News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nebraska Nice

Started by ClarkRB, October 30, 2018, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClarkRB

Hello everyone!  Was a guest lurker for the longest time, but decided to finally join the crew. 

I love highway culture but I do have pet peeves on some items:

1.  State Highways that still use the circle default
2.  Numbers that violate AASHTO
3.  States that have a poor exit number/mile marker postings (I'm looking at you CA)
4.  Sequential exit numbers
5.  Unsigned highways like I-194
6.  Cut-out US Hwy signs in CA
7.   :hmmm: Maybe there are more  :colorful:

Anyhow, I look forward to engaging in convos with you all. 
Clark
Time for a Runza.

hotdogPi

Welcome from Massachusetts!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Welcome...really though the cut-out US Route Shields?  The design of those cut-puts have way more class than those chunky MUTCD compliant blanks. 

oscar

Quote from: ClarkRB on October 30, 2018, 09:49:46 AM

CA is cutout heaven. Interstate, US, state, county route markers are all cutouts.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Ha!  You just alienated yourself to everyone else on the forum with that one.    :biggrin:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on October 30, 2018, 11:09:49 AM

CA is cutout heaven. Interstate, US, state, county route markers are all cutouts.

Almost all of them...

IMG_7686 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

froggie

So...I have to ask:  how does "Nebraska Nice" compare to "Minnesota Nice"?

paulthemapguy

You wouldn't have all those pet peeves if you didn't have standards, and you wouldn't have standards if you didn't have passion.  We welcome your passion to the forum!  :bigass:  :wave:  We all want what's best for our roadways (we just have differing opinions on what's "best"  :-P ).
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

adventurernumber1

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 30, 2018, 03:31:52 PM
You wouldn't have all those pet peeves if you didn't have standards, and you wouldn't have standards if you didn't have passion.  We welcome your passion to the forum!  :bigass:  :wave:  We all want what's best for our roadways (we just have differing opinions on what's "best"  :-P ).

I agree. I love cut out shields (so disagree with # 6), but all us roadgeeks are different and have different likes and dislikes within the hobby.

So with that said, I welcome you to the forum as well!  :wave:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

webny99

Welcome to the forum from Upstate NY!  :wave:

Don't worry that there are many here who actually like cut-out shields. A lot of them like button-copy signs, too, which I can't understand; the newer the better! So don't worry, you'll get used to the quirks and eccentricities soon enough.  :-P

kevinb1994

adwerkema

Welcome from Michigan! As everyone is posting about their opinions on cutout signs, I will follow suit.

I think both the cutout and non-cutout signs are visually appealing. The cutouts are definitely more classy. However, the non-cutout signs have that black background, making the sign stand out more to an observer. Non-cutouts appear more simple, clean, and modern.

ClarkRB

Quote from: kphoger on October 30, 2018, 01:21:14 PM

Ha!  You just alienated yourself to everyone else on the forum with that one.    :biggrin:

:ded: Perhaps I did.  I actually think CA got lazy with sign replacement.  Especially since they have so few US routes.  The signs almost look like imposters  :-D :-D
Time for a Runza.

ClarkRB

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2018, 09:50:19 AM

Thanks!  Great to be on board!
Time for a Runza.

ClarkRB

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 30, 2018, 11:04:53 AM
Welcome...really though the cut-out US Route Shields?  The design of those cut-puts have way more class than those chunky MUTCD compliant blanks.

They just look like they are pirated.  Like from some shady company in China who sold California dozens of US 395 signs for the price of one legit looking US 395 like in Reno  :)
Time for a Runza.

ClarkRB

Almost all of them...

IMG_7686 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
[/quote]

See, that looks great.  Although I think CA should do away with the shovel and consider using state shape.  Even using state shape for the C in California.
Time for a Runza.

ClarkRB

Quote from: froggie on October 30, 2018, 01:37:07 PM

Its like Minnesota nice but with insane property tax.
Time for a Runza.

ClarkRB

True Statement!  I'm picky about it.  I'm especially critical of California.  Except Zzyzx Road.  I love Zzyzx Road.
Time for a Runza.

ClarkRB

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2018, 07:58:51 PM
Welcome to the forum from Upstate NY!  :wave:

Don't worry that there are many here who actually like cut-out shields. A lot of them like button-copy signs, too, which I can't understand; the newer the better! So don't worry, you'll get used to the quirks and eccentricities soon enough.  :-P

Button Copy is a pet peeve I forgot about  :-D I agree newer is better.  Oh, and Freeway Font is better than whatever the heck Georgia uses :)
Time for a Runza.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:42:01 PM

They just look like they are pirated.  Like from some shady company in China who sold California dozens of US 395 signs for the price of one legit looking US 395 like in Reno  :)

Aside from the new vinyl ones coming out now they were reflective paint with vinyl graphics.  Those painted cut-outs lasted a solid 20 years plus and generally still had good color compared to vinyl signs only a decade only.  Sometimes paying more gets a longer lasting sign, the button-copy's are largely similar in design. 

But how do they look pirated?  The MUTCD US Route shields have an altered crown and the font is too wide to fit properly with some numerals (example: US 41).  The three digit shields have a stretched look whereas the California viriant has a much more graceful design.   

Regarding the square CA 99 Shield...it's unique but the design really isn't the best.  It could use a green border around the shield, it looks pasted on there IMO. 

webny99

Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:46:30 PM
You wouldn't have all those pet peeves if you didn't have standards, and you wouldn't have standards if you didn't have passion.  We welcome your passion to the forum! We all want what's best for our roadways (we just have differing opinions on what's "best").
True Statement!  I'm picky about it.  I'm especially critical of California.  Except Zzyzx Road.  I love Zzyzx Road.
Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:44:26 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 30, 2018, 01:37:07 PM
Its like Minnesota nice but with insane property tax.
Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:42:01 PM
They just look like they are pirated.  Like from some shady company in China who sold California dozens of US 395 signs for the price of one legit looking US 395 like in Reno
Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:40:02 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2018, 09:50:19 AM
Thanks!  Great to be on board!
Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 30, 2018, 01:21:14 PM
Ha!  You just alienated yourself to everyone else on the forum with that one.
Perhaps I did.  I actually think CA got lazy with sign replacement.  Especially since they have so few US routes.  The signs almost look like imposters.

Just FYI, since you are new, it is wise, on this forum, to avoid making a whole bunch of consecutive posts to the same thread. You can quote multiple posts at once (as I just did ;-)), to avoid double- or triple- (and so on) posting to the same thread.
It's not that users are banned from doing a whole bunch of posts, just that it's discouraged in the rules.

Quote from: ClarkRB on November 01, 2018, 01:48:11 PM
Button Copy is a pet peeve I forgot about  :-D I agree newer is better.  Oh, and Freeway Font is better than whatever the heck Georgia uses :)

Yep, we are on the same page there!!

MantyMadTown

Quote from: oscar on October 30, 2018, 11:09:49 AM

I think they're all fine. In California at least. They have their own thing going on there and I like it. I wouldn't do it for any other state though.

Other than that I think I share the same pet peeves as you ClarkRB.
Welcome from Wisconsin!
Forget the I-41 haters

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.