News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Non-linear routes

Started by index, May 05, 2021, 08:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2021, 12:03:09 PM

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 05, 2021, 11:49:46 AM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2021, 10:18:09 AM
Utah has a bunch of them that consist of multiple government streets or even parking lots.

Out of all the weirdness... What's the weirdest Utah state "route"?

Probably the 900 range ungraded nuke roads.  Corco recently did those, if he's out there I'm sure he can chime in with greater detail. 

Greater detail
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2021, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2021, 12:03:09 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 05, 2021, 11:49:46 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2021, 10:18:09 AM
Utah has a bunch of them that consist of multiple government streets or even parking lots.
Out of all the weirdness... What's the weirdest Utah state "route"?
Probably the 900 range ungraded nuke roads.  Corco recently did those, if he's out there I'm sure he can chime in with greater detail. 
Greater detail

As that thread notes, SR 900 and 901 are defined in state law but are not in any of UDOT's GIS reference materials. All other defined routes are, though, including the institutional and state park routes in the 281-320 number block - and of those, only the state park access roads are really what you'd call "normal".

Most of the non-linear state routes in Utah that aren't 900 and 901 fall into that institutional route category. In general, the extra spurs aren't signed... but sometimes they are. If you want a full list of Utah's nonlinear state routes, here you go:

Regular routes:

137 - basically a loop off US 89 with an extra spur to Mayfield. This one is definitely signed
190 - breaks into two spurs at the east end, one to Brighton (which ends at itself in a loop!) and one to Guardsman Pass
210 - in addition to the main Little Cottonwood Canyon road, it includes Bypass Road between Snowbird and Alta which gets most use when the main canyon road closes for avalanche control in winter
228 - essentially follows old US 91 through Leeds, but includes an extra spur on Cemetery Rd. to the I-15 southbound ramp

Institutional routes:

282 - three connected segments on the University of Utah campus in SLC. Signage is not amazing but all 3 are signed in some capacity
284 - the road circling Weber State University in Ogden plus its two connections to Harrison Blvd
286 - the road circling Ogden-Weber Technical College in Ogden plus its two connections to Washington Blvd
289 - a set of roads circling Southern Utah University in Cedar City plus a connection to Main Street. This is technically drivable as a continuous route, but it ends at itself so I guess it counts?
291 - the road circling the Utah School for the Deaf and Blind in Ogden plus its connection to Harrison Blvd. Same deal as 289 in that it's a continuous route but ends at itself
292 - the road around Salt Lake Community College in Taylorsville, its connection to 2200 West, and a parking aisle on the east side plus its connection to Redwood Rd
293 - every single roadway and parking aisle, even nonpublic ones, on Utah State Capitol grounds
294 - the road circling the Utah State Developmental Center in American Fork plus its connection to 700 North. Same deal as 289 and 291
298 - the parking aisles and drivers test course at the Ogden drivers license division, plus several nonpublic roadways and aisles in the National Guard's Browning Armory next door
299 - the drivers test course at the West Valley City drivers license division, plus one of the parking aisles that goes there from 4500 South
317 - every single roadway and parking aisle, even nonpublic ones, at the Calvin Rampton Complex in West Valley which houses UDOT headquarters
320 - every single roadway within the Utah Department of Public Safety's Emergency Vehicle Operations Range at the Camp Williams National Guard base in Lehi. Entirely closed to the public

Conclusion: Utah is weird.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 05, 2021, 08:59:17 AM
Quote from: index on May 05, 2021, 08:38:27 AM
For routes that have multiple branches/split off multiple ways, but are NOT special routes. All the branches/extra bits have to be the same route, like...

SH 165 in Texas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_165

And what the Pinellas Bayway would be if Google's marking of the whole of Anderson Blvd as SR 679 was accurate. Which it isn't.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.6280834,-82.7186862,15z

If there's a thread for this, oh well then. I have no idea what to call these other than non-linear routes, and searching "non-linear" doesn't yield much.

What is meant by 'special routes'?   Virginia has routes that do what you describe but they may be 'special'

Virginia is exactly what I was thinking about. For example, you use a secondary (6xx-series) route to get from US 23 to Natural Tunnel State Park, but once you get into the park all the routes are signed with a primary (3xx-series, I believe) route marker.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Mississippi 366 in Golden and Belmont, if the signs and map are to be believed. Personally, I think it's a signing error, but the MDOT Route Log is also a little vague.

Quote from: MDOT Route Location Descriptions"Begins east of Baldwyn on MS 370, Prentiss County, thence in an easterly direction to MS 371 at Marrietta, thence from MS 25 at or near Belmont to the Alabama-Mississippi State Line [note: Red Bay], east of Golden, Tishomingo County."

CNGL-Leudimin

US 281. At least the way it is currently signed at its Southern end. One of the branches is actually Spur US 281.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ran4sh

I've always wondered why non-linear routes, as defined by OP, are rare for road route designations but are relatively common for train route designations (e.g. the A line of the New York subway, the Green line of the Chicago L, etc)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

stevashe

WA 100 is a loop with a small spur that connects it to US 101. There is also another spur at the southern end of the loop, but that part is bannered so it doesn't count.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.