News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ashtabula County, Ohio Road Meet

Started by Dougtone, April 29, 2017, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

While I think it's a bit early to make a formal meet announcement, I wanted to write a post for the Ashtabula County, Ohio road meet. I'm aiming to have the meet over Veterans Day weekend, so a good end of the year meet. It also helps that the Buffalo Bills have a home game the next day and it's roughly a couple of hours up I-90.

Since Ashtabula is the gateway to Ohio for those of us in Upstate New York, the area has intrigued me and I thought that it would be a good place for a road meet based on what I've seen from my own travels in the county. Ashtabula County is known for covered bridges, but in no way will this meet be limited to just covered bridges (but do expect a bridge heavy tour).

I plan on making a trip over the summer to scout out potential stops and a restaurant to dine at. More specific details will be provided over the summer.

Rothman

Huh.  Not sure what is in that area construction-wise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dougtone

There was construction at the I-90/OH 11 intersection, but I believe that's finished now.

Alps

I don't really care about it, but I get the feeling I'll be forced to go.

Bitmapped

You might look at the bascule lift bridge on SR 531 in Ashtabula while you're in the area.

I've seen all of the Ashtabula County covered bridges before, so there's no draw for me from that perspective but I might come if I don't have any other plans that weekend.

Dougtone

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 30, 2017, 07:37:56 PM
You might look at the bascule lift bridge on SR 531 in Ashtabula while you're in the area.

I've seen all of the Ashtabula County covered bridges before, so there's no draw for me from that perspective but I might come if I don't have any other plans that weekend.

The bascule lift bridge is on the list of things I may include in the tour. The Harpersfield Covered Bridge, Smolen-Gulf and the old concrete arch bridge off OH 7 in Conneaut are among the other stops that I have in mind.

A.J. Bertin

I'm definitely interested in attending this one. I look forward to hearing more details!
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

Very likely at this time. My attendance depends on workload and preparations for my qualifier. It'll be a lot easier if I can get out of my afternoon class that Friday, but I could still make it regardless.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jpi

If this falls on the weekend of my Dayton, OH show I may consider it since it is a few hours away.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

corco

My plan is to go, but my track record for actually making it to meet #2 in any given year is pretty abysmal, so we'll see what randomass thing happens between now and November to make me not able to attend.

Since it is over a three day weekend, though, I'd say it's pretty darn likely.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

7/8

This one (along with Columbus) is on my radar. Unfortunately it's not a long weekend for me, but it's only a 4 hour drive to Ashtabula (not too bad).

dgolub

Definitely interested, as long as I can make the logistics work.

route17fan

Of course, off of OH 534 in Geneva, just south of US 20 is one of the shortest covered bridges I have ever seen - at 18 feet.

link: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7992262,-80.947455,3a,15.7y,262.01h,88.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWVzLIvn0Aa63UXuZILKQ0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on May 24, 2017, 04:50:26 PM
Of course, off of OH 534 in Geneva, just south of US 20 is one of the shortest covered bridges I have ever seen - at 18 feet.

link: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7992262,-80.947455,3a,15.7y,262.01h,88.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWVzLIvn0Aa63UXuZILKQ0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'll be driving through there tomorrow. That's supposedly the shortest in the country that isn't a dedicated footbridge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

I'll have an answer in the coming months.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Doug, any further word on the Ashtabula road meet?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dougtone

I'm going to pass on hosting the meet for the time being. Too many other things going on for me right now to really have put in energy in planning out the meet,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.