News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Reeling from the loss of gas tax revenue during pandemic, states are deferring

Started by cpzilliacus, July 13, 2020, 01:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Reeling from the loss of gas tax revenue during pandemic, states are deferring billions of dollars of transportation projects

QuoteLeaders of state transportation departments across the nation say the coronavirus pandemic has left them facing an estimated $50 billion shortfall in funding needed to repave rutted and pockmarked roads, maintain bridges and otherwise prop up already shaky infrastructure.

QuoteThe budget gap is in large part the result of the restrictions imposed across the country in the spring to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus. That sent demand for gasoline falling by hundreds of millions of gallons each day. And as gas stopped flowing into the tanks of Americans' cars and trucks, the tax revenue from that fuel stopped flowing to state transportation departments.

QuoteMore than $8.5 billion of work planned in 14 states and 19 localities – from major highway projects to local street repairs – has been canceled or delayed, according to the American Road and Transportation Builders Association.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Insofar as I am aware, NY has not resorted to deferring projects yet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Kentucky canceled its May and June scheduled lettings, and deferred several previously-awarded paving contracts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2020, 12:17:47 PM
Kentucky canceled its May and June scheduled lettings, and deferred several previously-awarded paving contracts.
Sissies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Rothman on July 13, 2020, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2020, 12:17:47 PM
Sissies.
The Derby got pushed back to the Fall. I mean, thats a lot of missing KY revenue, right there

Mccojm

Quote from: Rothman on July 13, 2020, 07:16:21 AM

Internal rumblings is that if nys doesn't get the $30B stimulus from the feds then the capital budget will be slashed meaning capital projects get shut down, lettings get canceled, us employees face furloughs and layoffs when many of us can't barley afford to live in the state as is and we're facing critical low staffing levels as is. Good times ahead.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

Rothman

Quote from: Mccojm on August 14, 2020, 11:40:30 PM

Internal rumblings is that of nys doesn't get the $30B stimulus from the feds then the capita budget will be slashed meaning capital projects get shit down, lettings get canceled, us employees face furloughs and layoffs. Good times ahead.
Yeah, the rumor mill is running at full tilt now.  Keep in mind a lot of people are just making their best guess at what is going to happen rather than actually being on the inside and knowing what will happen.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on August 15, 2020, 11:51:40 AM

Internal rumblings is that of nys doesn't get the $30B stimulus from the feds then the capita budget will be slashed meaning capital projects get shit down, lettings get canceled, us employees face furloughs and layoffs. Good times ahead.
Yeah, the rumor mill is running at full tilt now.  Keep in mind a lot of people are just making their best guess at what is going to happen rather than actually being on the inside and knowing what will happen.

It's not just internal.  Our governor, JB Pritzker, has actually gone on record warning of layoffs and massive pain if Illinois doesn't get a federal bailout.  I have a feeling it would include IDOT.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker warns of "˜extraordinarily painful' cuts, job losses if Washington doesn't provide pandemic relief funding to states
/Story meant for information and reference regarding this being more than just a rumor, not politics.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Cuomo has said across the board 20% cuts to the press a few times.  Of course, how that would affect NYSDOT is still unknown, but the way things nearly went in 2011 has me a little worried (especially as 2011 was a smaller deficit and the union was under different management then... the current union president has said that he'd rather have layoffs than "give-backs").

There was a bill for an early retirement incentive in both the Assembly and Senate, but last I heard, it hasn't gone anywhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2020, 09:58:45 PM

Cuomo has said across the board 20% cuts to the press a few times.  Of course, how that would affect NYSDOT is still unknown, but the way things nearly went in 2011 has me a little worried (especially as 2011 was a smaller deficit and the union was under different management then... the current union president has said that he'd rather have layoffs than "give-backs").

There was a bill for an early retirement incentive in both the Assembly and Senate, but last I heard, it hasn't gone anywhere.
PEF leadership got burned by the contract that they touted had a "no layoffs clause," when the clause was anything but.

Once benefits are lost, it is extremely difficult to negotiate them back, so I can see why current leadership is resistant to the idea of losing benefits (although I'd bet there are a few that are rarely utilized by membership).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.