News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities on a Border Where the Jursidiction Across the Border has a Similar City

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 01, 2021, 12:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

We all know Kansas City, Kansas and Missouri and Texarkana, Arkansas and Texas, but what about other instances where an adjacent jurisdiction names a town similar to the town on the other side of the border?  I say it like that because it could be state level or international.

I say Laredo, Texas and Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas.

Just curious how many instances you can come up with.   

hotdogPi

Bristol, TN/VA
Sault Ste. Marie, MI/ON
Niagara Falls, NY/ON
Bluefield, WV/VA
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

GaryV

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: GaryV on February 01, 2021, 12:45:14 PM
St. Louis and East St. Louis

That was actually the group that made me think of this.  It may not have the exact same name, but IL acknowledges the MO city.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 01, 2021, 12:44:04 PM
Niagara Falls, NY/ON

We could devote an entire thread to whether or not those two cities are, in fact, similar. The name is about the extent of it.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Chicago IL, and East Chicago IN (which actually isn't right up to the border).

frankenroad

Harrison, OH / West Harrison, IN
College Corner, OH / West College Corner, IN
Union City, OH/IN

In two of those three cases, the telephone company switching station for both towns are co-located, even though they serve different prefixes in different area codes.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CNGL-Leudimin

In before Lloydminster.

(I know it's actually one city in two provinces)

Some international ones:
Gorizia, Italy/Nova Gorica, Slovenia
Valga, Estonia/Valka, Latvia
Karesuando, Sweden/Karesuvanto, Finland
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Mapmikey

CapeCodder

oscar

Quote from: CapeCodder on February 01, 2021, 02:37:49 PM
Flin Flon MB/SK

Like Lloydminster SK/AB, one city government in both provinces. Most of Flin Flon's population is in Manitoba, so not that similar.

They technically also have time zone differences. Flin Flon MB is on Central Time with DST, Flin Flon SK and Lloydminster SK are on Central Time with no DST, and Lloydminster AB is on Mountain Time with DST. As a practical matter, both Flin Flons operate on Manitoba time, and both Lloydminsters are on Alberta time.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: GaryV on February 01, 2021, 12:45:14 PM
St. Louis and East St. Louis

Chicago, IL and East Chicago, IN [close but not adjacent] and New Chicago, IN [not adjacent to either]
Harrison, OH and West Harrison, IN
Union City OH and IN
Michiana Shores, IN and Michiana, MI
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Williamson, WV, and South Williamson, KY.

Fulton, KY, and South Fulton, TN.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jp the roadgeek

New York, NY and West New York, NJ
Washington Crossing PA/NJ
Beebe, QC/Beebe Plain, VT

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: oscar on February 01, 2021, 02:42:38 PM
They technically also have time zone differences. Flin Flon MB is on Central Time with DST, Flin Flon SK and Lloydminster SK are on Central Time with no DST, and Lloydminster AB is on Mountain Time with DST. As a practical matter, both Flin Flons operate on Manitoba time, and both Lloydminsters are on Alberta time.

The same is true with Karesuando, Sweden (Central Europe Time) and Karesuvanto, Finland (Eastern Europe Time, in both cases with DST, although useless since they are North of the Arctic Circle). IDK how they do in practice.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Big John

ethanhopkin14

Nogales, Arizona and Sonora
Progreso, Texas and Nuevo Progreso, Tamaulipas.
Anthony, Texas and New Mexico

My favorite might be Caliexico, California and Mexicali, Baja California.  They are basically opposites. 

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

Instead of a similar name, how about a similar type of city?

Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID are both college towns surrounded by a whole lot of nothing.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Steve.S

Semper ubi sub ubi.

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

oscar

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 01, 2021, 10:06:09 PM
Would Mexicali and Calexico count?

Mentioned several replies above yours.

I don't think Tecate CA and Tecate, Baja California has been mentioned yet. Perhaps because the one in Mexico has about 300 times the population of the one in California.

Surprised no mention of El Paso TX and its Mexican counterpart Ciudad Juarez, both huge cities.

Also, San Luis AZ and its larger Mexican counterpart San Luis Rio Colorado.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.