Who is working Thanksgiving? Coronavirus edition

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, November 20, 2020, 02:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

That time of the year is upon us again, and it's time to ask, for the 8th year in a row, this question. Nobody knew at the time of last year's iteration that a new virus had started spreading in the Chinese city of Wuhan (it has been traced back to as early as 2019, November 17) and that it would bring the world as we knew it to an end, so this year things will be a little different. More people won't be working this day, but also it is strongly recommended not to gather in large numbers, so this year dinners are expected to be more intimate.

The (American) Football schedule for this strange year in which most personnel at these stadia won't be working (times are EST):
12:30 p.m.: Texans at Lions
4:30 p.m.: Football Team (:sombrero:) at Cowboys
8:30 p.m.: Ravens at Steelers.

Previous iterations of this thread: VII, VI, V, IV, III, II, I
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Nope, not working.  Now that I'm office staff, I get the day off with pay.

My sister and her husband are driving down from Iowa, and we'll be heading to meet them at my parents' house for the day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Also a (tentatively) relatively healthy slate of college sports that day.

Football
1 PM: Colorado State/Air Force
6 PM: New Mexico/Utah State

Basketball, including:
11 AM: Wright State/(8) Illinois
12:30 PM: (1) Gonzaga/(6) Kansas
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Not working. Never have worked Thanksgiving.

My family, for the first time in like 80+ years, is not having Thanksgiving this year. Too many older people, and too many people with underlying immune issues, to take any risks.

I will be with my girlfriend and her small family this year. Very strange for me to be anywhere except with my family, but it's for the best.

We are thinking about having a faux-Thanksgiving next year during the Spring, assuming we get a vaccine by then.

tchafe1978

I finally get Thanksgiving off for the first time in about 15 or 16 years, as we are going to be closed on Thanksgiving for the first time in over 30 years. Just about the only time I'll say, "Thanks, Corona!"

bulldog1979

I'll be off again this year as well, thanks to my promotion to salary a few years ago.

SSOWorld

As tempting as it would be to touch the work computer, it sits off during the holiday in the home office.

Thanksgiving, the bubble edition.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Not working and I think that COVID was the final nail in the coffin in terms of killing the potential for it ever happening. 

cjk374

No work for me either. Thanksgiving is one of our mandatory holidays off.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

GaryV

Does dragging the boxes of Christmas decorations out of the basement count as work?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Not working, but it's going to be ... different ... just like everything else in 2020.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Off Thursday and Friday, and will only be called upon to work if there is some sort of weather event or emergency that requires public notification.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cu2010

For the first time in nearly a decade, I won't be working on Thanksgiving.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Still working on Thanksgiving, and no birthday for me this year either.  :verymad:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 21, 2020, 02:19:40 PM
Not working, but it's going to be ... different ... just like everything else in 2020.

Should be just the same as always for my family.  My parents, my sister and her husband, and the five of us.  Dinner at my folks' house.  That's the way it is every year.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2020, 03:51:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 21, 2020, 02:19:40 PM

Should be just the same as always for my family.  My parents, my sister and her husband, and the five of us.  Dinner at my folks' house.  That's the way it is every year.

Here in New York, gatherings are limited to 10, but my family is *much* larger than that when we're all together, so it'll be a smaller than usual gathering this year.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 22, 2020, 04:04:55 PM
Here in New York, gatherings are limited to 10, but my family is *much* larger than that when we're all together, so it'll be a smaller than usual gathering this year.

I grew up far away from extended family, and my mother only had two living relatives during my childhood, so I only have a couple of early memories of "large" family gatherings–and those were probably only a dozen people.  My introduction to big holiday parties was after meeting my [now] wife, whose nuclear and extended family all gathered in one house for Christmas.  It's definitely a different kind of setting, that's for sure.
Male pronouns, please.

ET21

I am not and have Black Friday off as well  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

I should mention that, even though I get Thanksgiving off from work, my wife (who is self-employed as a home daycare provider) also takes off Wednesday and Friday every year as paid holidays, giving her a five-day week-end.  I suspect she'll still do some work on her side business, though (selling Scentsy).
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2020, 10:08:25 AM
... My introduction to big holiday parties was after meeting my [now] wife, whose nuclear and extended family all gathered in one house for Christmas.  It's definitely a different kind of setting, that's for sure.

Sounds familiar to me, though! I've got a lot of family on both sides, and I do sometimes wonder how different things would be if that wasn't the case. Smaller Thanksgivings, definitely. Less travel, also definitely. I remember being shocked as a kid in elementary/middle school that some of my peers had never been on an airplane. Then I realized both sides of their family were probably from nearby, and decided maybe it was a blessing to have a far-away set of grandparents/relatives.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.