News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: jwolfer on December 25, 2015, 06:38:08 PM
Saw this today. Had to drive out of Clay County Florida to buy beer.. Can't sell alcohol on Jesus' birthday.

You can't buy alcohol anywhere in Arkansas on Christmas Day

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

Quote from: US71 on December 25, 2015, 06:55:19 PM
Saw this today. Had to drive out of Clay County Florida to buy beer.. Can't sell alcohol on Jesus' birthday.

We voted a few years ago to allow Sunday sales like every other day but I guess the Christmas restrictions is a different law

cl94

Quote from: jwolfer on December 25, 2015, 07:00:22 PM

We voted a few years ago to allow Sunday sales like every other day but I guess the Christmas restrictions is a different law

In New York, you can buy anything that doesn't have to be bought at a liquor store on Christmas, but the bigger issue is finding a place that is open. No restrictions on sale for sales at a restaurant/bar unless it falls on a Sunday. Given that the state has quite the notable non-Christian population, I'm shocked such a law is still on the books.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jwolfer

Quote from: cl94 on December 25, 2015, 10:18:54 PM

In New York, you can buy anything that doesn't have to be bought at a liquor store on Christmas, but the bigger issue is finding a place that is open. No restrictions on sale for sales at a restaurant/bar unless it falls on a Sunday. Given that the state has quite the notable non-Christian population, I'm shocked such a law is still on the books.
New York state was a hot bed of temperance activity.

I always thought it odd that in the bible belt you can buy beer at 7-11 but in NJ you have to got to liquor store

cl94

Quote from: jwolfer on December 25, 2015, 10:41:27 PM

I always thought it odd that in the bible belt you can buy beer at 7-11 but in NJ you have to got to liquor store

A few counties are trying to get rid of the Sunday law. It rose to prominence in Western New York when the Bills played a game in London and the state wouldn't let bars open for the game.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jwolfer

Quote from: cl94 on December 25, 2015, 10:48:40 PM

A few counties are trying to get rid of the Sunday law. It rose to prominence in Western New York when the Bills played a game in London and the state wouldn't let bars open for the game.
Wow even in Jacksonville bible belt paradise bars are open on Sunday like any other day

cl94

Quote from: jwolfer on December 25, 2015, 10:50:23 PM
Quote from: cl94 on December 25, 2015, 10:48:40 PM

Wow even in Jacksonville bible belt paradise bars are open on Sunday like any other day

Yep. Alcohol can't be served before noon on Sunday. Can sell it for off-site use at 8.

The Nature Boy

Not all of the Bible Belt. In the Carolinas and Virginia, you can't.

freebrickproductions

In parts of Alabama, you can't sell alcohol at all, such as Marshall County and Hartselle, though the counties that are dry allow individual cities and towns to decided if they want to become wet, such as Guntersville and Albertville in Marshall County.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

riiga

Here, anything stronger than 3.5 % ABV is restriced to the government-owned stores, which are typically open
Mo-Fr: 10-19
Sa: 10-15
Su: Closed

They're also closed on holidays, this Christmas for example they're closed from the 24th to the 26th + the 27th since it's a Sunday. You have to plan ahead here...

Brandon

In Illinois it varies by municipality.  You can buy alcohol at the local gas station, provided that it has a liquor license.  Otherwise, most other places one would typically buy alcohol (grocers, liquor stores) are closed Christmas Day.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 25, 2015, 11:56:27 PM

What the hell are you talking about?  They sell beer in nearly every gas station and liquor store in VA & the Carolinas.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2015, 09:43:22 AM

What the hell are you talking about?  They sell beer in nearly every gas station and liquor store in VA & the Carolinas.

I bought beer in a CVS (which is sort of ironic if you think about it) when I went to Virginia a few months ago. Beer is practically everywhere in Virginia. The only place I didn't see it was at fast food establishments.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

I meant they sell beer in nearly every gas station and convenience store in VA & the Carolinas.  But as Zeffy pointed out, it's very easy to find. 

jwolfer

Quote from: Zeffy on December 26, 2015, 09:52:14 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2015, 09:43:22 AM

I bought beer in a CVS (which is sort of ironic if you think about it) when I went to Virginia a few months ago. Beer is practically everywhere in Virginia. The only place I didn't see it was at fast food establishments.
It varies by County and city.. Florida doesn't have many dry counties left

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has a no Sunday sales law regarding liquor stores (although they did ease it a bit last year allowing Sunday growler sales). The state legislators try and fail every year to change this law; interestingly, the main opposition is no longer based on religious concerns but rather from liquor store owners who are not interested in opening on Sundays but fear a bill allowing Sunday sales would force them to have to be open in order to remain competitive. Which I don't really buy, but their opposition is still strong enough to keep Sunday sales off the books, so what do I know.

You can still buy 3.2 beer in grocery stores and gas stations on Sundays.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jeffandnicole

NJ is all home rule by municipality, and can vary from dry to 24 hour sales. One of the few hard and fast statewide rules is liquor can only be sold between 9am & 10pm. 

Unlike what is normally assumed, alcohol can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores, but any one person or corporation can own 2 liquor licenses, so it's pretty rare liquor will be found within those types of stores. 

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2015, 09:45:39 PM
NJ is all home rule by municipality, and can vary from dry to 24 hour sales. One of the few hard and fast statewide rules is liquor can only be sold between 9am & 10pm. 

Unlike what is normally assumed, alcohol can be sold in supermarkets and convenience stores, but any one person or corporation can own 2 liquor licenses, so it's pretty rare liquor will be found within those types of stores.
Thinking back there was a couple mom and pop grocery stores with liquor sales.  I know liquor licences are limited and at a premium in New Jersey.

CNGL-Leudimin

What has to do all this discusion about alcohol with erroneous road signs? :?

Anyway, it shocks me all those regulations on alcohol, coming from a country that apart from the age limit and a ban to sell it on grocery stores after 10 p.m. doesn't have that much.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Quote from: formulanone on December 22, 2015, 09:52:27 AM
This should probably have a Florida State Road 818 sign, since that's where I'm facing, and there's no I-95 west.

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 24, 2015, 04:12:22 PM
You know what's extra weird?  Google Street View shows the same error, but with the shields in a different order...
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.063291,-80.1416079,3a,15y,317.58h,85.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBWmmLPYCr2s8CgqeZsK0Lg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Someone said..."fix that sign!" And so they did.  :-/

I do see a bit more of the "continuing reassurance" signage in Florida, but it's still rather uncommon to find in advance of an intersection. Usually, letting a motorist know that they can find the nearest Interstate highway is more common, but what we have here is a mix-up of both. Why the shields didn't just go up 2x2 is odd, although there's prior signage for I-95, I-595, and US 1 just aft of this photo, so the Interstate sign stands out as extraneous, at least to me.

Buck87

Here's one in Marion, Indiana

Jovet

Quote from: Buck87 on December 30, 2015, 02:45:15 PM
Here's one in Marion, Indiana
(WarningDiamond:"BLINDING RAILROAD")
That's a great one.  I have to put that into one of my train simulation games.

I mean, I know train headlights can be pretty bright, especially at night, but... sheesh....   :D
Joseph
[Jovet]

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jakeroot

Pretty sure this is an error (Lynnwood, WA). The 405 ends here, for what it's worth, but there's a "BEGIN" plaque anyways, despite the "END" plaque just above the shield. WA-525 begins at this point. If the "BEGIN" plaque was black on white, I could make the case that the 525 shield just fell off, but it's blue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.