News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

As Huntsville grows, city has $1 billion road projects wish list

Started by afguy, February 19, 2017, 09:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

QuoteThe road projects, in no particular order:
New interchange at I-565 and Memorial Parkway.
Extend I-565 east from Maysville Road on U.S. 72 through the city limits, which would stretch the road east of Shields Road and perhaps almost as far as Ryland Pike.
Interchange modifications at I-565 and Research Park Boulevard at Redstone Arsenal.
East Arsenal Connector providing a corridor from I-565 to southeast Huntsville.
Davis said the East Arsenal Connector - which would not encroach on the Army base's property - would cost about $500 million alone.
Mayor Tommy Battle brought up two other potential projects not included on Huntsville's list: Expanding I-565 to three lanes both east and west from County Line Road to I-65. Much of that stretch of highway is in included in Huntsville's city limits through annexations in Limestone County. And the continued extension of a northern bypass.
The kicker, of course, is money. It's not a matter of the road projects having merit, it's a matter of having the funds to pay for them.
But even as Huntsville has seemingly been a haven for orange construction barrels since perhaps forever, more work is needed, Battle said.
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/02/as_huntsville_grows_city_has_1.html#incart_river_home

cjk374

Just out of curiosity...who is paying for the work on Memorial Dr? ALDOT, Huntsville, or both?

Also...why would Huntsville be responsible for all of the work listed above for I-565? Shouldn't that be ALDOT's responsibility?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

The Ghostbuster

Does the city have any funding mechanism in place to pay for this project wish list?

bigdave

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 20, 2017, 04:28:48 PM
Does the city have any funding mechanism in place to pay for this project wish list?
Yes, the city has a 1 percent sales tax dedicated to roads. It generates $30 to $35 million per year.

The last set of major projects was split 50/50 between ALDoT and CoH.

codyg1985

I don't ever see the "Arsenal Connector" being built as a freeway. It would be a nice relief valve for Memorial Pkwy, but even with it skirting the RSA border I could see the Army putting up a fuss since it would come close to facilities just inside the fence off of Patton Road. Then there are all of the houses and residents along Patton Road that would need to be relocated. Then you have the various swamps that the road would have to be built through, which would further increase the cost. I would focus on getting that northernmost segment along Patton Road built first since it would provide the greatest utility (serving as a bypass for congested Gate 9 and Rideout Road). With all of that said, I suppose it would still be cheaper and less controversial than expanding Memorial Pkwy where it has already been turned into a freeway.

I am a bit surprised that widening I-565 between I-65 and Wall-Triana and AL 255 between I-565 and US 72 (or even AL 53) didn't make it to the top. Both can be a bottleneck at rush hour. I am glad that improving the interchanges at I-565/Parkway and I-565/AL 255 are included, as well as extending I-565 east.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

capt.ron

Regarding I-565 east over towards Chase, Didn't ALDOT just got through expanding US 72 through that area? If they decide to extend I-565 to [and beyond] Shields Rd., they will have to overcome some major ROW issues!!

codyg1985

Quote from: capt.ron on May 07, 2017, 01:09:35 PM
Regarding I-565 east over towards Chase, Didn't ALDOT just got through expanding US 72 through that area? If they decide to extend I-565 to [and beyond] Shields Rd., they will have to overcome some major ROW issues!!

Westbound US 72 was expanded to three lanes through that area (plus a fourth for about 3/4 of a mile west of Moores Mill Road). That, plus the elimination of some crossovers and a third left turn lane onto Moores Mill Road was meant to be a band-aid until interchanges could be built.
Cody Goodman

Jdsizzleslice

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 07, 2017, 09:57:14 PM

Westbound US 72 was expanded to three lanes through that area (plus a fourth for about 3/4 of a mile west of Moores Mill Road). That, plus the elimination of some crossovers and a third left turn lane onto Moores Mill Road was meant to be a band-aid until interchanges could be built.

When are those interchanges scheduled to be built?

codyg1985

Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on July 27, 2017, 10:57:23 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on May 07, 2017, 09:57:14 PM

When are those interchanges scheduled to be built?

I don't think there is a definite timeline right now. I think right now it is more of a road map of what Huntsville wants to focus on next once the other Restore our Roads projects are finished. Those projects they have listed are all going to be expensive (probably more so than any of the ones planned right now).

