News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

High Alkali content affects I-49 and other Arkansas Roads

Started by US71, January 04, 2016, 11:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

High alkalai content has led to median barrier damage along I-49 and may affect other Arkansas roads as well.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Jardine

US71

Quote from: Jardine on January 04, 2016, 02:03:20 PM
I don't think the Romans had that problem.

:)
Their water sources probably weren't as gacked up as the Arkansas River is.

noelbotevera

So pretty much, this is AHTD's fault because they were dumb enough to think that using Alkali would extend the life of concrete? Can't Arkansas use asphalt, or will it make the problem worse?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

US71

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 04, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
So pretty much, this is AHTD's fault because they were dumb enough to think that using Alkali would extend the life of concrete? Can't Arkansas use asphalt, or will it make the problem worse?

No. It's mostly a bad chemical reaction with the Arkansas River sand.

cjk374

LA DOTD ran into the same problem on a stretch between MP 93 & the Lincoln/Ouachita Parish line. The rock used by the contractor to make the concrete came from Kentucky. It was too alkaline and the concrete was breaking apart in less than 5 years. Putting hotmix over that has lead to at least 2 or 3 repaving jobs since then (it was the mid 90s when the new concrete was poured).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TXtoNJ

SteveG1988

There is that bridge over the LA river that is crumbling from the same reaction.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

US71

Quote from: TXtoNJ on January 07, 2016, 11:48:59 PM
Chicken manure from the Tyson plants?
Possible. They've been cited in the past for dumping.

bjrush

This isn't really AHTD's fault. Sometimes the fine aggregate just has a high alkali content. You can't use asphalt for a median barrier.

The same thing happened with XNAs main runway
Woo Pig Sooie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.