News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN US 31 Kokomo Bypass Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on January 17, 2013, 08:03:59 AM
Quote from: monty on January 16, 2013, 11:02:52 PM
Quote from: mukade on January 16, 2013, 06:17:32 PM
That does not square with what the City of Kokomo says. They say no development will be allowed along the highway for several months. When the moratorium is lifted, strict restrictions will be in place to dictate the kind of development that will be allowed. While you don't want to repeat errors of the 1950s and 1960s, this seems to be too far the other way.

The moratorium is in place to prevent a zoning change. Much of the Markland area west of the new highway was already zoned for business prior to any construction. Thus my reasoning. I agree the city and county have been aggressive to keep land speculation down and to protect established businesses. It will be interesting to see how it all ends up in the long haul.

Because the city annexed the area, the zoning may not be exactly the same as the county had. How it will be controlled is that any request to subdivide the large parcels will be tabled until they are ready. If a large office building or light industrial facility that required no subdivision was proposed, that could be built, but 1) what are the chances of that? and 2) office or light industry is what they really want. Overall, it is very good to have a master plan and prevent something like two big truck stops and another strip club from being built on potentially prime commercial real estate. What seems unrealistic is to think the existing US 31 strip can be fully protected by severely limiting new building at the new highway. For one thing, when a government picks and chooses who can and can't build, corruption usually comes into the picture. I would say they have the right idea, but are taking it a bit too far.

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 16, 2013, 11:45:41 PM
Are the going to be any improvements that will be made on future 931?

Other than resurfacing and the new interchanges, the state is probably done with SR 931. They want the city or county to take it. It will likely end up being something like to the Keystone Pkwy deal where the state gives some amount of money to rebuild it, and the city uses that as their portion of funding for a federal grant project. It would probably lose its highway characteristics and become a boulevard.

Ok so it's going to be 931 only temporarily until they arrive at a deal to give it to the city.

roadman65

I think that they should have taken a lesson from DelDOT with the DE 1 Turnpike and from both NJDOT and PennDOT with I-78.

DE 1 has hardly any interchanges in Dover and only two for Smyrna with no connection at all with DE 6 and DE 300.  Just recently they added a partial interchange with DE 8.

I-78 has only one interchange with Phillipsburg, NJ and that was the original NJ West terminus for I-78 and no new interchanges were built between Exit 3 and the Delaware River including CR 519 at Alpha and Carpentersville Road in Phillipsburg.  Then on the PA side you have only one interchange for both Easton and Bethlehem each.  Allentown only has multiple interchanges because of preexisting PA 309, but if it were built on its originally planned alignment further south, it would have only interchanged with PA 29.  Since 1990 when this freeway stretch opened only one interchange was added and that was with PA 33 that is another freeway.  In this case as well as Delaware, politicians and engineers did that to keep development sprawl down to a minimum. 

Fewer interchanges, a lot less than development and those businesses pre-freeway are still king of their marketing domain.  Only thing is DelDOT building an interchange with DE 8 is showing how fast many can forget the original plan.  INDOT should have considered only four interchanges here: both ends of SR 931, and both exits at each end of US 35's overlap.  That will keep the businesses in Kokomo proper with more of a chance of customers being forced to travel existing US 31 and patronize them and also its other access is via SR 22 right in the middle of it all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mukade

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2013, 12:51:10 PM
Fewer interchanges, a lot less than development and those businesses pre-freeway are still king of their marketing domain.  Only thing is DelDOT building an interchange with DE 8 is showing how fast many can forget the original plan.  INDOT should have considered only four interchanges here: both ends of SR 931, and both exits at each end of US 35's overlap.  That will keep the businesses in Kokomo proper with more of a chance of customers being forced to travel existing US 31 and patronize them and also its other access is via SR 22 right in the middle of it all.

I don't think you want the majority of traffic looking for services staying on old 31. It is inconvenient for motorists and will add a lot of congestion.

The Original plans called for interchanges at SR 26, Boulevard/CR 100S, SR 22/US 35, and US 35 (north end half interchange) plus the tie-ins to existing US 31. Clearly, the SR 26 and Boulevard interchanges are necessary. The latter is to serve Delphi and Chrysler - having long stretches with no interchanges in heavy commercial areas is not good. The prime example in Indiana was (and maybe still is) I-65 and US 30.

So how did Touby Pike get in there? For some reason, the city wanted one there even though it is fairly desolate and close to the northern US 35 half diamond interchange. INDOT told them to select either Boulevard or Touby. There was no consensus, but the timing was such that Mitch Daniels did not want a delay in construction and granted both in the interest getting construction started.

mukade

The following link is for the article on the building moratorium in place along the new US 31 bypass in Kokomo.

U.S. 31 development moratorium extended - Strict regulations for new corridor still a few months away (Kokomo Perspective)

QuoteFor a few more months no businesses will be allowed to build along the new US 31 bypass, but when the moratorium is lifted strict restrictions will be in place to dictate the type of development aht can go along the bypass...

monty

Old US 31 is to be maintained as state highway IN 931 through Kokomo.  It will be re-signed as such when the new route opens.  INDOT wanted to turn the old road over to the city and counties, but relented.  I agree that INDOT may try again to cede the old highway but there is no formal timeline set.

