News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 92 in Florida Historical Alignment Question

Started by kevinb1994, December 09, 2018, 05:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

According to Historic Aerials, US 92 seemingly once ended in Clearwater, FL. Wikipedia says that it once was extended westward to Dunedin, only to be truncated back to Tampa (this was in the days before it was extended to Saint Petersburg). So, did US 92 ever extend westward to Clearwater? Or is Historic Aerials simply incorrect?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

It is topo maps from mid-40s. 

Seems unlikely this was real...  Topo maps can have some complete hogwash designations.  For example there is a set of topo maps (late 30s IIRC) showing a US 54 in southwestern Virginia on roads that have never been a US Highway of any sort...

froggie

According to Dale Sanderson, US 92 has only had endpoints in Tampa and St. Petersburg (going from the former to the latter ca. 1952 or 1953).  I have Florida state official maps from 1948, 1949, and 1954 that all back up what Dale generally says.

Max Rockatansky

I have some 30s-40s era state road maps, never saw US 92 past the known terminus points. 

usends

In addition to the previously-mentioned 1940s topo maps, and Wiki's unsourced map showing a Dunedin endpoint, here are some additional maps that point to a Clearwater and/or Dunedin endpoint:
*The inset on the 1939 official does show US 92 on Hillsborough west of downtown Tampa.  However, the main map does not provide any additional detail either way. 
*Brent Ivy recently posted a 1948 general highway map (to the Florida Roads Facebook group) that shows US 92 marked along with FL 590 to Clearwater.

However, the vast majority of maps I've seen do not show US 92 west of Tampa until 1953 (which is when US 92 was extended to its current endpoint in St. Pete).  These include:
*Officials from 1936, 46, 47, 49, 50, 52.
*1934 Gallup
*1939, '40, '48 Rand McNally
*1947 Gousha

Does anyone have officials from years immediately adjacent to 1939?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

FLRoads

Quote from: usends on February 18, 2019, 10:57:50 AM
In addition to the previously-mentioned 1940s topo maps, and Wiki's unsourced map showing a Dunedin endpoint, here are some additional maps that point to a Clearwater and/or Dunedin endpoint:
*The inset on the 1939 official does show US 92 on Hillsborough west of downtown Tampa.  However, the main map does not provide any additional detail either way. 
*Brent Ivy recently posted a 1948 general highway map (to the Florida Roads Facebook group) that shows US 92 marked along with FL 590 to Clearwater.

However, the vast majority of maps I've seen do not show US 92 west of Tampa until 1953 (which is when US 92 was extended to its current endpoint in St. Pete).  These include:
*Officials from 1936, 46, 47, 49, 50, 52.
*1934 Gallup
*1939, '40, '48 Rand McNally
*1947 Gousha

Does anyone have officials from years immediately adjacent to 1939?

By the way, I was looking again this afternoon at another scanned copy of that 1948 Pinellas County GHM to see if it had a better resolution than the other one I found and posted on the Florida Roads FB page, but it was about the same.

I'll have to look through my personal map collection for any officials around 1939 and keep digging at work.

roadman65

In my opinion, US 92 needs to end at I-275 as the rest of it with I-275 there killed off US 92's extension to St. Pete altogether.  Though if that were done you might as well decommission all of the route being in the shadow of I-4, but this one is more feasible being local Tampa Bay folks call the route by its local street names like Dale Mabry, Hillsborough Avenue, etc.

If it were California or Michigan there would be no US 92 and US 17 would be truncated to DeLand. Also US 1 and US 41 would be gone in the state and the overseas highway to Key West would have a state number.  Florida is good to keep old highways but to an extent they should be kept.

US 92 west of I-275 would become SR 600 up to 4th Street in St. Pete. Then 4th would just use the current signed companion route there as solo the rest of its way to Downtown St. Pete.  It was crazy anyway to not have US 92 connect to US 19 so its awkward in a sense.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2019, 10:57:54 PM
In my opinion, US 92 needs to end at I-275 as the rest of it with I-275 there killed off US 92's extension to St. Pete altogether.  Though if that were done you might as well decommission all of the route being in the shadow of I-4, but this one is more feasible being local Tampa Bay folks call the route by its local street names like Dale Mabry, Hillsborough Avenue, etc.

If it were California or Michigan there would be no US 92 and US 17 would be truncated to DeLand. Also US 1 and US 41 would be gone in the state and the overseas highway to Key West would have a state number.  Florida is good to keep old highways but to an extent they should be kept.

US 92 west of I-275 would become SR 600 up to 4th Street in St. Pete. Then 4th would just use the current signed companion route there as solo the rest of its way to Downtown St. Pete.  It was crazy anyway to not have US 92 connect to US 19 so its awkward in a sense.

Personally I'd like to see US 19A truncated to mainline US 19 and extend US 92 westward to meet both routes.  It always seemed weird to me that US 19A crossed over it's mainline to end at US 92.

roadman65

Yeah but US 19ALT is not signed east of US 19 so its like its end dangles in the US route system.  I think extending it on Gandy Blvd and have it continue on to US 19 (or even further) would be even better than down 4th.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2019, 10:08:50 PM
Yeah but US 19ALT is not signed east of US 19 so its like its end dangles in the US route system.  I think extending it on Gandy Blvd and have it continue on to US 19 (or even further) would be even better than down 4th.

US 19A does have a shield or two still east of US 19:

IMG_7045 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

But to your point the designation does just dangle there and doesn't provide much utility.  Gandy Boulevard would serve the flow of through traffic much better as direct access point to I-275 and US 19.

Verlanka

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2019, 10:57:54 PM

Which intersection would US 92 end? Hillsborough Avenue/I-275 of Dale Mabry/I-275?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.