News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

Check out what Kniwt dug up:

Introducing US highway 200:

Erroneous I-90 shield. Supposed be the green BL-90 shield.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

Big John

Quote from: Truvelo on July 23, 2013, 08:21:00 PM
How about this one.

That one is much easier to fix.  It was just installed upside-down.

Truvelo

It makes you wonder how such simple mistakes can happen and whether it will be rectified.
Speed limits limit life

CentralCAroadgeek

"State" Highway 101?

Found on Avila Beach Road in San Luis Obispo.

NE2

It's a state highway numbered US 101. Nothing to see here.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Big John

Or a sign telling you to "state 'Highway 101' "  :spin:  :)

Quillz

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 28, 2013, 04:35:45 PM
"State" Highway 101?

That's not technically incorrect. California, and other states, technically maintain all numbered highways, regardless of class, as "State Routes." I-5 is State Route 5, for example, so saying "State Route 101" or "State Highway 101" is not wrong.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: Quillz on July 28, 2013, 06:57:55 PM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 28, 2013, 04:35:45 PM
"State" Highway 101?

That's not technically incorrect. California, and other states, technically maintain all numbered highways, regardless of class, as "State Routes." I-5 is State Route 5, for example, so saying "State Route 101" or "State Highway 101" is not wrong.
I am aware of that, but I'm sure it'd be much less confusing to some if it were simply "TO HWY 101."

Brandon

Capitalization helps.

Been trying to get this one for months.  Finally got a photo of it today.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Watch out. Some cockbag will capitalize it KanKaKee.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on July 28, 2013, 08:40:30 PM
Capitalization helps.

If I'm not mistaken, that's new from when I was at Joliet last year, and it replaced button copy. Is that northbound or southbound?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on July 29, 2013, 01:27:01 PM
Capitalization helps.

{image}

If I'm not mistaken, that's new from when I was at Joliet last year, and it replaced button copy. Is that northbound or southbound?

Southbound.  All of the signs have been replaced with Clearview.  If that's the case, then IDOT District 1 has been letting this one sit there for over a year with the error.  All of the other signs have a capital "K".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thenetwork

Capitalization helps.

Ahhhhh... So THAT'S where k.d. lang is from!!!  :bigass:

hbelkins

^^^^

And e.e. cummings.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2013, 01:11:56 PM
^^^^

And e e cummings
FTFY. (I hate the number of FTFY posts I've done lately, but come on, this one's obvious)

route56

http://goo.gl/maps/Lc4F3

Follow this sign to get to Olathe, and you'll wind up stuck on the railroad tracks.... or in the Kansas River.

EDIT: Got a pic of the sign.

47316 by richiekennedy56, on Flickr
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Scott5114

Quote from: Steve on July 30, 2013, 07:49:05 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2013, 01:11:56 PM
^^^^

And e e cummings
FTFY. (I hate the number of FTFY posts I've done lately, but come on, this one's obvious)

E.E. Cummings actually preferred his name to be written with standard capitalization and punctuation, and usually signed his name as such. It was publishers that wrote it as e e cummings on covers to echo his usual style.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jim

An ongoing annoyance for me is when a decimal point is combined with a cents symbol, such as what I saw all over the western part of the Indiana Toll Road earlier this summer.  One example:

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

agentsteel53

lemme get out my hacksaw and start whaling away on ol' Abe.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

Maybe they believe that people may perceive the decimals as something else and not the amount of the toll you pay as you pass by the toll gates. I mean, if they are less than $1, just do $0.30 for the IPass and EZPass lanes and $0.70 for the cash lanes. How hard is that? Maybe it's because InDOT, or whoever this is, is mathematically challenged? I mean, that could very well be the case here.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Jim

In my experience, it's almost always someone who's mathematically challenged.  But you'd think that somewhere along the way, someone would have told the people who run the Indiana Toll Road that this just isn't right.  I'll give them some credit, though: they were consistently incorrect in their usage on every sign I saw indicating a toll under $1.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

1995hoo

At least somebody still knows what the cent sign is. The Route 417 partial beltway around Orlando has signs reading "PAY TOLL $.50" at various exit ramps on the southern portion (off the top of my head I don't remember whether that's OOCEA's or the Turnpike's bailiwick). Aside from the fact that "$0.50" is technically the correct form, I've always wondered why they couldn't just say "PAY TOLL 50¢." It's easier to read and, for the unobservant driver, it's clearer what it means because the decimal point isn't an issue. You'd have to be pretty darn stupid to think the ramp toll is a fifty-dollar toll, but I wouldn't put it past some of the people out there!

The sign in Jim's picture looks like it uses a Clearview cent sign, incidentally (not that I'd ever seen one before!).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TEG24601

Quote from: Jim on August 01, 2013, 04:30:26 PM
An ongoing annoyance for me is when a decimal point is combined with a cents symbol, such as what I saw all over the western part of the Indiana Toll Road earlier this summer.

This reminds me of the story relating to data roaming with Verizon Wireless, where they quoted the rates at 0.002¢/KB, but charged $0.002/KB.  Apparently no one at Verizon Wireless could be made to understand that those two values are not equal.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.