News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MillTheRoadgeek

I can't take a picture, and Google Street View does not display it, but New Braddock Road (VA 7783) approaching Centreville Road (VA 28) has a sign posting directions to go on 28 on a US Route shield. It replaced a faded correct sign which can be seen on GSV (the incorrect one was put in sometime in fall 2012).

roadman65

Quote from: roadman65 on July 14, 2014, 01:07:12 PM

Both attractions are at Exit 75A, yet this message has been there longer than I have lived in Florida.  It has been copied a few times over and still it keeps informing motorists with each new sign that the popular water park is at the Sand Lake Road exit.

I do not think that the first photo was done deliberately, as this second one did get it right.  If it were that FDOT wanted two exits on purpose the first sign would show the both exit numbers.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 09, 2014, 12:22:53 AM
ALDOT accidentally left off some words on the signs for the roads along I-565 in Huntsville, AL. They are both at the same exit.
The first one is at the Old Madison Pike overpass where they left off the word "Old". Just as a reference, Madison Pike begins one you reach the Madison city limit a little bit to the west.
Here it is on streetview.
The next one is over at the Bob Wallace Avenue/Sparkman Drive overpass. ALDOT managed to leave off the word "Bob" so they ended up giving the street the wrong name. This could be potentially confusing for anyone who doesn't live in the Huntsville area. Fortunately, the exit signs have the proper name. I also have a photo of this sign laying around on my external hard drive somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post it.
Here it is on streetview.
Here are some photos of both of them that I got today:

Old Madison Pike by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Sparkman Drive/Bob Wallace Drive by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

The left arrow for Essen Lane should also be EXIT ONLY as it branches from another lane that is exclusive for the next following exit.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Revive 755

Here's a sign in Huntley, IL, giving directions to "RT 62":  Streetview

Problem is IL 62 ends several miles to the east at IL 31 in Algonquin, while unnumbered Algonquin Road continues west as McHenry County A48.

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2014, 07:08:37 PM

The left arrow for Essen Lane should also be EXIT ONLY as it branches from another lane that is exclusive for the next following exit.

That one seems to be tricky--if the gantry were further along, at the gore, two EXIT ONLY arrows would be OK.  Where the sign is, after striping has separated that lane from the rightmost thru lane, both ramp lanes could be EXIT ONLY but I thought that treatment belonged at the gore point more than this far ahead of it.  Seems like having the sign bridge closer to the gore would have solved that issue.  Then both arrows could have been black on yellow as they should be.

I'm kinda shocked that they put regular numerals in the shields, considering the other disastrous Clearview that Louisiana has become famous for.  the EXIT ONLY legends could lose it for one thing...

jbnv

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 19, 2014, 10:59:38 PM
I'm kinda shocked that they put regular numerals in the shields, considering the other disastrous Clearview that Louisiana has become famous for.

Proper numerals are the rule in newer signs in Louisiana; the Clearview numbers are the exception. Looks like someone notified DOTD about the error, and they fixed it. Why is that shocking?

(Also, as someone who actually lives in Louisiana and drives under these signs often, I'm generally pleased with our use of Clearview.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bing101

How About I-80 in Vallejo the CA-37 exit is still signed Marine World Parkway even though that parkway has not existed since 2005.
Better yet CA-37 Parkway was renamed James Capoot Memorial Highway in 2014.

PurdueBill

Quote from: jbnv on July 21, 2014, 12:43:42 PM
I'm kinda shocked that they put regular numerals in the shields, considering the other disastrous Clearview that Louisiana has become famous for.

Proper numerals are the rule in newer signs in Louisiana; the Clearview numbers are the exception. Looks like someone notified DOTD about the error, and they fixed it. Why is that shocking?

(Also, as someone who actually lives in Louisiana and drives under these signs often, I'm generally pleased with our use of Clearview.)

Living in Ohio where I know misapplied Clearview has been pointed out and ignored on even new signage, it's pleasantly shocking to see someone out there correct such an error.  I've become completely used to seeing it done wrong and it's quite a change to see something changed for the better!  :D

MillTheRoadgeek

Near an intersection with Chapel Road (which leads to VA 123), Wolf Run Shoals Road has an erroneous 123 sign where that route is inside a secondary-route circle.

