Lanier Bridge, Withlacoochee River in Florida

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 17, 2018, 12:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Revisited a wooden automotive bridge in Pasco County, Florida in a recent article I wrote on Surewhynotnow:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/04/ghost-town-tuesday-cumpressco-fl-and.html

formulanone

The only other public wooden automotive bridges I'm aware of in Florida are on Scotts Ferry Road near the little hamlet of Youngstown. It starts out as paved Calhoun County Road 392 (former S-392) but most of it is a red dirt road which crosses through Calhoun and Bay counties. They look modern, perhaps to deal with logging truck traffic - the only traffic that I saw - but they're also one-lane spans.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on April 17, 2018, 05:57:18 AM
The only other public wooden automotive bridges I'm aware of in Florida are on Scotts Ferry Road near the little hamlet of Youngstown. It starts out as paved Calhoun County Road 392 (former S-392) but most of it is a red dirt road which crosses through Calhoun and Bay counties. They look modern, perhaps to deal with logging truck traffic - the only traffic that I saw - but they're also one-lane spans.

The Lanier Bridge was the only wooden structure I found that was still in use for the general public.  I did find a wooden bridge ruin on Sugarloaf Key on former FL 4a/Old US 1 and one at the end of Niles Road on Summerland Key.

17Sugarloaf by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

1520698_10202125056720506_1180451723_n by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.