News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 in Arkansas

Started by AcE_Wolf_287, March 18, 2020, 06:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcE_Wolf_287

This is the Page about I-69 progress in Arkansas!

The only Part I've been seeing lately that's been worked on is the Monticello Bypass, and the progress has been really slow last time I checked

edwaleni

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on March 18, 2020, 06:53:28 PM
This is the Page about I-69 progress in Arkansas!

The only Part I've been seeing lately that's been worked on is the Monticello Bypass, and the progress has been really slow last time I checked

Try this:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3524.0

MikieTimT

17 mile section of Future I-69 in Arkansas starting in 2022

This is a public hearing being done virtually on October 6 regarding the first phase from US-278 to US-65.  It'll have 2 at grade intersections and 2 overpasses and will be a 17 mile long Super-2 with enough right-of-way for the ultimate 4 lane divided finished project.

bwana39

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 09, 2020, 11:23:33 PM
17 mile section of Future I-69 in Arkansas starting in 2022

This is a public hearing being done virtually on October 6 regarding the first phase from US-278 to US-65.  It'll have 2 at grade intersections and 2 overpasses and will be a 17 mile long Super-2 with enough right-of-way for the ultimate 4 lane divided finished project.

Moving very slowly.  Like I have said before, this is needed whether the Great River Bridge ever gets built.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

The Ghostbuster

The funeral march in building Interstate 69 across Arkansas continues. When this new US 278-to-US 65 segment opens, I wonder what designation it will have? An extension of Bypass US 278? A revival of AR 569? Or might it be unnumbered altogether?

Finrod

At least Arkansas is making progress.  I don't expect Mississippi to lift a finger to progress any further on I-69 until funding is secured for the Great River Bridge.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

bwana39

Mississippi wanted it when Trent Lott thought it could be paid for with funds designated for it and not being transferrable.
Now that it has to come out of a less restrictive pot of Federal funds, they would prefer to spend their allocations elsewhere.

Arkansas is building roads in the corridor. What they are building is needed whether I-69 ever comes or not. While they are buying up ROW's for a multi-lane facility, as a whole they are building two-lane roads with  periodic passing lanes. There are a few overpasses but there are more at-grade intersections. From my experience southern Arkansas has some of the least modern highways in the US. I-530 meets he overall status quo in Arkansas: Everything goes either to Little Rock or to WalMart (NWA)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on September 28, 2020, 01:09:08 PM

https://www.kark.com/news/local-news/ardot-to-hold-virtual-meeting-about-interstate-69-construction-between-highways-278-and-65/

ARDOT is holding a virtual meeting on I-69 between Highways 278 and 65 on October 6 from 5:30 until 7 p.m.

Did anyone attend? Comments? I couldn't make it.

ozarkman417

Quote from: edwaleni on October 09, 2020, 09:21:16 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 28, 2020, 01:09:08 PM

https://www.kark.com/news/local-news/ardot-to-hold-virtual-meeting-about-interstate-69-construction-between-highways-278-and-65/

ARDOT is holding a virtual meeting on I-69 between Highways 278 and 65 on October 6 from 5:30 until 7 p.m.

Did anyone attend? Comments? I couldn't make it.
I didn't, but you can still view the meeting materials and submit comments. The only part missed was the 1 hour "live presentation" and Q & A.

sparker

Quote from: bwana39 on September 12, 2020, 03:14:06 PM
Mississippi wanted it when Trent Lott thought it could be paid for with funds designated for it and not being transferrable.
Now that it has to come out of a less restrictive pot of Federal funds, they would prefer to spend their allocations elsewhere.

Arkansas is building roads in the corridor. What they are building is needed whether I-69 ever comes or not. While they are buying up ROW's for a multi-lane facility, as a whole they are building two-lane roads with  periodic passing lanes. There are a few overpasses but there are more at-grade intersections. From my experience southern Arkansas has some of the least modern highways in the US. I-530 meets he overall status quo in Arkansas: Everything goes either to Little Rock or to WalMart (NWA)

The "adjunct" I-69 SIU (#28; the 530 extension) was the "consolation prize" for the failure of the "Dickey Split" I-69 alignment along US 79; it was always the part of the current I-69 configuration to garner regular attention from ADOT and their political handlers; the "trunk" of the corridor would be eked out over decades, while at least the initial lanes of 530 south of Pine Bluff and near Monticello were built in short order.  Everything that can be sold as localized improvement on the I-69 mainline will be built as such:  2 lanes on a 4 ROW with minimal structures -- and as in-place upgrades of existing routes; the Monticello-McGehee US 278 stretch, always somewhat convoluted, is essentially such a project.  The new terrain stuff from Warren southwest to the LA state line will likely be the last to even see planning efforts -- a bit difficult to sell that as anything but an I-69 segment.  My guess:  AR 530's missing section will be built well before anything but the Monticello-McGehee "improvements"; solidly in keeping with AR historic priorities.

