News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekt8750

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 19, 2021, 08:34:46 PM
It's interesting that PennDOT was saying that flashing yellow arrows would be used for new and replacement signal installations in lieu of the doghouse signals.  However, it seems, at least in District 6, they are still using doghouse setups for new installations and there are random installations of FYA.  I'm guessing it's because they need to install two new signals (a FYA assembly and a second thru signal), whereas using the doghouse covers both the turning and thru movements.

From what I've seen, the FYAs have been going in at newly built and rebuilt intersections and most of those have been in more sparsely populated suburban to rural areas. I haven't seen any say in the city or more densely populated suburbs as of yet. I'm guessing in those areas, they need to be weaned off the doghouse before showing them something they haven't seen before and cause accidents.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tylert120

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 20, 2021, 09:06:10 AM
It's interesting that PennDOT was saying that flashing yellow arrows would be used for new and replacement signal installations in lieu of the doghouse signals.  However, it seems, at least in District 6, they are still using doghouse setups for new installations and there are random installations of FYA.  I'm guessing it's because they need to install two new signals (a FYA assembly and a second thru signal), whereas using the doghouse covers both the turning and thru movements.

From what I've seen, the FYAs have been going in at newly built and rebuilt intersections and most of those have been in more sparsely populated suburban to rural areas. I haven't seen any say in the city or more densely populated suburbs as of yet. I'm guessing in those areas, they need to be weaned off the doghouse before showing them something they haven't seen before and cause accidents.

It is the complete opposite in Pittsburgh. There are more FYAs going up in city limits than you can count.

MASTERNC

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 20, 2021, 09:06:10 AM

I've actually seen at least one FYA in Philadelphia for right turns (15th & Arch), though they use it completely wrong.  It's a four section signal but the green arrow is never used.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crown Victoria

tylert120

PennDOT unveiled the initial plans to improve the I-376 Banksville interchange just before the western portal of the Fort Pitt Tunnel. The project calls for a new bridge and new slip ramp.

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=5267

jemacedo9

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tylert120 on July 30, 2021, 05:26:06 PM
PennDOT unveiled the initial plans to improve the I-376 Banksville interchange just before the western portal of the Fort Pitt Tunnel. The project calls for a new bridge and new slip ramp.

https://www.penndot.gov/regionaloffices/district-11/pages/details.aspx?newsid=5267

Interesting that they are going to fix this area up finally.  Say good bye to US-19 Truck multiplexing with itself.

Roadsguy

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 30, 2021, 11:49:37 PM
Quote from: tylert120 on July 30, 2021, 05:26:06 PM

Interesting that they are going to fix this area up finally.  Say good bye to US-19 Truck multiplexing with itself.

US 19 Truck will still have the wrong-way concurrency with itself on the loop ramp at Banksville Road where it does today, but it will be much shorter because the ramp will split before merging with I-376. This will also mean that southbound 19 Truck won't be concurrent with eastbound I-376 anymore.

You can still join the Microsoft Teams meeting from the project page, which just lets you play back the recording of the entire meeting, including a 3D rendering of the project. I don't know how long this will stay up, but they said the renderings and other materials will be posted on the page later this next week.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/rZistybHZ4kyX2HK7
What is the purpose of the white place card on the stoplight pole on the right?  SR 3009 that is with its corespondent numbers?

https://goo.gl/maps/jer5GJqptMsLCHhg9
Another one after turning left from the intersection in the first.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

billpa

It's essentially a minor state route along with the PennDOT location reference number assigned to that small section of the road.

Pixel 2

Bitmapped

Quote from: roadman65 on August 17, 2021, 11:40:42 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/rZistybHZ4kyX2HK7
What is the purpose of the white place card on the stoplight pole on the right?  SR 3009 that is with its corespondent numbers?

https://goo.gl/maps/jer5GJqptMsLCHhg9
Another one after turning left from the intersection in the first.

These are standard PennDOT Little White Signs. The numbers below the SR number are the inventory section of the route starting at the sign.

SignBridge

I've just obtained an old copy of the 1958 book How Superhighways Are Made by David C. Cooke. On page 54 there is a photo of a nearly completed interchange between U.S.1 and U.S.13 in Pennsylvania with route markers shown. It is a complex interchange showing a left-hand exit from southbound Route 1 to Route 13 with hills in the background. It appears not to be the interchange outside Morrisville in Bucks County which is a completely different cloverleaf type junction on flat terrain.

I have overflown all of U.S. 1 in Pennsylvania using Google Earth and can't find any interchange that looks like the one in the photo. Does anyone here know where this place is or was, if maybe it was rebuilt at some point and looks different today? Any help will be appreciated.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on August 21, 2021, 09:53:31 PM
I've just obtained an old copy of the 1958 book How Superhighways Are Made by David C. Cooke. On page 54 there is a photo of a nearly completed interchange between U.S.1 and U.S.13 in Pennsylvania with route markers shown. It is a complex interchange showing a left-hand exit from southbound Route 1 to Route 13 with hills in the background. It appears not to be the interchange outside Morrisville in Bucks County which is a completely different cloverleaf type junction on flat terrain.

I have overflown all of U.S. 1 in Pennsylvania using Google Earth and can't find any interchange that looks like the one in the photo. Does anyone here know where this place is or was, if maybe it was rebuilt at some point and looks different today? Any help will be appreciated.

can we see a scan?

SignBridge

Guys on the General Highway Talk board tipped me off. It's the interchange of I-76 and U.S. 1/City Ave. in Philadelphia. Area looks a lot different today than in the sixty year old photo.

I'm not the most computer savvy guy. Can anyone tell me how to copy the photo from my docs folder to this forum?

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on August 22, 2021, 04:44:13 PM
Guys on the General Highway Talk board tipped me off. It's the interchange of I-76 and U.S. 1/City Ave. in Philadelphia. Area looks a lot different today than in the sixty year old photo.

I'm not the most computer savvy guy. Can anyone tell me how to copy the photo from my docs folder to this forum?
You would need to post it somewhere online like Instagram.

74/171FAN

roadman65

I see PennDOT finally saw the light on I-380 at Exit 3 for PA 940!

They finally figured out that "Pocono"  is not a city.  I saw on east coast roads that they placed both "Pocono Pines"  and " Mt. Pocono"  as control cities.  About time!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MASTERNC

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 19, 2021, 03:20:24 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on May 19, 2021, 12:14:43 PM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 19, 2021, 11:52:26 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 19, 2021, 11:17:05 AM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 19, 2021, 09:25:28 AM
Perhaps, but remember PA cannot legally post 60, and I can't really see 65 ever being posted on much of the Schuylkill. Not saying it shouldn't be, but that's not even imaginable.
Although such was a Work-Zone Speed Limit but I did see some Speed Limit 60 signs along I-99's current work zones.  The regular speed limit there is 70.

The above was the first time I've seen a SPEED LIMIT 60 sign in PA.
Recently? Where?

I can also attest to seeing a Work Zone Speed Limit 60 sign recently here in PA. I also don't remember exactly where, but I think it was either I-78 or the PA Turnpike out by Somerset.

There was one on I-79 in Cranberry when they were redoing a pair of bridges.

Just happened to find photo proof on PennDOT's homepage.  Yes, 60 MPH in Pennsylvania is possible.

https://www.facebook.com/PennsylvaniaDepartmentofTransportation/photos/g.2469556183367290/4693095004041273

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.