News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cell Phone Use Prohibited - Up To $200 Fine

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 28, 2009, 05:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

In San Angelo there's a new law that prohibits cell phone usage in any school zones during the school hours on school days the fine for using a cell phone in a school zone is up to $200. I don't think using my cell phone while driving(if i could drive) is worth $200, do You?
BigMatt

Chris

Who's gonna enforce that? Police officers patrolling the classrooms?  :pan:

BigMattFromTexas

QuoteWho's gonna enforce that? Police officers patrolling the classrooms?
Drivers can't use cell phones while driving in a school zones on roads

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

myosh_tino

This is nothing new in California.  Here, as of July 2008, we cannot use our cell phones while driving unless we are using a hands-free device like a bluetooth earpiece.  Drivers under the age of 18 are never allowed to use a cell phone while driving.  A new law took effect January of 2009 that bans "texting" while driving.

Fines for a first offense are around $25-50 but after you add all the court costs and fees it'll set you back at least $125.

Also, this applies to everyone driving in the state of California which includes out-of-state drivers and foreigners.  And yes, the CHP and local police are enforcing this law.

Edit: According to this column in the San Jose Mercury News by Gary Richards (a.k.a. Mr. Roadshow), over 250,000 tickets have been written statewide for violating the cell phone law.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

BigMattFromTexas

Im gonna try to get a picture of one of the signs that say's it.
BigMatt

FLRoads

Well, comparing 250,000 citations vs. the 37.6 million who live in California, that is not a whole lot of tickets. I was out there in July and saw a lot of people breaking that law. It did not matter if I was in the neighborhoods of San Diego or on the freeways of LA, it seemed to me that there are a lot of people driving out there who either do not know the law or are simply ignoring it. And on top of that, I did see one instance where law enforcement drove past a couple of drivers who were on the phone and those drivers were not pulled over.

SSOWorld

Seems that the cell phone law in San Angelo is also aimed at stopping students from using cell phones during school hours as well.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Terry Shea

Quote from: flaroadgeek on August 28, 2009, 08:32:51 PM
Well, comparing 250,000 citations vs. the 37.6 million who live in California, that is not a whole lot of tickets. I was out there in July and saw a lot of people breaking that law. It did not matter if I was in the neighborhoods of San Diego or on the freeways of LA, it seemed to me that there are a lot of people driving out there who either do not know the law or are simply ignoring it. And on top of that, I did see one instance where law enforcement drove past a couple of drivers who were on the phone and those drivers were not pulled over.
On the contrary that sounds like a ton of tickets.  Yeah I know, that's only about 1 ticket for every 150 residents, but that's including underage kids and others who don't drive.  Also, obviously not everyone is going to violate the law and there are only a certain number of law enforcement officials to write the tickets, not to mention you can't use radar to detect cell phone usage (or can you?).  I'd like to know how that figure compares to speeding tickets issued during the same period.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.