Dumbest Allowed Clouds

Started by bandit957, March 24, 2020, 11:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

What are the dumbest Allowed Clouds you've encountered?

One that I've never understood is how in grade school we weren't allowed to kick basketballs.

In college, we weren't allowed to park in the parking lot with the rear of the car facing inward, all because that made it easier to check the parking sticker.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bugo

Scott5114

I've never seen why wall clouds are allowed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

What is an allowed cloud? Google isn't giving me the answer.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 25, 2020, 04:13:01 AM
I've never seen why wall clouds are allowed.

Wall clouds are great. It's the cirrus clouds you shouldn't trust.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on March 25, 2020, 07:21:50 AM
What is an allowed cloud? Google isn't giving me the answer.

It's an old Tim-ism. He was posting about "allowed clouds" on misc.transport.road before you were born.

It's his way of using a rhyme to discuss things that are allowed and things that are not allowed, usually by signage. "Disallowed cloud" is probably a better description.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kurumi

In middle school, we all drank from these:

when they were empty, you could crush them and make a nice loud pop. Doing that got you a detention.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ozarkman417

Quote from: kurumi on March 26, 2020, 12:53:31 AM
In middle school, we all drank from these:

<snipped>

when they were empty, you could crush them and make a nice loud pop. Doing that got you a detention.
Oh my god, the idiots at my high school STILL do that and I swear those go off at least ten times during a given lunch period. Now that I can't go to school I get a break from that. Unless someone snitches on the guy who does it they get away with it.

bandit957

In 5th grade, a teacher got really mad because of people using a straw to blow bubbles in their milk. I kept doing this and making a funny sound from 'Star Wars' and saying, "Oh no, R2!"

index

My city has an ordinance that states you have to park facing the direction of traffic on a two-way street or else you get like a 500 dollar fine and court. No signage for it anywhere, nothing notifying people they can't do this. The only way to find out is to either comb through the municipal code, which nobody in their right mind is going to do, or get some stupid warning label on your windshield.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: index on March 26, 2020, 01:48:22 AM
My city has an ordinance that states you have to park facing the direction of traffic on a two-way street

Fair enough, but I'm amazed that there are any places at ally where you can park the opposite way.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bandit957

Every Labor Day weekend, there's a festival around here called Riverfest, which spans Ohio and Kentucky. I call it Rip-off-fest. Ever since the mid-'90s, they have prohibited people from bringing beverages (including soft drinks or water) into the fest, even though it's on public roadways. This is to protect vendors who charge rip-off prices for beverages.

Each year, I smuggle a bottle of soft drinks in. But I've seen police hassling people who try openly bringing in soft drinks.

Believe it or not, there's people in a local Facebook group who defended this stupidity.

index

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 26, 2020, 12:35:43 PM
My city has an ordinance that states you have to park facing the direction of traffic on a two-way street

Fair enough, but I'm amazed that there are any places at ally where you can park the opposite way.
I did this in my neighborhood all the time because I was too lazy to turn my car around. My house was on the other side of the street from where I'd pull in and our roads are wide enough you can park beside the curb, so I'd just cut across and park facing the opposite direction.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

CNGL-Leudimin

My city has an ordinance that states you have to park facing the direction of traffic on a two-way street [...]

Spain has a law stating the same. However it's seldom enforced, I know Barcelona enforces this.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

RobbieL2415

In elementary school they banned wearing chains from pants.  I didn't get it at first but now I think it may have been related to Columbine.  The shooters wore chains.

This was circa 1998-2001.

Alex

If I step outside after 10 PM tonight I'll be violating an allowed cloud. Unless I'm walking a dog.

qguy

Quote from: index on March 26, 2020, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 26, 2020, 12:35:43 PM
I did this in my neighborhood all the time because I was too lazy to turn my car around. My house was on the other side of the street from where I'd pull in and our roads are wide enough you can park beside the curb, so I'd just cut across and park facing the opposite direction.

I received a $25 parking ticket for doing this overnight in front of my own house around two months ago. Woke up to find the ticket in the morning. Grrrr. :angry:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.