News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What are some alternative means of funding roads/highways?

Started by Ned Weasel, April 30, 2021, 06:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 01, 2021, 08:43:24 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 30, 2021, 04:14:23 PM
Gross. Would you want every highway to be like this but worse? Imagine if we had to add gantries over roads just for billboards. No thank you. We get enough advertising on TV, radio, online, sports, etc.

That's kind of dismissive toward advertising as its own art form.  Arrays of signs and billboards provide a form of stim within an transportation landscape, heightening the user experience while also serving a useful purpose.

"Heightening the user experience" is incredibly subjective, and wholly counter to my feelings on the matter. The last thing that I want when I am trying to operate a 3,300 pound vehicle at a speed of 80 mph is some rich monocle-eating motherfucker sticking his nose into my business and begging for money.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I think it's safe to say I hate advertising in all forms.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2021, 06:11:34 PM
It's ok to hate advertising. As long as you pay attention, you are being influenced by the message

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on May 01, 2021, 06:16:05 PM

It's ok to hate advertising. As long as you pay attention, you are being influenced by the message

I actively try not to.  When ads come on the radio, I switch stations.  If all of my presets are ads, I turn the radio off.  When an ad comes on YouTube, I switch to a different program until it's over.  Etc.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: SectorZ on May 01, 2021, 11:09:17 AM
Quote from: vdeane on April 30, 2021, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 30, 2021, 04:14:23 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on April 30, 2021, 06:02:23 AM
(2) Advertisement funding.  Almost every website is funded this way.  Why not roads?  Billboards are usually on private land, so the revenue stream typically only benefits land owners fortunate enough to own land adjacent to the road.  Why not use ROW for billboards and collect the revenue to fund the road?  Going back to Missouri, this seems like it could be particularly applicable on I-70.

Gross. Would you want every highway to be like this but worse? Imagine if we had to add gantries over roads just for billboards. No thank you. We get enough advertising on TV, radio, online, sports, etc.
Or this  :ded:

And they were building another one on the other side of the highway when this was taken.

Even more dumb is if you check the other side of the sign, it's not even an ad, it's just pseudo-PSA feel-good nonsense, further wasting the already limited rationale for those monstrosities.
Check more of the imagery.  It's a LED display with changeable messages.  In addition to the PSA, there's an ad for Elf the musical on that side.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wxfree

I remember a proposal in Texas to allow TxDOT to buy up land for new roads, not just for the road, but also the adjacent land, which would become highway-fronting property.  That way the increase in value would go to the state instead of the previous owner.  They could sell or lease it for much more than they paid for it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Ned Weasel

What about rest areas and/or service areas with drive-in movie theaters?  Those are kind of making a comeback.  Granted, I'm not sure how you'd keep people coming back when things are trending toward watching movies at home, anyway.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Rothman

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 03, 2021, 05:59:38 AM
What about rest areas and/or service areas with drive-in movie theaters?  Those are kind of making a comeback.  Granted, I'm not sure how you'd keep people coming back when things are trending toward watching movies at home, anyway.
Wut.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2021, 07:17:37 AM
Wut.
Drive in for trucks may be an interesting concept. I just wonder if feature movie duration should be subtracted from required test time...

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on May 03, 2021, 07:49:37 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2021, 07:17:37 AM
Wut.
Drive in for trucks may be an interesting concept. I just wonder if feature movie duration should be subtracted from required test time...
But...a comeback...?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Rothman on January 19, 1970, 01:01:26 PM
But...a comeback...?

Sadly, it's mostly because of a thing that happened over a year ago that caused indoor movie theaters to limit operations, but who knows if they'll have more staying power.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on May 01, 2021, 06:26:59 PM
Quote from: kalvado on May 01, 2021, 06:16:05 PM

I actively try not to.  When ads come on the radio, I switch stations.  If all of my presets are ads, I turn the radio off.  When an ad comes on YouTube, I switch to a different program until it's over.  Etc.

I don't even use the radio anymore, ad-block for YouTube
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

bing101

Electric car tax or car insurance bills to fund highways? I heard things that gas taxes may not be viable in the future.

HighwayStar

kalvado

Quote from: HighwayStar on May 13, 2021, 12:16:32 PM
Tariffs would be a good way to do it.
Perfectly agreed.  Stop importing clunkers from Detroit!
Oh, wait...

HighwayStar

Quote from: kalvado on May 13, 2021, 12:23:35 PM
Oh, wait...

No, stop importing the junk from overseas.

SkyPesos

Quote from: HighwayStar on May 13, 2021, 07:58:35 PM
Oh, wait...

So all German and Japanese cars are junk and we should all be driving Fords and Chevys, or whatever other car brands that are American?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 13, 2021, 08:50:33 PM
Oh, wait...

So all German and Japanese cars are junk and we should all be driving Fords and Chevys, or whatever other car brands that are American?
By overseas he probably means China.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

So we should keep the Honda Odyssey but ditch the Chevy Silverado 1500, correct?
Male pronouns, please.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 13, 2021, 09:44:32 PM
Oh, wait...

No, I mean not US territory, which extends to Mexico, Canada, etc. even though they are not technically overseas.
Yes, we should all be driving American built cars, the Japanese drive Japanese cars, the Germans drive German cars, and both are very good at keeping other vehicles out of their home market. Only the US is stupid enough to screw itself and import vehicles en masse at the expense of our own industry.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on May 14, 2021, 01:24:35 PM
Oh, wait...

No, I mean not US territory, which extends to Mexico, Canada, etc. even though they are not technically overseas.
Yes, we should all be driving American built cars, the Japanese drive Japanese cars, the Germans drive German cars, and both are very good at keeping other vehicles out of their home market. Only the US is stupid enough to screw itself and import vehicles en masse at the expense of our own industry.
So we shouldn't trade with other countries?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

HighwayStar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:25:45 PM
Oh, wait...

We should trade, but at a surplus and as an exporter of finished goods and renewables and an importer of raw materials.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on May 14, 2021, 01:27:43 PM
Oh, wait...

We should trade, but at a surplus and as an exporter of finished goods and renewables and an importer of raw materials.
So an American customer should not be able to buy a Toyota car?

HighwayStar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:28:31 PM
Oh, wait...

Perhaps not prohibited outright, but it made an unappealing proposition. The Japanese consumer is also discouraged from buying an American car.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: HighwayStar on May 14, 2021, 01:34:26 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 14, 2021, 01:28:31 PM
Oh, wait...

Perhaps not prohibited outright, but it made an unappealing proposition. The Japanese consumer is also discouraged from buying an American car.
I do support some level of protection of American industry, but maybe not this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.