News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

To Renumber or Not, That is the Question

Started by HighwayStar, April 30, 2021, 12:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

I don't care about the grid.  Give the first 100 to the 100 longest and then the rest get a higher number.  So if highway 94 was say I-10  and 694 & 494 in the twin cities were 131 and 255 would anyway get confused?

Ned Weasel

Imagine how all of these discussions would be radically changed if routes had been numbered chronologically rather than geographically.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2021, 04:53:13 PM

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 02, 2021, 04:45:28 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2021, 02:38:22 PM

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 02, 2021, 08:48:05 AM

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 01, 2021, 12:29:37 PM
It is too costly to renumber the system.  It is too bad that US 412, US 400, US 425 and some others are offenders, however, the motoring public could care less these days.  They are sheeple and rely on their GPS and navigation systems. 

WTF seriously?  Were the people who used the original road maps "sheeple" because they didn't navigate by the stars?  Am I a "sheeple" because I go to the grocery store instead of growing and hunting my own food?

The fact is that the vast majority of people use the technology available to them because its....easy and convenient.

Sometimes GPS conflicts with road signs and people blindly follow the GPS.

By "sometimes"  you mean "incredibly rarely"  then sure.

I know, just remember that computers aren't perfect.

Neither are paper maps, and neither are road signs.  I'm sure we've all found errors in an atlas and errors in the field.  While I don't use a GPS device, I have certainly used Google Maps (ahead of time) to plot a route where I otherwise would have gotten lost, had I been going by paper maps and road signs alone.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.