News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where does I-95 go in Philadelphia?

Started by DevalDragon, March 25, 2014, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 31, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 31, 2014, 09:51:50 AM
3.  The free highway in question wasn't originally an Interstate (ex. I-376 was originally part of PA 60).

This particular example doesn't fit, since the intersecting highway is a turnpike toll road as well.  Though there is also local access to PA-351.  This does mean that I-76 to WB (heading NB) I-376 has to contend with a stop sign and a left turn.
Fair enough.  A better example would probably be the Valley Forge interchange.  The original route number for the Schuylkill Expressway was PA 43 before it became an Interstate (first I-80S then the current I-76).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

qguy

For the record, the ones that actually whined & pressed then-Gov. Rendell shortly after taking office in 2003 to downsize the 202 Bypass Extension to the current Parkway were not the ones that resided near the corridor but actually those that lived north of the older 70s-era bypass... Buckingham Township in particular.  Their *Ahem* concern was that the southern extension would've motivated pressure to construct a northern extension.

As a former PennDOT District 6-0 employee (in which district the US 202 project resides), I can vouch for the truth of this.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 31, 2014, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on March 31, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
3.  The free highway in question wasn't originally an Interstate (ex. I-376 was originally part of PA 60).

This particular example doesn't fit, since the intersecting highway is a turnpike toll road as well.  Though there is also local access to PA-351.  This does mean that I-76 to WB (heading NB) I-376 has to contend with a stop sign and a left turn.
Fair enough.  A better example would probably be the Valley Forge interchange.  The original route number for the Schuylkill Expressway was PA 43 before it became an Interstate (first I-80S then the current I-76).
Interesting, the old PA 43 is associated with I-76, the new one is associated with the PA Turnpike.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on March 31, 2014, 09:33:26 PMInteresting, the old PA 43 is associated with I-76, the new one is associated with the PA Turnpike.
According to Steve Anderson's page (scroll down), the Schuylkill Expressway had the PA 43 designation until 1958 when it became an Interstate.

You're right it is interesting (if not coincidental) that the current PA 43 is associated w/the PA Turnpike.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.