Meanwhile, some work is starting to fire up on the last contracts.  A lot of signage has been erected on the now complete interior segments.  The highway is literally complete except for the end points.  You can see some of the unerected signs just east of the SR 26 diamond.  There had been a plan to open the new route between SR 26 & SR 22 and those signs were erected first but then that idea was nixed because there wasn't really enough potential traffic to justify the opening.
monty

monty

INDOT has opened the new US 35 route at the north end of Kokomo and is cutting out the old alignment west of US 31 as a result of the route being in the way of the SR 931 & US 31 interchange now under construction.
monty

NWI_Irish96

This is not directly related to the Kokomo bypass, but close:

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=99833&information_id=181501&type&syndicate=syndicate

QuoteTIPTON COUNTY, Ind. — The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) today announced plans to build a new U.S. 31 interchange at State Road 28 near the future Chrysler Tipton Transmission Plant.

"We will make Indiana the state that works by supporting economic development through infrastructure improvements,"  Governor Pence said. "The new U.S. 31 and S.R. 28 exit will accommodate increased commuter and truck traffic while advancing ongoing efforts to remove stoplights on the highway between Indianapolis and South Bend."

In late February, Governor Pence and Chrysler Group executives announced plans to invest $162 million in the former Getrag facility at the northeast corner of U.S. 31 and S.R. 28 in Tipton County. The site will assemble nine-speed transmissions for Dodge and Jeep models, creating up to 850 new positions. The nearly 800,000-square-foot site is scheduled to be operational by the end of 2014.

The Indiana Department of Transportation plans to begin construction of the new interchange in 2015 at an estimated cost of $17 million.

"This news portends further growth for this critical economic development area. Our residents will be connected to Hamilton and Howard Counties in a very meaningful and constructive way,"  said Don Havens, Mayor of Tipton.

Indiana is currently upgrading and bypassing congested sections of U.S. 31 near Kokomo, South Bend and Indianapolis. When completed, the projects are expected to remove 32 stoplights from the route, cutting a half hour off travel time.

I wonder if this means you will not longer be able to eat here and get gas?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 14, 2013, 03:46:00 PM

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=99833&information_id=181501&type&syndicate=syndicate

QuoteTIPTON COUNTY, Ind. — The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) today announced plans to build a new U.S. 31 interchange at State Road 28 near the future Chrysler Tipton Transmission Plant.

"We will make Indiana the state that works by supporting economic development through infrastructure improvements,"  Governor Pence said. "The new U.S. 31 and S.R. 28 exit will accommodate increased commuter and truck traffic while advancing ongoing efforts to remove stoplights on the highway between Indianapolis and South Bend."

In late February, Governor Pence and Chrysler Group executives announced plans to invest $162 million in the former Getrag facility at the northeast corner of U.S. 31 and S.R. 28 in Tipton County. The site will assemble nine-speed transmissions for Dodge and Jeep models, creating up to 850 new positions. The nearly 800,000-square-foot site is scheduled to be operational by the end of 2014.

The Indiana Department of Transportation plans to begin construction of the new interchange in 2015 at an estimated cost of $17 million.

"This news portends further growth for this critical economic development area. Our residents will be connected to Hamilton and Howard Counties in a very meaningful and constructive way,"  said Don Havens, Mayor of Tipton.

Indiana is currently upgrading and bypassing congested sections of U.S. 31 near Kokomo, South Bend and Indianapolis. When completed, the projects are expected to remove 32 stoplights from the route, cutting a half hour off travel time.

That's good news

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on March 23, 2013, 09:35:34 AM
INDOT has opened the new US 35 route at the north end of Kokomo and is cutting out the old alignment west of US 31 as a result of the route being in the way of the SR 931 & US 31 interchange now under construction.

Is that also an interchange (US-31 at US-35)? Forgive me I haven't seen the plans for that particular crossing. 

mukade

I would guess this means the railroad tracks directly north would also be bridged.... hopefully.

For the last few years, the "get gas" part of that business has been closed down.

theline

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 14, 2013, 07:16:39 PM
Is that also an interchange (US-31 at US-35)? Forgive me I haven't seen the plans for that particular crossing.

Yes. See the map here: http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/images/MP_US31KokomoAerialMap_2012.JPG. The US 31/35 North exit is the dark blue half-diamond. The "missing" motions are covered by taking the old 31 (931) north from the new 35.

Quote from: mukade on May 14, 2013, 07:42:29 PM
I would guess this means the railroad tracks directly north would also be bridged.... hopefully.

Yes to you too, mukade. The new freeway will span 3 railroads, the Central Railroad of Indianapolis (twice) and the Norfolk Southern.

Good news about the SR 28 interchange, though lacking specifics on timetable and funding. I suppose that will follow in due course.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on May 14, 2013, 07:42:29 PM
For the last few years, the "get gas" part of that business has been closed down.

