News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Only in these two states...

Started by hotdogPi, January 14, 2021, 08:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Also before I officially say that it's only in these 2 states...
Do any other states besides Indiana and Ohio posts these blue signs at exit and entrance ramps?

Indiana example (link above is Ohio's)

US 89

Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 08:05:34 AM
New Jersey and Indiana: 1xx must be related to xx (and the same for all 3-digit routes)

This is the case in Mississippi as well - all MS 1xx routes are old alignments of US xx.

thspfc

I'm tired of people abusing WY I-180. They just don't understand the greatness of it.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 14, 2021, 12:22:52 PM
Do any other states besides Indiana and Ohio posts these blue signs at exit and entrance ramps?

Kansas does this, but it might just be a Wichita thing.  Not sure about the rest of the state.
example
example
example
example

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 14, 2021, 12:20:58 PM

Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 10:36:18 AM

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 10:31:32 AM

Arkansas and Indiana: Allow duplicating state route numbers with no restrictions

Do you mean they have multiple state routes with the same number, or do you mean their state route numbers duplicate US- or I- route numbers?

Multiple state routes with the same number.

In Indiana it is more that IDOT has dropped roads in cities off their rolls, making roads non-congruent on each side of the city, or have neglected to either co-sign a connecting road or have dropped a highway (such as the upcoming IN-37 exit of the I-69 corridor south of Indy) leaving remaining segments on each side.

Does this mean that, in Indiana, the discontinuous sections are considered segments of the same route, or are they considered separate routes?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 12:35:23 PM

Kansas does this, but it might just be a Wichita thing.  Not sure about the rest of the state.
example
example
example
example

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 14, 2021, 12:20:58 PM

Quote from: 1 on January 14, 2021, 10:36:18 AM

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 10:31:32 AM

Arkansas and Indiana: Allow duplicating state route numbers with no restrictions

Do you mean they have multiple state routes with the same number, or do you mean their state route numbers duplicate US- or I- route numbers?

Multiple state routes with the same number.

In Indiana it is more that IDOT has dropped roads in cities off their rolls, making roads non-congruent on each side of the city, or have neglected to either co-sign a connecting road or have dropped a highway (such as the upcoming IN-37 exit of the I-69 corridor south of Indy) leaving remaining segments on each side.

Does this mean that, in Indiana, the discontinuous sections are considered segments of the same route, or are they considered separate routes?

The mile markers on one segment pick up where the other left off, so I guess that means they are segments of the same route.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

bassoon1986

Also the inverted shields for Louisiana and Idaho is not totally correct. Idaho does have shields that flip from black with white to white with black.

Louisiana's aren't inverted. It's 2 different shield designs and color choices. Originals were green state with white text. The newer ones are white state with black text. It isn't an inversion of the old one (white state with green text)

iPhone

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 14, 2021, 12:52:37 PM
The mile markers on one segment pick up where the other left off, so I guess that means they are segments of the same route.

Aw geez, I thought you were responding to the part about blue transition signs between highways in Kansas.  And I was preparing to reply that the markers don't actually have mile numbers on them.  Then I realized you were talking about Indiana!

(Pro tip:  Trim your quoted material, folks!)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 12:56:03 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 14, 2021, 12:52:37 PM

Aw geez, I thought you were responding to the part about blue transition signs between highways in Kansas.  And I was preparing to reply that the markers don't actually have mile numbers on them.  Then I realized you were talking about Indiana!

(Pro tip:  Trim your quoted material, folks!)
I found an Indiana example, adding onto what I had earlier. Think I prefer Indiana's over Ohio, since the latter tries to fit everything in a square, while Indiana has the full road name, and exit number. For example, on the I-275 and Loveland-Madeira Rd exit, it's abbreviated as "LVLDMDA".

frankenroad

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 11:36:53 AM
I will say this about the alphanumeric county route thing, though...  California and Iowa have a statewide (except Lake County, CA) system for numbering (or at least lettering) them.  New Mexico and other isolated areas don't have that.

Michigan has a state-wide system.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: frankenroad on January 14, 2021, 01:06:17 PM

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 11:36:53 AM
I will say this about the alphanumeric county route thing, though...  California and Iowa have a statewide (except Lake County, CA) system for numbering (or at least lettering) them.  New Mexico and other isolated areas don't have that.

