News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NJ to NC roadtrip report 06/13/2009

Started by NJRoadfan, June 14, 2009, 04:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Route taken: GSP South, US-1 South, I-95 South, I-495 South (DE), I-95 South (with DE toll bypass), I-495 West (outer loop), GW Parkway, I-395 South, I-95 South, I-295 South, VA-10 West, I-95 South, I-85 South, US-1 South, NC-55 East

Trip Notes:

NJ:
-The US-1 widening and reconstruction in Edison is mostly done. Just some final touchup work. Its nice having three through lanes all the way to I-287 now.

-Looks like they reconfigured the US-1/I-95/295 interchange on US-1 south to have separate exits as opposed to a C/D road.

PA:
-Never realized I-95 is signed 55mph throughout the entire state. Nothing interesting to report otherwise

DE:
-There is a jughandle at Chestnut Hill Rd. and DE-896. Never realized that.

MD:
- Construction of the HOT lanes north of Baltimore is progressing to the point that traffic at the I-695 interchange will all be exiting from the right in the next week. The rebuilt 95/895 interchange will open soon too.

-The Capital Beltway west of I-95 is much older then the eastern half. A lot of curves and tight interchanges. Also noticed the odd choice of "Northern Virginia" as a control city. Why not Tyson's Corner like VA signs?

VA:
-The GW Parkway wasn't all that exciting, but scenic. There is quite a bit of construction going on near the I-395 interchange.

-Is there any way to access the HOV lanes on I-395 from the Pentagon area? Didn't see any obvious crossovers from the GW Parkway.

-VA-10 is a nice little shortcut to I-95 from I-295, only 4 lights and its 4 lane divided.

-I-85 is a much nicer drive then I-95 through southern VA. A lot less stress and hardly any traffic (and no Emporia speedtrap).

NC:
- I noticed this back in December, but I-85 has finally been repaved in Warren and Vance counties, that old concrete was pretty rough.

-US-1 overall is a decent ride until Wake Forest. Then one gets stuck in mid-day Saturday traffic until I-440.

-Is there any reason why the I-540/US-1 interchange was built as a par-clo? It would move smoother without the lights.

-Was the speed limit on US-1/64 south of I-40/440 always 65mph (the reconstructed part)? I seem to recall it being 55mph back in September-December.

njroadhorse

Quote-Is there any reason why the I-540/US-1 interchange was built as a par-clo? It would move smoother without the lights.

That's because when I-540 was originally built, US 1 was the last interchange.  Because they knew it would eventually extend around, they built it as a par-clo rather than a trumpet.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

akotchi

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 14, 2009, 04:22:38 PM

NJ:
-The US-1 widening and reconstruction in Edison is mostly done. Just some final touchup work. Its nice having three through lanes all the way to I-287 now.

-Looks like they reconfigured the US-1/I-95/295 interchange on US-1 south to have separate exits as opposed to a C/D road.

U.S. 1 project is supposed to be done by the end of the summer.  My employer designed the widening, and I inherited the traffic work from coworkers who started it.  This is the last project along that corridor that was originally one project from I-287 to Route 35.  The project had been in design since the late 1980's.

That I-95/I-295/U.S. 1 configuration has been in place for almost a year now.  My office is in Princeton, so I go through this location all of the time.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

froggie

Quote-The Capital Beltway west of I-95 is much older then the eastern half. A lot of curves and tight interchanges.

It's not so much that it's "much older"...it actually isn't.  The entire DC Beltway (on both sides of the Potomac) was opened within a 3 year period (first segment opened in 1961, last segment in August 1964).

The reason, in no small part, for the curves is because, by the time construction began in the mid-50s, there was already a lot of suburban development in southern Montgomery County in those areas the Beltway now goes through (in particular between today's I-270 and US 29/Colesville Rd).

Quote-Is there any way to access the HOV lanes on I-395 from the Pentagon area? Didn't see any obvious crossovers from the GW Parkway.

Two, actually.  There's one access on VA 27 just north of Columbia Pike (VA 244).  The other is an access ramp from Eads St, near the south end of the Pentagon South Parking lot.

If you took GW Pkwy all the way to I-395, instead of using VA 27 to cut the corner, that's why you didn't see any.  Unless you're coming from the SW Fwy within the District, there are no HOV access ramps on I-395 proper.

Quote-Was the speed limit on US-1/64 south of I-40/440 always 65mph (the reconstructed part)? I seem to recall it being 55mph back in September-December.

Can't speak for southbound on the reconstructed stretch, but northbound was definitely 65 MPH back in May 2008.

Alex

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 14, 2009, 04:22:38 PM
PA:
-Never realized I-95 is signed 55mph throughout the entire state. Nothing interesting to report otherwise

DE:
-There is a jughandle at Chestnut Hill Rd. and DE-896. Never realized that.

MD:
- Construction of the HOT lanes north of Baltimore is progressing to the point that traffic at the I-695 interchange will all be exiting from the right in the next week. The rebuilt 95/895 interchange will open soon too.

-The Capital Beltway west of I-95 is much older then the eastern half. A lot of curves and tight interchanges. Also noticed the odd choice of "Northern Virginia" as a control city. Why not Tyson's Corner like VA signs?

-I-85 is a much nicer drive then I-95 through southern VA. A lot less stress and hardly any traffic (and no Emporia speedtrap).

The speed limit is only 55 mph on the entire stretch of Interstate 95 in Delaware too. There was some debate about raising it a years ago, but officials felt that raising it would open the door to more speeding. Whenever I take it, the average speed is about 70 mph.

The jughandle along Delaware 896 at Chestnut Hill Road (old Delaware 4) was added around 1990. There is another jughandle intersection on Delaware 273 at Ruthar Drive. The jughandle is not the only way to make a left-hand turn from DE-273 east to Ruthar Drive as a conventional turn lane exists. The jughandle was added to accomodate trucks.