US71

Per AHTD via Twitter, Groundbreaking will be  Tuesday December 20th, 11am.at  McGehee , Arkansas.  More details will be posted later.

edwaleni

Did anyone attend this?

DESHA COUNTY | November 22, 2022

Join fellow stakeholders in southeast Arkansas next week for a ceremonial groundbreaking on the next phase of construction for the Interstate 69 Corridor. Members of the Arkansas Highway Commission, ARDOT staff and local leadership will gather at ARDOT's District 2 Maintenance Headquarters Tuesday, November 29, at 11 a.m. (see map).

Designated by the United States Department of Transportation as a Corridor of the Future, this federally recognized highway will be invaluable to future freight movement across the United States.

When complete, Interstate 69 will span over 2,600 miles from Laredo, Texas to Port Huron, Michigan.

NR 22-291

November 22, 2022

US71

msunat97

Quote from: US71 on November 29, 2022, 07:06:35 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on November 29, 2022, 06:29:54 PM
Did anyone attend this?

Postponed until December 20th

Postponed due to the storms that came thru the area.  Agree on the slow progress.  May never see it completed

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on December 01, 2022, 02:20:21 PM
Did anyone attend this?

Postponed due to the storms that came thru the area.  Agree on the slow progress.  May never see it completed

ARDOT has misplaced priorities, but I think that's been discussed ad nauseum.

bwana39

Quote from: US71 on December 01, 2022, 04:13:43 PM
Quote from: msunat97 on December 01, 2022, 02:20:21 PM
Did anyone attend this?

ARDOT has misplaced priorities, but I think that's been discussed ad nauseum.

You have to remember Bob Moore is still alive and the chairman of the Arkansas Highway Commission. . ArDOT has to at least give lip service to his pet project through his hometown. I cannot see it ever being built; especially as projected. The one given is even if it is NEVER upgraded to interstate standards or even four-laned, what they are doing  will make the infrastructure better in these remote counties than it is right now or has even been.

sprjus4

^ That is true, providing a 65 mph super-2 with mostly control of access will be a tremendous improvement to the current roadways. Especially if they end up linking them together to create a long continuous segment.

Won't help I-69 long haul traffic per se, but will be a local / regional improvement.

It will create a "main"  highway for the areas traffic which could help draw some traffic off other roads and limit the need for improvements on those other routes.

Bobby5280

Building out a Super-2, even without controlled access, is going to be better than nothing. Right now the main goal should be securing ROW along the proposed corridor. A simple 2-lane route can get that accomplished.

I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana is a tougher task, even if trying to build it out initially as a Super-2, due to the more hilly territory.

sprjus4

^ Any super 2 should at least be constructed with limited access right of way. There can be at grade intersections, but no private driveways.

Road Hog

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 02, 2022, 12:47:56 PM
Building out a Super-2, even without controlled access, is going to be better than nothing. Right now the main goal should be securing ROW along the proposed corridor. A simple 2-lane route can get that accomplished.

I-49 between Fort Smith and Texarkana is a tougher task, even if trying to build it out initially as a Super-2, due to the more hilly territory.
Only the Foran Gap segment between Y City and Mena is particularly "hilly" and I'd venture to say it's much gentler than most north-south routes through the Ouachitas. But I agree, ROW purchasing is crucial at this point.

Bobby5280

Quote from: sprjus4Any super 2 should at least be constructed with limited access right of way.

That's the idea. The entire point of building out a minimal Super 2 is to secure the future 4-lane freeway's right of way. Even secure the land needed for limited access exits. AR DOT has already done this to some degree with AR-530. They could do the same with future I-69. Just build a 2-lane road along the proposed alignment just to secure the ROW. Then slowly upgrade segments of it to Interstate standards as funding allows.

Quote from: Road HogOnly the Foran Gap segment between Y City and Mena is particularly "hilly" and I'd venture to say it's much gentler than most north-south routes through the Ouachitas. But I agree, ROW purchasing is crucial at this point.

Depending on what AR DOT has planned for I-49 thru the Foran Gap they might end up having to build all four lanes at once, at least in some spots. I imagine they'll have to carve into hillsides a good bit to improve the geometry of curves and grades. If they cut into hillsides they'll have to cut enough for four lanes rather than just two.

MikieTimT

Infographics YouTube video on the Interstate just got posted yesterday.  Of course, most of the comments were about the number! :-D

https://youtu.be/4anVYVJvtBI

Bobby5280

Someone is aiming to be Sir Spam-a-lot. Posting that in one I-69 related thread would have been enough.
:-/

MikieTimT

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 27, 2022, 04:05:38 PM
Someone is aiming to be Sir Spam-a-lot. Posting that in one I-69 related thread would have been enough.
:-/

Sorry, since I-69 spans several regions, I guess one thread per region would have sufficed instead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.