News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on May 03, 2014, 03:12:56 AM
Quote from: US71 on May 02, 2014, 11:05:42 AM
Quote from: bugo on May 02, 2014, 02:40:15 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2014, 07:28:58 PM
Fear not,  Jeremy...the vast length of highway being renumbered means that it is near certain that at least one shield will be missed. And we probably won't discover it for a long while.

As soon as its location is publicized, some anal roadgeek will go whining to AHTD and it will be changed.

If I ever find an I-540 shield in NWA, I'm not revealing the location to anybody I don't trust.

But if I find it, it'll be on my living room wall. :p

More like it.

I already have one :p
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Which reminds me that Jeremy already has what is apparently going to be the only state-name Arkansas I-49 shield ever made on his wall.

Wouldn't that confuse the sign collectors on eBay if it ended up there in 40 years...?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Well, I can say with certainty that the intersecting roadways are being changed out. I spotted a couple places where the sign crews appear to have missed, but I'll say nothing at this time given this is a "work in progress".  :wave:

But here's an assembly spotted today near Rudy.

UPDATE
I-540 signs have been changed out to I-49 on the intersecting roads as far north as Exit 34 (AR 282 Chester), but ONLY at the interstate itself. There are at least 3 TO I-540 trailblazers at Mountainburg which have NOT been changed yet.

US71

A small piece of history I found today. This is the AR 282 bridge over I-49 near Rudy, AR. 
When I-540 was planned north of Alma, it was intended to be a new alignment of US 71, replacing the old 2-Lane between Alma and Fayetteville. It was later decided to leave 71 where it was (and still is) and designate the new road as an extension of I-540.
Rumor has it the roadside craft shops and assorted cafes were afraid they would lose business from tourists not knowing AR 471 (the proposed re-designation) was actually old US 71, so 71 was allowed to remain on it's original (and current) alignment.

Scott5114

Those 49s look really dumb next to the classic-style I-40...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

O Tamandua

This really could go in the Texas I-69 thread below, but given I-49 links up (indirectly now, directly in the future) with New Orleans and Baton Rouge I think it's appropriate here:

The Panama Canal expansion will make it more difficult for California to compete with Texas

The Toyota relocation to North Texas is one of the largest such corporate relocations in recent memory.   As others have mentioned, the move was about business climate factors, such as taxes and regulations.

I think that there is another reason for businesses leaving the West Coast and moving to our side of the country, i.e. the expansion of the Panama Canal!

In the next ten years, large ships will be able to cross the Canal and go to Houston, a port in "a right to work state" and with quicker access to much of the country.    New Orleans and other Gulf of Mexico ports will also benefit.

and;

An estimated $5.25 billion is now being spent to deepen and widen the Panama Canal's Pacific and Atlantic entrance channels, to raise the water level of Gatun Lake – through which all ships must pass – and to install new locks on both sides of the waterway. It's due to open in April 2015.

The project is a response to a problem.

The canal is reaching its maximum capacity.

It's carrying more traffic than it was designed for and is unable to handle the Fabiolas of the world. Termed "post-Panamax"  vessels, these huge ships carry more than a quarter of the world's containerized maritime shipments.

Today, cargo crossing the Pacific bound for the Midwest and Eastern United States must offload at a U.S. Pacific Coast port if the ship carrying it is too large to pass through the canal's 50-mile waterway.

These goods are then routed across the country using the U.S. "land bridge,"  the network of highways and railways linking East and West.

Once the widened canal is navigable, many megaships will no longer need the land bridge.

Instead, they will pass through the canal's wider locks to offload their cargo at a Gulf or East coast port, such as Houston, New Orleans or New York.

"Trade will shift,"  Bachkar said. "Instead of coming to the West Coast, it will go directly to the East Coast and on to Europe."

These eastern ports are hoping the canal expansion will signal the end of an era – the end of the so-called West Coast Empire.

NOTE: while New York has continued to be a major port, team this story with one also in the American Thinker last year about how Houston has supplanted NYC as the America's #1 goods exporting region.  Now, that being said, much of HOU's exports are petrochemical and likely won't traverse I-69 or I-49.

Yet this still tells me there's a LOT more interest in a completed I-49 (which will link to America's top Great Lakes port, Duluth, as well) than there ever has been...

txstateends

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 04, 2014, 10:57:52 AM

Yet this still tells me there's a LOT more interest in a completed I-49 (which will link to America's top Great Lakes port, Duluth, as well) than there ever has been...

OK, but does 'interest' = $$$$ enough to finish what's left? 

