News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road Trip Advice>>DFW to Upper Peninsula Michigan

Started by dfwtbear, June 12, 2013, 11:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfwtbear

I am planning on driving to see my Dad in the UP of Michigan, Houghton from the DFW area. Looking for advice for routes and places to avoid.
I keep thinking its best to follow I-35 most of the way north to Duluth, MN and go across US-2 although I am considering Going north on US-75 out of Dallas thru Oklahoma and hit I-44 northeast of Tulsa and go up to KC using the new I-49 and hook back up with I-35 there. I tend to dislike non-freeway roads because of slow downs for towns, but I am also trying to get where I am going as fast as I can.

Also, not sure if I should make reservation for a halfway point motel for the night or just go as far as I can and stop and find motel then.

Any and all advice will be welcomed.
THANKS!!

agentsteel53

Quote from: dfwtbear on June 12, 2013, 11:58:23 AM
I tend to dislike non-freeway roads because of slow downs for towns, but I am also trying to get where I am going as fast as I can.

did you make a typo here?  i.e. "but I am not trying to get..." - because that's the only way the "but" would make sense in that sentence.

reason I ask is, that greatly changes your ideal routing.  if you just want to blaze along the freeways, then Google Maps will give you good answers.

if you're looking for a good set of scenery without too many suburbs and WalMarts and what have you, I would recommend:

1) to get to Kansas City, ask someone more familiar with that area of the world.  Bugo maybe?  I-35 through the Flint Hills of Kansas is quite scenic, but you may instead want to do 75-44-49 or 69-44-59. 

north of KC, I'd recommend doing some of US-71, which is less direct than I-35 but gives you lots of nice rural scenery without any "large towns" (aka Wal-Mart districts) until Willmar, MN.  Willmar is pretty terrifying, so I'd get off on really any east-west US route, like maybe US-212 to the MSP area, which you can get through on freeways.

after the Twin Cities, the Google recommended WI-29/US-51/US-8/WI-17/US-45 route is a perfectly cromulent one.  but maybe if you wanted to skip the 29 expressway and see something more rural, consider jogging up I-35 to US-8.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

A route that slows down at the occasional town may still be faster due to a shorter distance. In this specific case, 75-69 is shorter than I-35 from DFW to KC. The question is whether the Goog's times are accurate (10-15 minutes saved using I-35). (Also, is avoiding the towns on 69 in southeast Kansas worth the extra distance of going to Joplin for I-49?)

Another route to consider: I-30/US 67/I-55/I-39. Same distance but an hour longer per the Goog, but they may be underestimating speeds on US 67.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Once you leave Duluth/Superior, or US-51 if you come that way, there is nothing but non-freeway routes the rest of the way.  Here are a few route ideas to/from Houghton:

1. I-35 north to I-94, cut across Wis-29 (near Eau Claire) to US-51 in Wausau.  North on US-51 to US-8.  East on US-8 to Wis-17 in Rhinelander.  Follow Wis-17 north to US-45 in Eagle River.  Then take US-45 north to M-26, and M-26 north/east into Houghton.

2. I-35 north to Duluth/Superior.  Get across the river and use US-2 east to Wakefield and pick up M-28 east.  Follow M-28 east to US-45 at Bruce Crossing.  Then take US-45 north to M-26 as above.

3. If you want to see more of the Midwest, Illinois and Wisconsin, then follow I-35 to I-44 to St Louis.  At St Louis, pick up I-55 north to I-39 in Bloomington-Normal.  Take I-39 north to Wisconsin.  In Wisconsin, you can follow any of these:

3a. I-43 north to I-894 north to US-41.  Follow US-41 around Appleton to Green Bay.  At Abrams, take US-141 north to Iron Mountain.  Then follow US-2/US-141 to Crystal Falls, and US-141 back to US-41 (with M-28) near Covington.  Follow US-41 north into Houghton.

3b. I-43 north to Green Bay.  Then, at the end of I-43, take US-41 north as in 3a.

3c. I-39 north to Wausau and go as instructed on the first routing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

deathtopumpkins

Moved this to the Road Trips board.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

dfwtbear

I think I am just going to follow I-35 north to Duluth, then east across US-2 using Brandon's #2 advice, thank you for all of your advice. If anyone is interested, I'll tell you how i liked it and if i took another route back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.