Those Northern Virginia control points on Interstate 495 predate the Tysons Corner ones. I guess they just never got around to updating or changing them. Granted, the signs in Maryland would only be changed if Virginia asked them to do so (from the knowledge of other states' dealing of control points).

I've always enjoyed the reprieve from Interstate 95 traffic and insanity when leaving Petersburg on Interstate 85. Hopefully that will not change anytime soon...

74/171FAN

QuoteVA-10 is a nice little shortcut to I-95 from I-295, only 4 lights and its 4 lane divided.
Its 6 lanes east of SR 618/Meadowville Rd to I-295 with future plans to widen it west to I-95.  Actually the signal at SR 732/Old Stage Rd is a huge bottle neck expecially WB during rush hour.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: AARoads on June 14, 2009, 09:22:32 PM
The speed limit is only 55 mph on the entire stretch of Interstate 95 in Delaware too. There was some debate about raising it a years ago, but officials felt that raising it would open the door to more speeding. Whenever I take it, the average speed is about 70 mph.

The reason it wasn't raised is because its a money generating speed trap (duh). I already got stopped there once in the past. $39 for a speeding ticket is a bargain (cheaper then a parking ticket in NJ). Hopefully they don't change that when they decide to change the speed limit. It really should be 65mph south of I-495 though, especially now that its been widened. It would be nice if the ramp from I-295 to I-95 south got widened already. Its the only real bottleneck left in that mess.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: akotchi on June 14, 2009, 06:16:28 PM
U.S. 1 project is supposed to be done by the end of the summer.  My employer designed the widening, and I inherited the traffic work from coworkers who started it.  This is the last project along that corridor that was originally one project from I-287 to Route 35.  The project had been in design since the late 1980's.

Although it will never happen anytime soon, NJDOT should have built overpasses at Fords Ave. and maybe Parsonage Rd. North of there, Green Ln. should have an overpass as well. Woodbridge Center Dr. would be tough for ramps but its doable there too.

Alex

Quote from: NJRoadfan on June 14, 2009, 10:19:54 PM

The reason it wasn't raised is because its a money generating speed trap (duh). I already got stopped there once in the past. $39 for a speeding ticket is a bargain (cheaper then a parking ticket in NJ). Hopefully they don't change that when they decide to change the speed limit. It really should be 65mph south of I-495 though, especially now that its been widened. It would be nice if the ramp from I-295 to I-95 south got widened already. Its the only real bottleneck left in that mess.

The main area to watch your speed along Interstate 95 is north of the city of Wilmington on the two-lane portion. Otherwise, the spot to look is the I-95/295 split at the sand storage area within the median (What the traffic reports refer to as "the sandbox"). Still, its not often that I see someone pulled over for speeding, and when they do nail someone, its usually along the I-495 stretch with the increased enforcement they started a year or two ago.

NJRoadfan

Some notes on the return trip. Took the more direct route since I wanted to get home in a timely manner.

Route taken: NC-55 West, US-1 North, I-85 North, I-95 North (with DE toll bypass), I-295 North (DE-NJ), Rising Sun Rd. (cut through to Exit 7), NJTP/I-95 North, GSP North

NC:
-Capital Blvd. is plenty fast at 5am in the morning

VA:
-Heavy police enforcement on I-85 in Brunswick County just north of South Hill. At least 7 cars parked in a 10 mile area. They were likely looking for easy reckless driving tickets. Oddly enough they seemed to be hiding in curves located right where the morning sun is blasting in ones eyes. Ironic because most people slow down when encountering sun glare, plus one can see the reflection of the cruiser from far away. Didn't see any in the usual hot spot of Dinwiddle County though, they love enforcing that drop down from 70 to 65 just west of the US-460 multiplex.

-Whats the deal with 60mph speed limits in southern states? Its rarely seen in the northeast and the roads I've seen it on could easily be signed 65mph (like I-95 between Colonial Heights and Richmond). Oddly, patrols on I-95 seemed light up to and along the beltway.

DE:
-Whats the deal with the ramp construction on I-295 heading to the bridge? Its been under construction for at least 2 years now.

NJ:
-NJ has not posted signs entering the state for their new "pull over" law for emergency vehicles, at least on I-295. Didn't see any posted signs for the hands free cellphone law either.

-The concrete on I-295 north of Rancocas Creek is toast. They need to resurface it badly.

-The crossover between I-295 Exit 56 and NJTP Exit 7 is much nicer now. Rising Sun Rd. has been widened to 2 lanes in each direction from the I-295 ramp. There is also a small connector roadway to US-206 for left turns that make getting onto the NJTP a snap now. They wisely built the connector road out of concrete to handle the heavy truck traffic here.

froggie

QuoteDE:
-Whats the deal with the ramp construction on I-295 heading to the bridge? Its been under construction for at least 2 years now.

If you're referring to the construction just before US 13, they're doing some sort of bridge redecking/replacement.  Since it has to be done under traffic, it's been taking awhile.

74/171FAN

Quote-Whats the deal with 60mph speed limits in southern states? Its rarely seen in the northeast and the roads I've seen it on could easily be signed 65mph (like I-95 between Colonial Heights and Richmond). Oddly, patrols on I-95 seemed light up to and along the beltway.
I mostly agree that I-95 between Colonial Heights and Richmond could be 65 but that won't change anytime soon especially north of VA 161 due to the Highway Safety Corridor.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

elsmere241

The jughandle along Delaware 896 at Chestnut Hill Road (old Delaware 4) was added around 1990.

Specifically, 1983 as part of the Christina Parkway project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.