Political mindsets are going to have to shift notably and much quicker if the money will be in the transportation fund to do projects like I-49's remainder (among others that could use or need attention).
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

O Tamandua

Quote from: txstateends on May 04, 2014, 02:28:12 PM

Political mindsets are going to have to shift notably and much quicker if the money will be in the transportation fund to do projects like I-49's remainder (among others that could use or need attention).

That's a very good question.  I stand by my contention that there's a lot more interest now...anyone wise enough to connect the dots can see multiple benefits for a completed I-49 that honestly were not there 40, 30, 20 or even perhaps 15 years ago.  As for the $$$$ and "political mindsets"...well-said.  I got in trouble the last time I said something about that, so for the sake of peace and quiet I'll abstain from further comment, for now at least.

robbones

If there wasn't a money issue, could the entire interstate be done in 5 to 10 years?

O Tamandua

Picture I took today where they're apparently building a bridge for what will be the farthest north exit (Rocky Dell Hollow Road) of the future border-to-border Arkansas section of I-49.  Not easy to see but both southern access lane paths for this exit are at either side of the picture.  Again, this is projected to be open by Fall (October, I believe) of this year, and will be where this existing part of the future interstate starts to get useful, as it will open a path from west Bella Vista to Arkansas 72 (and, projected in 2 years, to the both the current north end of I-49 at Bentonville and U.S. 71 in south Bella Vista).

Bella Vista is the very last of the Northwest Arkansas metro major cities not to have paved road exiting/entering from the west.  According to the big wall map at B.V.'s Allen's grocery store, all the land around this section of the future interstate up to the state line is owned by the city for "future use".

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2014, 02:23:57 PM
Which reminds me that Jeremy already has what is apparently going to be the only state-name Arkansas I-49 shield ever made on his wall.

Wouldn't that confuse the sign collectors on eBay if it ended up there in 40 years...?

It is a perfect replica of an Arkansas state named shield (1970 specs?) with the same fonts and overall style, so it could easily confuse future sign collectors.  If this forum were still archived in 40 years it would be easy to show that it was a fake, but what if all the information discussed in this forum disappears down the memory hole?

Here is the sign in question.

txstateends

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 04, 2014, 03:45:12 PM
Quote from: txstateends on May 04, 2014, 02:28:12 PM

That's a very good question.  I stand by my contention that there's a lot more interest now...anyone wise enough to connect the dots can see multiple benefits for a completed I-49 that honestly were not there 40, 30, 20 or even perhaps 15 years ago.  As for the $$$$ and "political mindsets"...well-said.  I got in trouble the last time I said something about that, so for the sake of peace and quiet I'll abstain from further comment, for now at least.

I kinda like 'peace and quiet' too, that's why I wasn't any more specific.  The Panama Canal expansion timetable, as well as other issues like need of better highways in growing metros, also continued vigilance and reconstruction need for aging bridges, are all things that can't really wait for those who don't need to be specified to decide to do things I won't get specific about.  It will help them, and all of us, in the long run.  Then, more 'peace and quiet'..... ;-)
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Anthony_JK

This really could go in the Texas I-69 thread below, but given I-49 links up (indirectly now, directly in the future) with New Orleans and Baton Rouge I think it's appropriate here:

The Panama Canal expansion will make it more difficult for California to compete with Texas

The Toyota relocation to North Texas is one of the largest such corporate relocations in recent memory.   As others have mentioned, the move was about business climate factors, such as taxes and regulations.

I think that there is another reason for businesses leaving the West Coast and moving to our side of the country, i.e. the expansion of the Panama Canal!

In the next ten years, large ships will be able to cross the Canal and go to Houston, a port in "a right to work state" and with quicker access to much of the country.    New Orleans and other Gulf of Mexico ports will also benefit.

and;

An estimated $5.25 billion is now being spent to deepen and widen the Panama Canal's Pacific and Atlantic entrance channels, to raise the water level of Gatun Lake – through which all ships must pass – and to install new locks on both sides of the waterway. It's due to open in April 2015.

The project is a response to a problem.

The canal is reaching its maximum capacity.

It's carrying more traffic than it was designed for and is unable to handle the Fabiolas of the world. Termed "post-Panamax"  vessels, these huge ships carry more than a quarter of the world's containerized maritime shipments.

Today, cargo crossing the Pacific bound for the Midwest and Eastern United States must offload at a U.S. Pacific Coast port if the ship carrying it is too large to pass through the canal's 50-mile waterway.

These goods are then routed across the country using the U.S. "land bridge,"  the network of highways and railways linking East and West.

Once the widened canal is navigable, many megaships will no longer need the land bridge.

Instead, they will pass through the canal's wider locks to offload their cargo at a Gulf or East coast port, such as Houston, New Orleans or New York.

"Trade will shift,"  Bachkar said. "Instead of coming to the West Coast, it will go directly to the East Coast and on to Europe."

