News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FAP/FAS/FAI/FAU numbers

Started by bugo, November 11, 2014, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Is there a list of FAP/FAS/FAI/FAU numbers online? Most FAx numbers were different from the number of the highway.

FAP=Federal Aid Primary
FAS=Federal Aid Secondary
FAI=Federal Aid Interstate
FAU=Federal Aid Urban

If you have any other information about federal aid roads, post it here. Also, when did the FAx program end?

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on November 11, 2014, 04:11:34 PM
Is there a list of FAP/FAS/FAI/FAU numbers online? Most FAx numbers were different from the number of the highway.

FAP=Federal Aid Primary
FAU=Federal Aid Urban

If you have any other information about federal aid roads, post it here. Also, when did the FAx program end?

Not so sure it did.  IDOT still uses the FAx numbers as internal route numbers.  Examples: FAP-431 is now I-355, FAP-432 will be the IL-53 extension.  They use the FAI numbers as the interstate numbers.  For example, FAI-55 is I-55, FAI-74 is I-74.  The only FAx numbers I haven't seen from IDOT is the FAU series.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

NE2

Each state had its own way of numbering these (except FAI, which matched the actual Interstate numbers in many states). Your best bet is old county maps, though Arkansas didn't list the numbers, only the system.

ISTEA replaced the program with the National Highway System and functional classification in 1991. It may still be used by some states, but is gone at the federal level.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

FAP=Federal Aid Primary
FAU=Federal Aid Urban

Nevada's Federal Aid system was renumbered in 1976...this coincided with the state highway renumbering. FAI numbers were the interstates, FAP were US highways, FAS were other connecting routes and FAU were the urban routes–another category, SAR (state aid routes) existed for minor connectors. The numbers were assigned and clustered by county (or urban area for FAUs), and were not repeated between classifications. There were many routes, not all were state maintained–Portions of FAS, FAU and SAR routes that were owned by Nevada DOT generally used the federal aid number as the signed state route number.

When the federal aid system was abandoned in 1991, Nevada also abandoned the system internally but the signed state routes retained the existing numbers.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NE2

I forgot to mention that Tennessee's primary and secondary shields are based on FAP/FAS.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

FAP=Federal Aid Primary
FAU=Federal Aid Urban

You also had FASC=Federal Aid Secondary County.

Almost all Hawaii state and county route numbers match their FAxx numbers, except for the few routes added after the program ended, and also some county routes in central Maui that Maui County went out and numbered on its own.  Indeed, the FAxx numbers were completely redone by the Bureau of Public Roads just before statehood, to replace a disorganized jumble of FAxx numbers with a coherent system that the new state could use to mark its highways (which were previously unnumbered). 

Alaska's few route numbers have zero correlation with their associated FAxx numbers. 

Some never-opened state auto ferry routes in Hawaii were assigned FAP route numbers 6-10.  At least some Alaska ferry routes got FAP numbers too. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

Right here in my hometown, there is still an FAP marker...352...pointing in the direction of LA 563 south of US 80.  LA 563 ends 2 miles south of US 80. but a parish road, Dicks Store Rd., continues for another 2-3 miles.  A few other parish roads in the area have LDH (LA Dept. of Highways) ROW markers just in the edges of the trees.  I don't know what SRs these used to be, but I can't find any old maps online showing these routes.

The strange thing about LA 563:  the spot I described above used to have a milemarker 4 right at what is now the start of LA 563.  But the distance from here to the end of Dicks Store Rd is less than 4 miles.  Definitely a mystery.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

corco

Montana's highways are based on FAP/FAS/FAI/FAU. FAP routes get the square shield, FAS routes get the arrowhead, FAU are unsigned, unnumbered, and usually not state maintained unless they are an extension of a primary or secondary.

Since that system was phased out, I'm not sure that Montana has commissioned any new state highways except the US 93 Bypass in Kalispell  (but that's an NHS route (Montana added in an N- designation when the NHS came to existence for those applicable routes, but there is no number duplication between N- and P- designations because all the N-s used to be P-s)), and a couple secondaries. FAS and FAI routes are always the same, FAU routes are never the same, FAP routes are sometimes the same. Newer FAP routes like 68 correspond to the square shield route, older ones do not.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/publications/docs/brochures/2013_roadlog.pdf would provide all the designations for Montana.

Edit: They just put out these updates, and what I said in the previous paragraph may no longer be the case. Looks like they finally messed up the system by expanding NHS routes and primary routes over secondaries but sort of still keeping them as secondaries- will be interesting to see if that is reflected in signage. The old 2011 log would be a better resource for what it used to be: http://www.corcohighways.org/2011_roadlog%20(1).pdf

NE2

corco

Quote from: NE2 on November 15, 2014, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: corco on November 15, 2014, 01:28:59 PM
Montana
http://archive.org/search.php?query=montana%20federal%20aid%20highway (1943 is the first with secondaries)
http://archive.org/search.php?query=montana%20highway%20log
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_U.S._Roads/Montana/All-time_list
S-574 is the most recent route, created in 2006.

Whoa, nice resource.

A bit more complicated than that- S-574 is the newest "signed" route (it's unsigned) but other internal designation routes like the unofficial US 93 Bypass are newer.

I'm just working on figuring out the 2014 changes- some weird new updates- looks like S-291, for instance, is back as an NHS route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.