributed. The National Park Service jurisdiction is also why there is highly unlikely ever to be a new exit from the GW Parkway to the plot designated for the arena. (For those familiar with Potomac Yard, the arena is to be built on the plot where the 16-screen Hoyt's cinema used to be.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.