These eastern ports are hoping the canal expansion will signal the end of an era – the end of the so-called West Coast Empire.

NOTE: while New York has continued to be a major port, team this story with one also in the American Thinker last year about how Houston has supplanted NYC as the America's #1 goods exporting region.  Now, that being said, much of HOU's exports are petrochemical and likely won't traverse I-69 or I-49.

This wouldn't be a good time to note that 4 of the top 10 shipping portals in the US are in South Louisiana (Port Fourchon, Port of South Louisiana, Avondale/New Orleans, Port of Iberia), right??

O Tamandua

Quote from: Anthony_JK on May 05, 2014, 10:17:48 AM

This wouldn't be a good time to note that 4 of the top 10 shipping portals in the US are in South Louisiana (Port Fourchon, Port of South Louisiana, Avondale/New Orleans, Port of Iberia), right??

Great point, Anthony.  Why stop there?  According to the DOT, here are the top American ports...take a look to see who's on the future I-49/I-69 line:

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_01_57.html

Gordon

How is the I 49 section in Fort Smith coming along? Is the paving about finished except for the shoulders. Also the tie end with Hwy. 71 is it about complete? I haven't been up to that area sense last fall.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on May 06, 2014, 12:07:22 AM
How is the I 49 section in Fort Smith coming along? Is the paving about finished except for the shoulders. Also the tie end with Hwy. 71 is it about complete? I haven't been up to that area sense last fall.

Mostly paved. Work continues on tying in 71. I've not been down that way in a few weeks, so may try to check in the next couple days.

AHTD

We are still projecting a fall completion for this project AND have discussed a "ride before you drive" event to give folks a preview of the facility before it opens to traffic. We will be coordinating this with the Ft. Chaffee Redevelopment Authority. More info as it becomes available!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

O Tamandua

AHTD, I saw a LOT of construction / support vehicles off Peach Orchard Rd., S/SW of Lowe's Bentonville/Bella Vista today.  There's scraping going on there right now, and that is close to where the future roundabout/interchange will be. The trucks were from a Brookline, MO firm (which is near Springfield, not St. Louis).  Yours?

And do we know yet when the shovel-turning ceremony for the east Hwy 72 to north I-49 at the Bentonville/Bella Vista line will be?

Thank you in advance as always.

Arkansastravelguy

For anyone interested

iPhone

bjrush

Wow I still can't believe it. The 49 just looks so good in NWA!
Woo Pig Sooie

Arkansastravelguy

A couple more I've snapped

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 08, 2014, 02:42:05 PM

Making progress, I see. As of last weekend, they had only made it as far as Chester, but left half of Collum Lane unchanged.

I heard a rumor that part of US 71 north of the 71B junction (where 49 ends for now) was also signed as I-49. Have you heard or seen anything on that?  I may be up that way in a few days, so I may check it myself ;)

Arkansastravelguy

I haven't been up that far yet but it would kind of make sense. I'll head up there soon , I want to check out NWA's newest highway AR 549

iPhone

AHTD

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 07, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
AHTD, I saw a LOT of construction / support vehicles off Peach Orchard Rd., S/SW of Lowe's Bentonville/Bella Vista today.  There's scraping going on there right now, and that is close to where the future roundabout/interchange will be. The trucks were from a Brookline, MO firm (which is near Springfield, not St. Louis).  Yours?

And do we know yet when the shovel-turning ceremony for the east Hwy 72 to north I-49 at the Bentonville/Bella Vista line will be?

Thank you in advance as always.

You are correct!

Kolb Grading mobilized this week and has begun moving dirt on the next phase of the BVB.

The groundbreaking ceremony for this project did not materialize. But you can bet on a ribbon-cutting when it's complete!

AHTD

Quote from: US71 on May 08, 2014, 02:54:29 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 08, 2014, 02:42:05 PM

Making progress, I see. As of last weekend, they had only made it as far as Chester, but left half of Collum Lane unchanged.

I heard a rumor that part of US 71 north of the 71B junction (where 49 ends for now) was also signed as I-49. Have you heard or seen anything on that?  I may be up that way in a few days, so I may check it myself ;)

If it was, that is a mistake.

Someone may have confused the fact that I-540 ended at Exit 86 and continued as U.S. 71 past Exit 93 where the freeway ends. The section between Exits 86 and 93 was officially designated an Interstate and thus the first sign we changed out was the first U.S. 71 South route confirmation marker that appears just after you get on the freeway from U.S. 71-B.

GREAT progress has been made in the I-49 sign swap. Apparently we will do the overheads on I-40 last.

Once we proclaim here on AAROADS the sign swap is done, we'll rely on the road geek ground-truth squad to point out any that we missed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.