Mapmikey

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on July 21, 2014, 05:59:44 PM
Near an intersection with Chapel Road (which leads to VA 123), Wolf Run Shoals Road has an erroneous 123 sign where that route is inside a secondary-route circle.

This one goes back about 15 years...

Mapmikey

Lancaster6

Hmm....something seems awry here. This is up in Branchville, NJ.

PHLBOS

A couple more from the MA 16/107 interchange at the Revere/Chelsea border:

While this one looks old in style & appearance, it's very well newer than 1971 (when MA 1A became MA 16); likely a match-in-kind replacement.

This one is definitely a recent replacement of an older MDC-spec'd LGS that simply read 107 CHELSEA NEXT RIGHT

For those that don't know, MA 107's southern terminus is at the MA 16 interchange while the road itself continues southward as Broadway.  Whether the current and previous MDC postings of southbound Broadway as MA 107 South were flat out erroneous or obsolete (did the route extend south at one time?) is not fully known.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CentralCAroadgeek

Here's one from Klamath Falls, Oregon. These are supposed to be state highways instead.

(I have also noticed several in the downtown area and, after some searching on this forum, around the rest of the city)

Takumi

I saw some VA 106 and 156 ovals on a posted detour for them on VA 10 a few nights ago.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on July 27, 2014, 12:12:40 AM
I saw some VA 106 and 156 ovals on a posted detour for them on VA 10 a few nights ago.

Yeah I have been meaning to take a photo of those atrocious shields.  I drive that way every day now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rickmastfan67

Cranberry Twp put up some new street blades back in 2012 along PA-228.  Problem is, they think it's a US route....  Maybe that's how the US-228 shield got installed last year.... (mentioned several post back by me as well)
http://goo.gl/maps/uWqCO

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 27, 2014, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: Takumi on July 27, 2014, 12:12:40 AM

Yeah I have been meaning to take a photo of those atrocious shields.  I drive that way every day now.

I'm going to have to wait until next week though.  The shields were covered up at some point after the Benjamin Harrison Bridge was reopened.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jeffandnicole

Variable Message Signs announcing New Jersey's Mover (???) Over for Emergency Vehicles (The message was a broadcast message over most of the state's VMS signs.  Of the 4 or so I passed by, they all had this error)

hbelkins

"Her" (or "'er") for "it" is common usage in these parts.

Instead of "move it to the shoulder" people will say, "move her" or "move'er."

Maybe it was intentionally incorrect, like the Boston slang that got so much attention.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Certainly back in the days of full-service gas (which still annoyingly persists in New Jersey) people routinely said "fill 'er up."

This looks more like a simple typo, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2014, 01:54:02 PM
Certainly back in the days of full-service gas (which still annoyingly persists in New Jersey)

There's no shortage of it in Mass., and it's fine with me, since those that stick to it include all the very cheapest of stations around me. 

pctech

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2014, 07:08:37 PM

That one seems to be tricky--if the gantry were further along, at the gore, two EXIT ONLY arrows would be OK.  Where the sign is, after striping has separated that lane from the rightmost thru lane, both ramp lanes could be EXIT ONLY but I thought that treatment belonged at the gore point more than this far ahead of it.  Seems like having the sign bridge closer to the gore would have solved that issue.  Then both arrows could have been black on yellow as they should be.

I'm kinda shocked that they put regular numerals in the shields, considering the other disastrous Clearview that Louisiana has become famous for.  the EXIT ONLY legends could lose it for one thing...
I live a short distance from here. After striping, the 2nd lane from the shoulder is an option lane. (Exit 160 or I-12 East) It looked at little weird the first time that I saw it too. I think that DODT wanted ample warning that the lane would became an exit only for east I-12.

hotdogPi

(I also mentioned this sign in the "Massachusetts" thread)

I'm not sure if it's still here, but there is a VMS on I-93 southbound in Massachusetts, about 30 feet past the "Exit 42 ➚" sign. It has duplicated letters in the top row!

(probably not exact, but it's close)

NIGHHT
WORK
AHEAD

MILLLED
SURFACE

M'CYCCLE
USE
CAUTION

If it's still there, can anyone get a picture?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.