News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads running through restricted government lands that are open to the public

Started by wriddle082, August 26, 2011, 11:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r-dub

I-25 runs through the eastern edge of the US Air Force Academy.

Right after 9/11 the Scenic Overlook on the AF grounds off the interstate was closed and blocked off to all traffic and remained that way for about a year. Then someone higher up realized that the whole interstate was going through the grounds and if anyone really wanted to try anything, all they had to do was pull over. The  overlook being open wasn't going to change that. Once camera later, the overlook reopened and there hasn't been a problem at all.
Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

codyg1985

I don't know if this counts, but I-10 passes through the buffer zone of NASA's Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. The buffer is there because of engine testing that occurs at the facility.

There were plans to build a freeway through the Army's Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL that would be open to the public, but the Army later rejected the routing due to its proximity to important buildings on the arsenal. The current proposed routing would skirt the Arsenal boundary.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 27, 2011, 09:48:06 AM
Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2011, 12:40:59 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/scroads/sc120-129.html#sc125 has a description of driving through the SRS in the 1980s. Google has Street View coverage of the entire route, so it was accessible in the past few years: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.140016,-81.61833&spn=0.510559,1.318359&gl=us&z=11&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=33.140016,-81.61833&panoid=YBBpKCd-2jVt7STRiwxxcg&cbp=12,159.8,,0,6.05 and I don't see any guard booths on SC 125 on aerials.

I think there are two different types of 'passing through'. One, probably more common, is where the restricted area exists on both sides of the highway but the highway itself is public right of way (e.g. NJ 34 through NWS Earle).

I received an email this week that actually addresses SC 125...since 2008 there has been no southern guard shack, and traffic is still allowed through.  However, you are still not supposed to stop.

I don't believe Virginia has any routes anymore that pass through military facilities where they don't own the ROW.  They got rid of the ones they did have in the WW2 era, except maybe US 60-258 through Fort Monroe which lasted until the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel opened in the late 1950s.

Quantico MCB had a road several miles long through the back of the facility that connected SR 611 to SR 646 (MCB route 8) that was open to the public until about 5 years ago.

VDOT controlled routes through facilities include: US 1 through Quantico and Fort Belvoir; I-95 through Quantico; VA 110 through the Pentagon; I-564/VA 337 through Norfolk Naval Base; US 301 through Fort AP Hill;

Note that the town of Quantico, VA has VDOT-maintained streets but the town itself can only be accessed via a 3 mile road under the control of the Marine Corps Base.

Mapmikey
How about VA 36 and VA 144(well according to VDOT's map anyway) through Fort Lee?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WillWeaverRVA

VA 144 doesn't pass through Fort Lee, it's pretty much the northern border of Fort Lee (the facility to the north of VA 144 and east of River Rd isn't part of Fort Lee), and it has some local intersections with River Rd and Puddledock Rd.

VA 36 passes through Fort Lee and has some barricaded or gated intersections with some military housing neighborhoods. The only non-gated intersection on VA 36 between Petersburg National Battlefield Park (which is an interchange) and VA 144 is the Lee Avenue intersection, which leads to...well, a gate.

Quantico's streets (however few they are) are very poorly maintained. They're technically under VDOT jurisdiction but I'm not sure the Marine Corps actually lets VDOT vehicles through the main gate to reach the actual town of Quantico. I'm surprised VDOT hasn't just relinquished maintenance of those routes to the Marine Corps, but they probably can't for as long as it remains an incorporated town.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.