I-93 Somerville to Methuen Changeable Message Signs Finally Active

Started by roadman, March 25, 2014, 09:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: 1 on April 04, 2014, 06:49:24 PM
Quote from: roadman on April 04, 2014, 05:46:15 PM
Passed the CMS at route 129 again earlier today.  They have an expanded message regarding the Pru Tunnel restrictions.  What caught my attention was that the split in frames for the message "I-90/PRU TUNNEL LANE  CLOSURES THIS WEEKEND"  had LANE at the bottom of the first frame, and CLOSURES at the top of the second.

I know the current MUTCD seriously frowns upon freeway CMSes conveying three-frame messages, but IMO it would make far more sense to use a three-frame message here.  Something like:

(frame 1)  I-90/MASSPIKE  PRU  TUNNEL
(frame 2)  LANE  CLOSURES
(frame 3)  THIS   WEEKEND

"LANE CLOSURES THIS WEEKEND" would fit on a single frame.
You are indeed correct sir, at least for displays on MassDOT's overhead CMS panels.  However, I suspect that the MassDOT Highway Operations Center (who controls the messages) takes a "one size fits all" approach and formats messages so they can fit on either overhead or portable CMS panels.  It may also have something to do with the software (i.e. send the programming command to all boards at the same time).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Early Tuesday night, I noticed that the southbound overhead CMS south of Dascomb Road was also activated as well.  Was displaying a message (in two frames) about the left lane closure between Exits 41 and 40.

I also noted that the portable CMS in the media at Dascomb road was still active.  It was displaying a message (in three three-line frames) about Tuesday night's closure of the I-93 southbound tunnel through Boston.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.