News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mefailenglish

Another (business) US route downgrade...

Eth

Where is that? If that's actually Business US 1, I'd expect a state route to be posted with it. A standalone Business GA 1 is entirely plausible, though, as many Georgia cities bypassed by US routes have only a business state route without the corresponding US route (which would be US 27 in this case).

mefailenglish

Quote from: Eth on May 24, 2014, 11:28:06 AM
Where is that? If that's actually Business US 1, I'd expect a state route to be posted with it. A standalone Business GA 1 is entirely plausible, though, as many Georgia cities bypassed by US routes have only a business state route without the corresponding US route (which would be US 27 in this case).
Waycross GA, a bit north of US 84.  Definitely supposed to be a US 1.

New to Seattle

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but I don't have the patience to find it in 113 pages: I had the good fortune to be driving through Easthampton, MA, in 2005 when I saw these signs:

(Photo: Boston Globe)

Astute readers may note that these signs do not actually conform to the standard MA shield design. I did quite a double-take when I saw a map of my home state on the signage there.

Apparently the contractors looked at some manual that just had a sample of a state sign, and because Alabama is first alphabetically, that's the one they used. And for some reason, the contractors didn't think anything was odd about it. I mean, it's not like they used Kansas or Oregon or New York or even Michigan with its block "M"; it's hard to associate that shield with anything else but a map of Alabama.

Alas, they fixed it after about a week.

mrsman

Quote from: getemngo on May 11, 2014, 02:44:51 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 11, 2014, 02:23:06 PM
Quote from: Eth on May 10, 2014, 04:21:35 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on May 10, 2014, 02:59:01 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 10, 2014, 02:56:46 PM
And worse - the drug free school zone sign?

That's a New Jersey standard in most towns and cities from what I can tell. My town has them.

As far as I'm aware it's a national standard. They're all over the place in Georgia and look exactly like that one.

The ones we have here are black on yellow and in a more legible font.

In Michigan, I nearly always see this one:

...except it's in Helvetica and has a blank line at the bottom to put the district's name. (My district had a 17 letter hyphenated name and kept it blank.)

But the blue and white sign is apparently widespread enough that you can buy it on a hat, button, or shirt.

I don't like this sign.  What safety related purpose does it have?  Every road sign should have a purpose of informing a driver or other road user of a hazard or a destination or some kind of traffic condition.  Any extraneous sign only serves to divert the driver's attention from the road.

Drugs are (generally) illegal everywhere.  Why should there be a sign saying that you're entering a drug free school zone.  The simple pentagon shaped school zone signs are the only signs that are needed.

1995hoo

I think in Virginia there is a steeper penalty if you are caught with drugs in a school zone. I've never really paid close attention, though, because it's not something that affects me!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Kentucky doesn't use the drug-free school zone signs, but it does enhance penalties for trafficking within 1,000 yards of a school.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 25, 2014, 11:24:48 AM
I think in Virginia there is a steeper penalty if you are caught with drugs in a school zone. I've never really paid close attention, though, because it's not something that affects me!
Aren't you an attorney though?  Couldn't you have a client whom this would have an effect on, or do you not do criminal defense?

NJ has stiffer penalties for both posession and sale of drugs in a school zone.  The blue on white with ugly font signs are also used to mark the boundaries of said zone.

jakeroot

I thought WashDOT was better than this:

txstateends

How about a yellow speed limit sign I just found, but it's not the advisory style with a diamond, it's a speed limit that should be white, oh and, warning, for those not into arialyadayadaesk--you've been warned.

http://goo.gl/maps/zWEUD

from Cherokee Co., in east TX.  Most speed limits they're putting up are white, but have the arialyadayadaesk font on them.  And they're too small.  And most are tooooooo low to the ground.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

1995hoo

Quote from: signalman on May 26, 2014, 04:31:39 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 25, 2014, 11:24:48 AM
Aren't you an attorney though?  Couldn't you have a client whom this would have an effect on, or do you not do criminal defense?

