Roads closed for safety you can still walk on that you like

Started by texaskdog, May 10, 2021, 10:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

A few I can think of: Silver Cliff north of Duluth; TX 87 by the gulf that was closed after the hurricane 40 years ago; The Bridge to nowhere in California.  I've only been to the first but want to get to the other two someday.  The old loop road by old faithful near the geysers is a cool walking trail now too.

Max Rockatansky

-  Old Ridge Route
-  Old Stage Road south of San Juan Bautista
-  CA 39 northbound towards Islip Saddle
-  Dirt CA 173

ran4sh

Does this include closing roads in urban areas to vehicular traffic so that pedestrians can use the full right of way? Such as Broadway in a couple sections in NYC. Could be argued that the closure is for pedestrian "safety".
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

texaskdog

Quote from: ran4sh on May 12, 2021, 08:47:55 PM
Does this include closing roads in urban areas to vehicular traffic so that pedestrians can use the full right of way? Such as Broadway in a couple sections in NYC. Could be argued that the closure is for pedestrian "safety".

sure

KCRoadFan

I believe the former Chain of Rocks Bridge connecting Missouri and Illinois, just north of St. Louis - the one which, rather infamously, had a bend in the middle of it - is still open to pedestrians. (The current bridge, which carries I-270 across the river, is a little to the north.)

ilpt4u

Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 08:54:41 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on May 12, 2021, 08:47:55 PM
sure
Well I guess Fremont St in Downtown Las Vegas, then

Katavia

Not sure if this counts, but the Wil-Cox Bridge on the Yadkin River north of Spencer, NC. I-85 was rerouted off the bridge so that it could be widened to 8-lanes onto a new pair of bridges nearby. NCDOT was going to demolish the bridge but enough locals made a stink about it to where they agreed to leave it open for pedestrians and bicyclists only, accessed via US 29.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Max Rockatansky

Much of Old US 40/Carquinez Scenic Drive was closed due to erosion and later reopened as a multi-use trail. 

sprjus4

Quote from: Katavia on May 15, 2021, 04:23:23 PM
Not sure if this counts, but the Wil-Cox Bridge on the Yadkin River north of Spencer, NC. I-85 was rerouted off the bridge so that it could be widened to 8-lanes onto a new pair of bridges nearby. NCDOT was going to demolish the bridge but enough locals made a stink about it to where they agreed to leave it open for pedestrians and bicyclists only, accessed via US 29.
The abandoned bridge appears like it's on US-29, not I-85. The path I-85 followed before those bridges were replaced has been fully cleared and demolished.

MikeTheActuary

The cantilevered westbound roadway of the Harahan Bridge at Memphis TN has been resurrected as the "Big River Crossing" bike/pedestrian path.

(However, it might not count as the decking had been removed after the roadway originally closed.)

Brandon

Wheeling Suspension Bridge.  Closed to vehicular traffic currently, but you can walk/bike on it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.