Michigan has a state-wide system.

Cool!  I wasn't aware of that before now.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

New York and New Hampshire: Regularly have alternate routes that go through the alphabet, such as NY 17K and NH 11D

Not true–this is a distinct feature of the Oklahoma route numbering system as well (reaching all the way up to SH-74F on the most-suffixed route, with one-offs for mnemonic reasons for 77H, 77S, and 412P).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Pennsylvania and Nebraska: Only two states with a legitimate I-180 :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheStranger

California and Iowa: Only two states to have ever used the I-880 designation

California and Illinois: Only two states to extensively use internally tabbed exit signs

California and Idaho: Only two states to have had suffixed routes for I-15
Chris Sampang

Scott5114

Quote from: TheStranger on January 14, 2021, 02:15:30 PM
California and Illinois: Only two states to extensively use internally tabbed exit signs

Washington.

Brandon

Illinois and Michigan: One gets license plates and driver's licenses from the Secretary of State.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2021, 02:29:33 PM

Washington.
Does internally tabbed mean full length?

If that's the case, add Georgia and maybe Michigan to the list

TheStranger

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 14, 2021, 02:31:14 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2021, 02:29:33 PM

Washington.
Does internally tabbed mean full length?

If that's the case, add Georgia and maybe Michigan to the list
Wow I had legit forgotten about those other examples!

I remember threads over the years complaining about California using that style but it seems like in comparison it rarely generated mentions for other states implementing that practice too.

SM-G973U1

Chris Sampang

jakeroot

Washington and Oregon: centered exit tabs.

I'm not aware of other states that center their exit tabs. WA uses full-width internal exit tabs*, whereas Oregon uses actual tabs mounted above the sign, but both centrally-mount the legend and, in the case of Oregon, the actual tab itself.

* exception being SW WA, which does things weirdly and likes to use actual tabs mounted on the right edge of a sign as is normal elsewhere.

SkyPesos

Quote from: jakeroot on January 14, 2021, 03:01:49 PM

I'm not aware of other states that center their exit tabs. WA uses full-width internal exit tabs*, whereas Oregon uses actual tabs mounted above the sign, but both centrally-mount the legend and, in the case of Oregon, the actual tab itself.

* exception being SW WA, which does things weirdly and likes to use actual tabs mounted on the right edge of a sign as is normal elsewhere.
Georgia also has centered full length attached exit tabs. Them and WA are the only states I know of that does this, so those 2 can be a pair for this thread.
In the past, Missouri also installed centered exit tabs, similar to Oregon's, but it's all on the sides now. There's still a couple examples left in Missouri though; here's one at I-270 and MO 340

hbelkins

No, Kentucky does this as well.

An entrant in this thread: Virginia and West Virginia -- use markers for their state secondary systems that are used as primary route markers in other states (the circle).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2021, 03:28:19 PM
An entrant in this thread: Virginia and West Virginia -- use markers for their state secondary systems that are used as primary route markers in other states (the circle).
Not sure about the exact specs, but Missouri's secondary (lettered) route markers looks similar to WV's primary route markers; both are squares with a thick black border.

GaryV

Michigan has some on freeway to freeway interchanges.  Maybe others too.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 14, 2021, 03:32:11 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2021, 03:28:19 PM

Not sure about the exact specs, but Missouri's secondary (lettered) route markers looks similar to WV's primary route markers; both are squares with a thick black border.

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Male pronouns, please.

TheStranger

The 1971 Los Angeles exit numbering experiment had centered tabs as well:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3442.0 (thread I began on that topic in 2010)

Also in looking up Illinois's internal tabbed signs, some of them are centered:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8025706,-87.6309606,3a,75y,15.94h,88.17t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIhUdv3pvOOxjoNkaiMpTZw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DIhUdv3pvOOxjoNkaiMpTZw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D52.43767%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8233501,-87.6300093,3a,75y,2.38h,108.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYDzUJKLfhWbGPMULkpDLjA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DYDzUJKLfhWbGPMULkpDLjA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D78.743866%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Chris Sampang

Scott5114

This used to be common practice in Missouri in the button copy era, although they no longer do so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.