The latter. I don't do any criminal work.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Quote from: jake on May 26, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

I actually wouldn't mind that style of ordinal superscript if it were done that way consistently.  Less appealing is the white border on the yellow panel, and the arrangement of elements (particularly the arrow) in the green area.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mefailenglish

These are scattered all over Port Clinton OH.  Though I like the red, they lead the way to OH 53, not US 53.

Scott5114

Picking on construction signs always feels like cheating, but...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on May 26, 2014, 06:06:35 PM

I actually wouldn't mind that style of ordinal superscript if it were done that way consistently.  Less appealing is the white border on the yellow panel, and the arrangement of elements (particularly the arrow) in the green area.

1) I didn't notice the superscript. Interesting though.
2) The white border around the exit only tab was the erroneous part that I was going after. I was hoping someone would spot it. I've driven past the sign hundreds of times w/o noticing.
3) At the point where an exit only begins to gore away from the mainlines, WSDOT's standard is to place a free-flowing arrow in the green area, and leave the exit tab with just "exit only", and I find it incredibly annoying. And they don't seem to be interested in doing away with it, either; many of the new signs around the I-5/WA-16 interchange were just replaced and they follow this style.

roadfro

Quote from: jake on May 26, 2014, 10:31:38 PM
Quote from: vtk on May 26, 2014, 06:06:35 PM

1) I didn't notice the superscript. Interesting though.
2) The white border around the exit only tab was the erroneous part that I was going after. I was hoping someone would spot it. I've driven past the sign hundreds of times w/o noticing.
3) At the point where an exit only begins to gore away from the mainlines, WSDOT's standard is to place a free-flowing arrow in the green area, and leave the exit tab with just "exit only", and I find it incredibly annoying. And they don't seem to be interested in doing away with it, either; many of the new signs around the I-5/WA-16 interchange were just replaced and they follow this style.

This sign seems to have more design issues than actual errors.

The white border around the yellow exit only field is an issue. It violates the rule of tincture, as it's light next to light–it should be black.

The other issue, at least according to the 2009 MUTCD, is that exit arrow. I understand putting the arrow in random place as a potential way to save on sign panel area, but it makes more sense to me to have the arrow position somewhat consistent. And by the new standard, the exit arrow on an exit direction sign has to be black on yellow in the exit only field at the bottom of the sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jbnv

The mileage sign on I-10 just past exit 48 indicates "Lafayette 58." That would put Lafayette about 6 miles past the actual city limit.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

PHLBOS

While it's not uncommon for state agencies/DOTs to use their own shields or standards when signing for routes (mainly interchange signage) in adjacent states (near the borders); if one state uses their name (or even initials) as part of their state route shield spec, such application can be erroneous.

BGS for CT Exit 93 along I-95 South located in RI, note the R.I. initials on the state shields representing Connecticut routes 216 & 184
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2014, 11:07:56 AM
While it's not uncommon for state agencies/DOTs to use their own shields or standards when signing for routes (mainly interchange signage) in adjacent states (near the borders); if one state uses their name (or even initials) as part of their state route shield spec, such application can be erroneous.

BGS for CT Exit 93 along I-95 South located in RI, note the R.I. initials on the state shields representing Connecticut routes 216 & 184

Luckily, that sort of thing could be fixed with two small slivers of white reflective material.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on May 28, 2014, 11:19:15 AMLuckily, that sort of thing could be fixed with two small slivers of white reflective material.
Agreed, but will they (RIDOT)?  :hmmm:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kurumi

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 28, 2014, 11:07:56 AM

Looks better than the "Phase III" sign across the state line in CT.

If CT were still making signs that way, I would advocate having RIDOT take over. Fortunately, things have improved, as in this example from Norwalk: https://www.flickr.com/photos/therealkurumi/7769280264/
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

gilpdawg

US and IN shields are switched, besides the fact the sign looks jacked up anyway.

LG-D800

PurdueBill

Quote from: gilpdawg on June 01, 2014, 07:55:10 PM
US and IN shields are switched, besides the fact the sign looks jacked up anyway.

LG-D800

What IN shield?  :P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.