So they no longer serve spicy food?  :biggrin:

tvketchum

QuoteTIPTON COUNTY, Ind. – The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) today announced plans to build a new U.S. 31 interchange at State Road 28 near the future Chrysler Tipton Transmission Plant.

"We will make Indiana the state that works by supporting economic development through infrastructure improvements,” Governor Pence said. "The new U.S. 31 and S.R. 28 exit will accommodate increased commuter and truck traffic while advancing ongoing efforts to remove stoplights on the highway between Indianapolis and South Bend.”

"This news portends further growth for this critical economic development area. Our residents will be connected to Hamilton and Howard Counties in a very meaningful and constructive way,” said Don Havens, Mayor of Tipton.

What is wrong here- The plant opens in 2014, and the interchange construction begins in 2015? Why not get this done BEFORE the plant opens up and eliminate bottlenecking the new facility for a year?

silverback1065

The state is too obsessed with getting 69 done to care that much about that interchange.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 28, 2013, 05:58:15 PM
The state is too obsessed with getting 69 done to care that much about that interchange.

Giggity.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

vtk

The state is too obsessed ... to care that much about ....

That would make sense if the state had a singular consciousness.  I'm sure some state employees see the problem and would like to do something about it, but of course funding is limited.  There's a difference between insufficient funds and insufficient attention.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

monty

Actually the governor and IDOT commissioner are quite committed to improving US 31 to an interstate standard from Indy to South Bend.  This is another piece that popped up when Chrysler made their announcement formal just a few months ago.  Money is tight. To get this going by 2015 is an impressive move these days.
monty

thefro

Quote from: monty on May 28, 2013, 09:24:48 PM
Actually the governor and IDOT commissioner are quite committed to improving US 31 to an interstate standard from Indy to South Bend.  This is another piece that popped up when Chrysler made their announcement formal just a few months ago.  Money is tight. To get this going by 2015 is an impressive move these days.

Agreed... considering there's some planning that would have to go into this (it's not an empty interchange) plus getting the necessary budget, starting construction in 2015 is pretty quick.

They can always change the timing of the stop light in the interim if it ends up being a bottleneck.

silverback1065

Quote from: vtk on May 28, 2013, 07:48:09 PM

That would make sense if the state had a singular consciousness.  I'm sure some state employees see the problem and would like to do something about it, but of course funding is limited.  There's a difference between insufficient funds and insufficient attention.

That's basically what I was getting at, just said it in the wrong way.  After this interchange won't the traffic light count go down to 5?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 29, 2013, 10:11:54 AM

That's basically what I was getting at, just said it in the wrong way.  After this interchange won't the traffic light count go down to 5?

I think so.

Miami County CR 100 N
Miami County BUS US 31 S
Miami County SR 218 W
Miami County SR 18
Tipton County Division Rd

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 29, 2013, 10:33:37 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 29, 2013, 10:11:54 AM

I think so.

Miami County CR 100 N
Miami County BUS US 31 S
Miami County SR 218 W
Miami County SR 18
Tipton County Division Rd

Presumably, there will still be six - you forgot 236th Street in Hamilton County. OTOH, I think they are extending CR 560W from half a mile north of SR 28 to CR 100S. That and the new interchange at SR 28 may mean the end of the light at Division Road.

Shown below are current pics from Kokomo.

Looking north from CR 50N a half mile north of SR 22 interchange

Looking south from CR 50N at the SR 22 exit sign

Looking north from Touby Pike where things are going slowly. In the distance, the freeway is already paved despite that project having started months after the Touby Pike interchange project shown in the foreground

roadman65

Would it not be better to center the SR 22 shield?  Even better yet place the two shields side by side and have the "SOUTH" above the US 35 shield or being this is actual US 35 trailblazing the direction is not even needed at all, however I can live with the latter as it is a signature feature of the Hoosier State to have route numbers on different lines on guide signs and in a way neat. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

monty

"I think they are extending CR 560W from half a mile north of SR 28 to CR 100S."
Yes, Tipton County plans to extend CR 560W from its current terminus (shortly beyond the new Chrysler plant) about a half mile further north, crossing the NS RR to connect with the existing CR 550W at CR 100S in 2014. This will allow Chrysler traffic to travel either north to Division Road or south to SR 28. 
monty

Revive 755

[semi sarcastic]And if INDOT is run like some other DOT's, the employees that see the problem are told to be quiet and/or get lost, not try and fix it.[/semi sarcastic]

mukade

U.S. 31 has been Kokomo's commercial artery for half a century, going from a rural highway to a billboard-strewn retail center.

To the east, a new bypass is nearing completion, a road that will either supplant or compliment the old 31, depending on key decisions facing local officials.

One of the biggest decisions will be made in concert with the Indiana Department of Transportation, where state officials are hoping to "relinquish"  the old 31, giving it to the city of Kokomo in perpetuity...

Bypass or boulevard? Decisions looming on the old 31 corridor (Kokomo Tribune)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.