News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The same route numbers crossing state lines

Started by OCGuy81, April 26, 2021, 11:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Not sure if this has come up before, but one of my responses on the ranking of state border crossings had me realize (thanks to jayhawkco) that there are two instances of a 205 crossing Oregon's borders.  I'm curious where else this might happen?

Obviously, both Interstate and US 41 cross from Wisconsin into Illinois (though.....does Interstate 41 terminate at the state line?  :hmmm:)

Maybe there's places in Texas where a SH with the same number as one of Texas' interstates or US highways crosses a state line?

hotdogPi

I-295 (MA) into Rhode Island and MA 295 into New York
US 4 (NH) into Vermont and NH 4 into Maine
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

TheHighwayMan3561

I-41 technically ends at the first exit in Illinois.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

OCGuy81

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 26, 2021, 11:52:15 AM
I-41 technically ends at the first exit in Illinois.

Thanks, I couldn't recall whether or not Illinois recognized Interstate 41 or not.

jp the roadgeek

US 2 (NY) into VT and NY 2 into MA.

US 9 (NY) into NJ and VT 9 into NY (becomes NY 7)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

US-311 crosses from Virginia to North Carolina near Berry Hill, VA. VA-/WV-311 crosses the Virginia/West Virginia state line three times, once a short distance east of White Sulphur Springs, WV; then back into West Virginia near Sweet Springs, WV; then back into Virginia a short distance south of there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

If you count them as separate routes, MN 61 crosses from MN into Canada and US 61 crosses from MN into Wisconsin.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SkyPesos

I don't think Ohio have any examples, as they don't duplicate numbers.

For Indiana, first one that comes to mind is I-64 and IN 64, both into IL. Their crossings are only about 20 miles apart too.

wanderer2575

When I-73 comes to Michigan  :bigass:  we'll have that crossing into Ohio along with M-73 crossing into Wisconsin.

ran4sh

I-20 and GA 20 both reach the GA/AL state line

US 23 and GA 23 both reach the GA/FL state line

US 25 and GA 25 both reach the GA/SC state line

US 1 and GA 1 both reach the GA/FL state line, although these two routes are farther apart than the above pairs of routes.

Of course, Georgia has all these examples because (1) all Interstate and US route segments also have state route numbers, and (2) Georgia does not care about duplication of numbers between different systems.

If we include the same number crossing different state lines, then there are plenty of other examples, such as US and GA 17.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

paulthemapguy

US136 and IL/IA136 both cross the IL/IA state line.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 26, 2021, 12:28:58 PM
I don't think Ohio have any examples, as they don't duplicate numbers.

For Indiana, first one that comes to mind is I-64 and IN 64, both into IL. Their crossings are only about 20 miles apart too.

If you're in Owensville, IN, and want to go to IL, you either need to go north to 64 or south to 64.

Indiana has three other interstate/state highway duplicates, but none of IN 65, 69 or 70 reach a state line.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

brownpelican

Louisiana 12 crosses the Sabine River and becomes Texas 12.

SkyPesos

Quote from: brownpelican on April 26, 2021, 09:22:51 PM
Louisiana 12 crosses the Sabine River and becomes Texas 12.
OP is looking for two numbered routes of different quality (I, US, State, etc) that both cross state lines in the state. So for example, if I-12 also crossed a state line, LA 12 and I-12 would count.

epzik8

In Maryland, MD 295 crosses into the District of Columbia and becomes DC 295, which then becomes I-295 and re-enters Maryland just before meeting the Capital Beltway.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Flint1979

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 26, 2021, 11:25:37 AM
Not sure if this has come up before, but one of my responses on the ranking of state border crossings had me realize (thanks to jayhawkco) that there are two instances of a 205 crossing Oregon's borders.  I'm curious where else this might happen?

Obviously, both Interstate and US 41 cross from Wisconsin into Illinois (though.....does Interstate 41 terminate at the state line?  :hmmm:)

Maybe there's places in Texas where a SH with the same number as one of Texas' interstates or US highways crosses a state line?
IDOT isn't interested in I-41 it ends at the state line. I don't know why Wisconsin thought it was going to be extended south.

roadman65

If FL 10 counts it and I-10 both cross into AL.  FL 10 is US 90 in the state paperwork.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

I-55

Quote from: epzik8 on April 26, 2021, 10:52:20 PM
In Maryland, MD 295 crosses into the District of Columbia and becomes DC 295, which then becomes I-295 and re-enters Maryland just before meeting the Capital Beltway.

The MD-295 designation ends (at least the signage does) at MD-175. DC-295 and I-295 both cross out of DC into MD though to your point.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Bickendan

OR 205 does not go south of Frenchglen.

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 26, 2021, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 26, 2021, 11:25:37 AM

IDOT isn't interested in I-41 it ends at the state line. I don't know why Wisconsin thought it was going to be extended south.
According to the FHWA Interstate Log, it crosses the state line for "2.5 miles"  and terminates in Illinois, beyond the state line.

vdeane

Quote from: I-55 on April 27, 2021, 01:55:04 AM

The MD-295 designation ends (at least the signage does) at MD-175. DC-295 and I-295 both cross out of DC into MD though to your point.
Yep.  And it's MD 201 that becomes DC 295.  The Baltimore-Washington Parkway doesn't have a number.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: vdeane on April 27, 2021, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: I-55 on April 27, 2021, 01:55:04 AM

Yep.  And it's MD 201 that becomes DC 295.  The Baltimore-Washington Parkway doesn't have a number.

Upon consulting the MDOT SHA Highway Location Reference for PG County (jump to page 94), MD 295 does indeed exist (unsigned) along the NPS portion of the parkway.  However, it appears based on the HLR that the MD 295 designation technically starts here upon departing US 50 east, and this connection from DC 295/MD 201 is technically a short ramp from MD 201 to unsigned MD 295 despite functionally appearing to be the mainline movement.

So MD 295 does get close to DC 295, but just misses it.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SD Mapman

SD doesn't duplicate numbers, and WY does but the way the WY system is set up the only duplicates for major interstate/US routes are tiny pointless spurs, so this isn't really a thing here.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

US 89

US 95 and AZ 95 both cross the California-Arizona border - AZ 95 just across from Needles, and US 95 while concurrent with I-10 at Ehrenberg.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 27, 2021, 11:58:07 PM
SD doesn't duplicate numbers, and WY does but the way the WY system is set up the only duplicates for major interstate/US routes are tiny pointless spurs, so this isn't really a thing here.

However there are US 89 and WY 89 both hitting state borders :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.