News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Speed Limits That Are Too High

Started by CoreySamson, May 22, 2020, 03:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 12:13:24 PM
I would do 25 for small roads without a double yellow line and 30 for roads with a double yellow line.

What does the presence or absence of a yellow line have to do with it?

I don't see why this street necessarily deserves a higher speed limit than this one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on May 12, 2021, 12:22:12 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2021, 12:16:48 PM
I have no problem with people treating residential roads as minor collector roads and driving 35-40 MPH through them as shortcuts, as long as visibility is good. One 40-MPH car per 20 seconds or so is not enough to block access to and from driveways, and using alternate routes reduces congestion on the main roads.

35 to 40 is highly inappropriate for residential or neighborhood streets. Too many variables to go such a speed.

Roads where such speeds could be considered appropriate should be posted as such.

It's probably because I'm used to suburban residential roads, not urban ones.

I'm mostly thinking of roads like this one (although this particular one isn't an alternate route to anywhere). I wouldn't recommend going 35-40 on streets that are less than 1/4 mile long, as you'll just have to slow down again to turn.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

I think 30 is too high for any residential street with uncontrolled intersections.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 12:25:26 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 12:13:24 PM
I would do 25 for small roads without a double yellow line and 30 for roads with a double yellow line.

What does the presence or absence of a yellow line have to do with it?

I don't see why this street necessarily deserves a higher speed limit than this one.

For setting limits, IMO, nothing.

For encouraging lower speeds, probably everything.

Example: a stretch of E. Aloha St in Seattle was lowered from 30 to 20 a few years ago. To accomplish this, they removed the center line to make it at least appear more residential: before / after.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2021, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 12, 2021, 12:22:12 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2021, 12:16:48 PM
I have no problem with people treating residential roads as minor collector roads and driving 35-40 MPH through them as shortcuts, as long as visibility is good. One 40-MPH car per 20 seconds or so is not enough to block access to and from driveways, and using alternate routes reduces congestion on the main roads.

35 to 40 is highly inappropriate for residential or neighborhood streets. Too many variables to go such a speed.

Roads where such speeds could be considered appropriate should be posted as such.

It's probably because I'm used to suburban residential roads, not urban ones.

I'm mostly thinking of roads like this one (although this particular one isn't an alternate route to anywhere). I wouldn't recommend going 35-40 on streets that are less than 1/4 mile long, as you'll just have to slow down again to turn.

Suburban roads are a tough situation: not quite urban enough to warrant 20 across the board, but certainly not rural enough to permit default limits of 35+.

In the case of your example, I would need to see it in person, but 30 seems like about the fastest I'd be comfortable going: no center line, soft shoulder, adjacent housing, limited visibility from vegetation, etc.

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 12:31:41 PM
I think 30 is too high for any residential street with uncontrolled intersections.

In the case of Seattle, all residential/neighborhood streets are 95% uncontrolled. These roads are default 20, posted only higher as necessary (but this being extremely rare).

andrepoiy

In the Toronto area, most residential streets are 40 km/h, and there's a push to lower all residential streets to 30 km/h.

There is a suburb called Richmond Hill, where all the old streets have a limit of 50 km/h. (The new subdivisions are 40). I feel like 50 is a bit high for those streets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.