News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is technological regression a thing?

Started by empirestate, May 31, 2018, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on June 14, 2018, 12:15:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on June 14, 2018, 08:36:19 AM
Take it away, Mr. Gorte.
If this is supposed to be a reference to something, I don't get it.
Yes. I quoted him concerning how easy it is to ignore the signs if you want. See below.
Quote from: Brandon on June 13, 2018, 04:42:16 PMThe Cuomo signs are easy to ignore.

I didn't know Brandon was Mr. Gorte. Had I known, your entire post would have made a bit more sense!

Quote from: empirestate on June 14, 2018, 01:38:56 PM
This whole thread is now officially a regression.

Not an unexpected regression; it tends to happen to a lot of threads after they reach a certain length (coincidentally, this is reply #200! :-P).

Beltway

Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 03:41:33 PM
The 707 was the first successful jet airliner.  The Comet flew first, but had a sad series of accidents and was taken out of service.  The 707 introduced higher speed and longer range flights at lower prices.

The de Havilland Comet was restored to service and some still flew in the 1990s, but only 116 were built.

There were 865 B-707 built and service began in 1957, and the DC-8 had very similar size and performance and entered service one year after the B-707 and 556 were built.  Economically they were very successful, and economically the Comet was unsuccessful.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 12:42:58 AM
The SST was too short range.  If they could have served trans-Pacific routes, say Los Angeles to Tokyo in 3 hours rather than 11.5, they would have been more competitive.

Small correction: Tokyo to LA was 9-9.5 hours when I flew that route in 2007.  I'm not sure how LA to Tokyo compares, or if the blocked flight time changes throughout the year.

kkt

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 12:42:58 AM
The SST was too short range.  If they could have served trans-Pacific routes, say Los Angeles to Tokyo in 3 hours rather than 11.5, they would have been more competitive.

Small correction: Tokyo to LA was 9-9.5 hours when I flew that route in 2007.  I'm not sure how LA to Tokyo compares, or if the blocked flight time changes throughout the year.

I used this web site:

https://www.prokerala.com/travel/flight-time/from-los-angeles/to-tokyo/

Flying east is faster because you're going with the jet stream.

Beltway

Quote from: kkt on June 14, 2018, 04:56:07 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on June 14, 2018, 04:46:16 PM
I used this web site:
https://www.prokerala.com/travel/flight-time/from-los-angeles/to-tokyo/
Flying east is faster because you're going with the jet stream.

The path and altitude of the jet streams vary considerably over a year. 
At some times that route would not see any jet stream impact.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

empirestate

Just to offer another TV-related example I've noticed: Especially for cord-cutters using app-based systems, but also for traditional cable service, just the simple act of turning on the TV and beginning to view its content has become much slower and more complicated.

Old way: Pull out the knob and wait a few seconds. In some cases, set one or two nearby dials to the correct channel; but even without this step, some programming will be displayed without any further action.
New way: Turn on TV set. Turn on smart TV device. Navigate through menu to desired app. Navigate through app menu to find desired programming. Note that no programming is displayed until this last step is completed.

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on June 20, 2018, 03:46:32 PM
Just to offer another TV-related example I've noticed: Especially for cord-cutters using app-based systems, but also for traditional cable service, just the simple act of turning on the TV and beginning to view its content has become much slower and more complicated.

Old way: Pull out the knob and wait a few seconds. In some cases, set one or two nearby dials to the correct channel; but even without this step, some programming will be displayed without any further action.
New way: Turn on TV set. Turn on smart TV device. Navigate through menu to desired app. Navigate through app menu to find desired programming. Note that no programming is displayed until this last step is completed.

Well.. If kids are turning TV on in the morning, maybe its a good thing they don't know what their parents were watching so late..

J N Winkler

Couple of observations:

*  Many streaming platforms, e.g. Netflix, automatically cue up the next episode of a TV series once you come to the end of the current episode, so this is an improvement over having to wait for broadcast of the next episode as well as a mitigant for the additional control navigation required before you can begin watching.

*  Arguably, having to proactively choose what one watches is feature, not bug, since it establishes behavioral barriers to mindless TV watching.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 20, 2018, 04:17:52 PM
Couple of observations:

*  Many streaming platforms, e.g. Netflix, automatically cue up the next episode of a TV series once you come to the end of the current episode, so this is an improvement over having to wait for broadcast of the next episode as well as a mitigant for the additional control navigation required before you can begin watching.

*  Arguably, having to proactively choose what one watches is feature, not bug, since it establishes behavioral barriers to mindless TV watching.

A round of applause for your last point!  That is actually the biggest reason I don't have streaming but instead buy discs or borrow them from the library.  What I watch is something I actively chose, not just something that came over streaming or the airwaves.

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on June 20, 2018, 04:26:15 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on June 20, 2018, 04:17:52 PM
Couple of observations:

A round of applause for your last point!  That is actually the biggest reason I don't have streaming but instead buy discs or borrow them from the library.  What I watch is something I actively chose, not just something that came over streaming or the airwaves.

It is a good point–in the older days of TV, there was less content available, so the simple act of turning it on was more likely to mean that you had specifically chosen to watch something particular. So, as with any example of Elmer, the existence of the regression depends on what you identify as the problem being solved.

abefroman329

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 20, 2018, 04:17:52 PM*  Arguably, having to proactively choose what one watches is feature, not bug, since it establishes behavioral barriers to mindless TV watching.

Oh, I have a couple of shows on Hulu I watch mindlessly.

Quote from: empirestate on June 20, 2018, 03:46:32 PM

My cable box is such a piece of crap, it takes me almost as long to bring up the programming guide and pick something to watch as it does to pick something to watch via a streaming service.

hbelkins

Having a streaming service requires a broadband internet connection with sufficient speed and available data to make it work. That's one big reason I don't have any streaming services.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

My problem with the streaming idea is twofold: (1) No convenient way to watch Nats games because MASN isn't on any of the streaming services and is otherwise unavailable online in the DC area unless you pay for MLB.tv AND use a VPN to mask your location (the latter because of MLB's blackout rules). (2) Probably more important for reasons married posters will understand–Ms1995hoo and I have been married for almost eight years and she's comfortable with DirecTV (before we got married, she just had an antenna), so I'm reluctant to make her learn a new system unless it's really something outstanding.

We might consider trying Sling TV except for the Nats game issue noted above. I could probably do the VPN thing, but I'd have to do some research to determine which VPN service to use, how to do it, etc.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 24, 2018, 05:57:50 PM
My problem with the streaming idea is twofold: (1) No convenient way to watch Nats games because MASN isn't on any of the streaming services and is otherwise unavailable online in the DC area unless you pay for MLB.tv AND use a VPN to mask your location (the latter because of MLB's blackout rules). (2) Probably more important for reasons married posters will understand–Ms1995hoo and I have been married for almost eight years and she's comfortable with DirecTV (before we got married, she just had an antenna), so I'm reluctant to make her learn a new system unless it's really something outstanding.

We might consider trying Sling TV except for the Nats game issue noted above. I could probably do the VPN thing, but I'd have to do some research to determine which VPN service to use, how to do it, etc.

Really the only reason we pay for the OTA channels is for sporting events and other shows I want to watch live.  You are correct that there is no good solution to that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.