News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique about Something Common

Started by roadman65, January 30, 2013, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

djsinco

Three facts about OK toll roads.

1.) They built some toll barriers under an overpass. It helps keep the toll collector in the shade.

2.) They built many of these same barriers at the bottom of a long grade, causing truck drivers millions of gallons of fuel as well as wasted time to gear up.

3.) Although it was a little traveled road to me, (and apparently used by few others at night,) the Cherokee Turnpike toll barrier eastbound was unmanned after about 10 PM in the 1990's. It required (at the time,) $8.50 to be paid, no bills, and no change other than quarters. This was the toll for a 5 axle truck. I wonder how many others were caught shorthanded, as I generally do not carry 34 quarters with me at all times. To top off this stupidity, no receipt could be issued, which made it sketchy to claim as an expense on taxes. I assume this has been fixed in the last 15-20 years...
3 million miles and counting

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 26, 2013, 08:16:37 AM
A uniqueness of something common...in a non-toll road category:

The NJ four-headed traffic lights, with the combo green/yellow arrow.  Rarely do you see this setup outside of NJ.  Likewise, rarely do you see a 5 headed signal (tower or doghouse) within NJ. Burlington County is the rare exception of an agency that generally uses those 5 headed signals.
No...? There are a ton of doghouses up here.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve on February 26, 2013, 07:05:47 PM

The NJ four-headed traffic lights, with the combo green/yellow arrow.  Rarely do you see this setup outside of NJ.  Likewise, rarely do you see a 5 headed signal (tower or doghouse) within NJ. Burlington County is the rare exception of an agency that generally uses those 5 headed signals.
County or state jurisdiction?

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 13, 2013, 10:18:54 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 30, 2013, 12:41:28 PM
Other than the Panamerican Highway, are there cases of mileage signs for cities it's impossible to drive to?  Such as the distance to Alaska from Patagonia, when there is no road between the two?

was just reading, on a motorcycle forum, about the distance from Magadan to Anadyr in Siberia.  there is a sign.  there isn't a road.

Got a picture of that?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2013, 12:35:48 PM

Got a picture of that?

alas no.  go to the ADVrider forum, and look through Colebatch's trip reports - it's in there somewhere.  well worth the look :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987&page=276
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 27, 2013, 12:50:22 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2013, 12:35:48 PM

Got a picture of that?

alas no.  go to the ADVrider forum, and look through Colebatch's trip reports - it's in there somewhere.  well worth the look :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987&page=276

Wow, I just glanced through briefly and that's astonishing stuff. Don't have time to look at it all now, but thanks for the link.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2013, 08:20:48 AM
Quote from: Steve on February 26, 2013, 07:05:47 PM

County or state jurisdiction?
More county. State tends to use a combo arrow and do a four-head inline configuration as you point out. But I mean, Essex, Union, Passaic... doghouses abound.

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2013, 03:54:12 PM
There used to be: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.99368,-94.62254&z=15&t=T

I've read that the tollbooths at the state line were giving Oklahoma a bad image (Welcome to Oklahoma, now pay your toll) so they passed a law (possibly unofficial) saying that no toll booths could be closer than a certain distance (seems like it was 5 or 10 miles) from the state line. 

djsinco

Quote from: Stalin on February 27, 2013, 07:38:07 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2013, 03:54:12 PM
There used to be: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.99368,-94.62254&z=15&t=T

I've read that the tollbooths at the state line were giving Oklahoma a bad image (Welcome to Oklahoma, now pay your toll) so they passed a law (possibly unofficial) saying that no toll booths could be closer than a certain distance (seems like it was 5 or 10 miles) from the state line.

Short-term memory trick. Reminds me of the old joke about why tolls are almost always paid to leave NJ, ("No one would pay to get in, but everyone is happy to pay to leave NJ!")
3 million miles and counting

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.