I would be surprised if the Redstone Connector ever got built in its entirety. The city actually has a project that is almost ready to bid to build a smaller five lane road between the new Grissom High School campus and Redstone Road which would generally follow the corridor of the Arsenal Connector.
Cody Goodman

Jdsizzleslice

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 27, 2017, 11:03:00 AM
I would be surprised if the Redstone Connector ever got built in its entirety. The city actually has a project that is almost ready to bid to build a smaller five lane road between the new Grissom High School campus and Redstone Road which would generally follow the corridor of the Arsenal Connector.

I didn't know they had that project. That is interesting.

What I am more curious about is why Huntsville hasn't lobbied for a main interstate as much. US-72 was built to interstate standards, so the conversion I don't think would be that bad.

But I probably don't know much anyways.  :pan:

codyg1985

Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on July 27, 2017, 11:30:54 AM

What I am more curious about is why Huntsville hasn't lobbied for a main interstate as much. US-72 was built to interstate standards, so the conversion I don't think would be that bad.

There were plans for a Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate but those hopes got dashed because I-22 was finished to Birmingham.

The "Arsenal Connector" will follow a lot of what the proposed route of the Mem-Hsv-Atl interstate would have taken. The city's long range transportation plan still includes segments of the interstate between I-65 and US 431 near Owens Crossroads.
Cody Goodman

Jdsizzleslice

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 27, 2017, 01:34:38 PM
Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on July 27, 2017, 11:30:54 AM

There were plans for a Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate but those hopes got dashed because I-22 was finished to Birmingham.

The "Arsenal Connector" will follow a lot of what the proposed route of the Mem-Hsv-Atl interstate would have taken. The city's long range transportation plan still includes segments of the interstate between I-65 and US 431 near Owens Crossroads.

I would hope they would get started on that soon. Huntsville will only grow (+300% in tech jobs). Here in the next 20 years Huntsville could be as large as Birmingham. Obviously the metro areas won't be the same size, but still.

Another factor is that Florence currently has the largest metro area without an interstate. That is something that should be thought about.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on July 27, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
Another factor is that Florence currently has the largest metro area without an interstate. That is something that should be thought about.
But does Florence need one though? Other than one speed trap on each of the direct routes between Huntsville and Florence (Rogersville on US 72 and Town Creek on AL 20), getting into/out of the Shoals isn't too difficult, especially heading south along AL 157, which is a very nice drive between Muscle Shoals and Cullman.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Jdsizzleslice

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 28, 2017, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on July 27, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
But does Florence need one though? Other than one speed trap on each of the direct routes between Huntsville and Florence (Rogersville on US 72 and Town Creek on AL 20), getting into/out of the Shoals isn't too difficult, especially heading south along AL 157, which is a very nice drive between Muscle Shoals and Cullman.
Rogersville used to be a major speed trap. Recently, the city went wet, and it alleviated a ton of pressure for money. Now they are more chillaxed. Town Creek still is anal about speeding.

Florence has been begging for an interstate for years. Although you do make a point: do they really need one? I can't for sure say. I do know a lot of people who have commuted from the Florence area to Huntsville for work and school.

codyg1985

What would be really nice is a bypass of Decatur. That would make any bypass of Town Creek small potatoes to the cost of a bypass of Decatur, since it would involve a new Tennessee River crossing.
Cody Goodman

freebrickproductions

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 28, 2017, 03:54:08 PM
What would be really nice is a bypass of Decatur. That would make any bypass of Town Creek small potatoes to the cost of a bypass of Decatur, since it would involve a new Tennessee River crossing.
Yea, even going around the south-side of Decatur would require a new Tennessee River crossing, unless we're talking about having the bypass also terminate at I-65.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

codyg1985

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 28, 2017, 11:50:22 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on July 28, 2017, 03:54:08 PM
Yea, even going around the south-side of Decatur would require a new Tennessee River crossing, unless we're talking about having the bypass also terminate at I-65.

In that case it would just terminate at I-65 and it would multiplex with I-65 across the river to get to I-565.

There was once a proposal for an Outer Beltline of Decatur between I-65 and AL 20 which would be limited access, but that hasn't went anywhere.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.